Deer or canine?

Fletch

Looking at the back legs and paws , and the double shade of black and gray on the back of the lunging critter I would say its a coyote . The critter in the background could go either way. Looks more like a smaller coyote . but if its a deer , its the smallest and also dumbest deer in the woods .

There is a little snow on the ground . Check the track . The only way to really know what it is .

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

The snow melted out too much to tell anything. I have a pic of one yote stroll through occasionally but no pairs in a long time. And I can’t see a yote chasing a deer in I inch of snow. It’s got no chance. I have a couple more cams in the area I will check this weekend. If I catch a yote around that may sway me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The snow melted out too much to tell anything. I have a pic of one yote stroll through occasionally but no pairs in a long time. And I can’t see a yote chasing a deer in I inch of snow. It’s got no chance. I have a couple more cams in the area I will check this weekend. If I catch a yote around that may sway me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyotes can and will chase down deer and kill them with no snow .

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

What the heck do you see that makes it look like a female coyote?

As far as the scale, ask a fisherman.  Lol

Sorry Larry.  Forgot you were the expert.  

I have seen maybe a hundred trail camera pictures of coyote pairs.  It is possible that the animal in the back is a fawn.  If so, why is the coyote stock still?  There are limits due to photo quality, but the second animal also looks two toned to me.  What the heck do you see that makes it a fawn?  I may not be Two Buck Larry, but my eyesight is better than good.

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

I can kinda see that, but if even if that is a 40lb fawn then that makes it a 150lb coywolf on the hunt ?

Could very well be a pair of yotes or deer.was just my first observation when looking at pic.have never seen it nor got pictures of it happening so who knows??

• Like 1