Mountain Laurel Hunting Strategies

Rack Em Up

I hunt in an area that is predominantely surrounded by mountain laurel. I know there are big bucks in the area but all sightings have gone to 0 both in person and on my cameras. Since it's rifle season I know the big boys have headed to the thick stuff, but the question that remains is how to hunt it?

Should I try to hunt the edges with a climber and get up as high as possible?

Do I try to sneak in 10-30 yds and then climb a tree in there?

I don't want to bump everything out but know in order to be successful I will have to get to where they are bedding. There are a lot of acorns so hunting a food source is not really a sound strategy for where I hunt. 

I truly hate Mountain Laurel. I hunted some wide open state land Tues and ended up in an area of ML that was 8ft high. There were trails going thru but you can only really hunt the edges unless your in an elevated stand or ridge looking down. Getting in or out of it especially in dark are tough. I never venture in too deep because I've gotten turned around in that stuff in the dark and it's horrible

• Like 1

I hunted it for the first time earlier in the week in pa. I found what worked best was observe from a distance trails going in.( I had snow so it was easy to see the fresh tracks). Then I got downwind and let my scent blow in and they would pop out the other side looking for the danger. Worked enough for me to see 10 deer. The only one that took off like crazy was the buck but he was only 30yrds from me when he jumped and had played that game before.