Tree issue, input?

22 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Not sure what you are referring to but ok and sorry if I offended you.

The tree appears to be dead like 100's of thousands of other ash trees.  I believe that treatment would have had to be done quite a while ago.

Sorry if I came on to strong.  LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Same issue here in 8H. A little background for reference:

There is also a treatment for it that I have no experience with but may be worth a shot if you one doesn't want to lose a tree:

$500 per tree every 2 yrs if the tree just got infected. Sadly all of east coast too far gone to save any ash tree

8 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

$500 per tree every 2 yrs if the tree just got infected. Sadly all of east coast too far gone to save any ash tree

This is not the case with ash trees in Vermont at all (yet.)  You can treat and save an ash tree that still has half its leaves.  (One that is "mostly" dead.)  Homeowners can also do their own research and treat trees themselves for about $10 tree.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

This is not the case with ash trees in Vermont at all (yet.)  You can treat and save an ash tree that still has half its leaves.  (One that is "mostly" dead.)  Homeowners can also do their own research and treat trees themselves for about $10 tree.

Still feel its a losing battle. I have 15 acres of ash trees dead in 3 yrs 

• Sad 1

Climbers nightmare!!! Do not climb!!!
Some of them still look quite solid but the bark will literally peel from under your climber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been climbing one for five years but I think this is the final season. That tree was very good to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Same here. This pic of the built-in was from this fall. No leaves at all this year, and the bottom is hollow with something living in it now. I did sit in it 5-6 times this year but felt risky. It’s been a lucky spot.

I want reparations from China for all my ash trees!

AA02CC9E-F701-40A3-9A41-ADAE93F06B5E.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

I climbed a new tree in a familiar area this year one dark morning to give a slightly different approach to a trail. All was good until the light came up and I realized I was in a dead DEAD tree. Low wind was then only reason I puckered through that sit

26 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I climbed a new tree in a familiar area this year one dark morning to give a slightly different approach to a trail. All was good until the light came up and I realized I was in a dead DEAD tree. Low wind was then only reason I puckered through that sit

I've done that before. Except I didn't stay. Lol.

Day light hit and I carefully climbed down and moved after realizing the tree I was in was completely  dead.

I won’t miss the ash trees when they are gone, after pretty much using nothing else for firewood, since the first hint of the emerald ash borer showed up, about 10 years ago.  

I so miss the days when I burnt more oak, maple, cherry, hickory, and walnut.  All of those make more heat than ash, and far less ashes.  

The problem I have, is that more than half of the trees in my woods are ash and about 3/4 of them are dead and the last 1/4 are dying, along with most of the trees in the hedge rows.

I don’t think they offer much to wildlife, compared to oak at least.  They are easy to split, but that is the only good thing I can think of about them.  

The town cleared all of them from one propety line ditch a couple years ago, leaving many dump truck loads of logs, most of which I gave away.  That saved me a lot of work, by not needing to cut them down myself.  I will start cutting more  this winter, from the middle.  

Hopefully, I can talk the town into clearing them from the other side soon.  My new nieghbor is ok with that.  The town will only clear them from a line if both nieghbors agree.  (They won’t clear for a landowner in the center their property).

I am thinking I have about 5 more years of ash burning to look forward to.  Hopefully,  none of the dead ones falls and hurts someone before then.   

• Like 1

Three of my stands were in ash trees, including that which I had killed my first antlered buck from, the one I killed my largest racked buck from, and the one I killed the most deer out of.   Lots of memories from those, but it definitely was not worth the risk of trying to keep them.   I replaced two of them in nearby poplar and maple trees.   There were no other species of trees close enough to the other one that were big enough yet to support a stand, but I now have stands on either side, that can cover that spot fairly well.

It was tough on my chainsaw, cutting up those trees with more than 40 years of nails in them.  My older cousin had built the first one before I was old enough to hunt.   I added many nails thru the decades, as steps and supports rotted and needed replacement.  One good thing is that everything is replaced with treated lumber and galvenized lag bolts, so annual maintenance is much less.

I believe that in the spring time ash leaves are one of the highest protein sources available for deer.  Luckily in my part of 8F (near Lake O) I am not seeing much damage yet.  I'm sure it will happen.  On the other hand at a family camp in 9P, near Ossian, most of the ash trees are dead or dying.  Sad to see this, ash is a good lumber tree also.

So since this is the first time I paid any attention to ash trees. My eyes have been on trees all day. I would estimate I have 75-100 of them on my home 12 acres. I have two biggies within range of my house.

On another piece today I have permission and the ladder stand I am in is in a huge ass ash. This friggin China borer is gonna cost me a lotta ache!

You can treat your own trees in the spring with Ian insecticide that contains Imidacloprid.  You can buy it at Lowe's or Home Depot. They make it in granular form that your sprinkle or one that you put in water to make a drench.  I think the drench is more effective.  You would just need to read the instructions, measure the trees at chest height and do some multiplication.  You can DO IT!!!  Might be an option for trees that are less than half dead.  The treatment isn't super expensive if you do it yourself.  Just something to consider.  

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 9:55 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

I was paying 3.5k every two years for an arborist to inject approximately 25-30 trees . Did that until another one told me I can buy the same stuff, measure tree , mix with water and pour around the tree , I spend $350 or so each year now , my trees are thriving .

Three in the back are on a corner of three lots, I didn’t believe they were mine so didn’t treat them till a couple years ago, they’re ok haven’t got worse, not sure if improving yet either .

The DEC won’t let the pros pour it into the ground , and one can’t buy the full strength in stores here , and since last year they won’t ship it to NY.

I either have friends bring it back from Fla. or like this year bring it back myself . I have two years worth here and will bring back a couple more in April .

975A297B-59B2-4E40-A188-A861D1453E18.png

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

1) I bought last year's treatment  at a Home Depot in Erie, PA. 2) $75 per gallon here in Florida, haven't figured out to do $10/ tree 3) May is the best time to apply as it kills the ash borer larvae when they are easiest to destroy. 4) chemical is deadly to bees. OK to carefully use on ash, but if you drench near a flowering bush (think rose) the chemical will end up in the flowers. If one bee is exposed to the chemical it can take it back to the hive and potentially destroy the entire hive!

52 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I was paying 3.5k every two years for an arborist to inject approximately 25-30 trees . Did that until another one told me I can buy the same stuff, measure tree , mix with water and pour around the tree , I spend $350 or so each year now , my trees are thriving .

Three in the back are on a corner of three lots, I didn’t believe they were mine so didn’t treat them till a couple years ago, they’re ok haven’t got worse, not sure if improving yet either .

The DEC won’t let the pros pour it into the ground , and one can’t buy the full strength in stores here , and since last year they won’t ship it to NY.

I either have friends bring it back from Fla. or like this year bring it back myself . I have two years worth here and will bring back a couple more in April .

Maybe feasible to save a few trees but when one has acres of ASH tree woods, there is no saving it.