Rem 760 Pump - rattling

19 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Stamped gun parts vs machined ,inherrant to the style of manufacture, machining cost money..  move up  to a high end gun and you won't have the issue.  Not to be an ass but you get what you pay for.. 

Great idea maybe I will just throw it away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

if you read Bryce Towsley's gunsmithing modern firearms book he explains that there is a o-ring that fits in the grove of the action tube , the o-ring is missing on many of the older guns. Its a easy fix and worked on mine. I own several " high end guns" and when i still hunt my 760 is in my arms.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maddie said:

if you read Bryce Towsley's gunsmithing modern firearms book he explains that there is a o-ring that fits in the grove of the action tube , the o-ring is missing on many of the older guns. Its a easy fix and worked on mine. I own several " high end guns" and when i still hunt my 760 is in my arms.

Learnt something new..thx

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Stamped gun parts vs machined ,inherrant to the style of manufacture, machining cost money..  move up  to a high end gun and you won't have the issue.  Not to be an ass but you get what you pay for.. 

So now someone has to buy a $5000 gun to go hunting?  Those guns have killed plenty of deer and are far from cheap pieces of junk.

4 minutes ago, steve863 said:

So now someone has to buy a $5000 gun to go hunting?  Those guns have killed plenty of deer and are far from cheap pieces of junk.

Never said that , but stamped vs machining  is rattle vs no rattle.  I have a mossberg 500 that riddles like a rain stick  it still kills  but is gonna rattle. 

1 hour ago, farmer 52 said:

Great idea maybe I will just throw it away.

Never said to throw it away.  I have many guns that rattle .   But you do get what you pay for.   That's all I stated .  And the most prolific gun in world  is stamped , you know it as AK 47 or as a sks  effective and reliable. But it rattles... 

• Like 1

His gun was made somewhere between the mid 50s to the very early 80s. That’s back when manufacturers took pride in their product and made good quality guns. I agree cheap guns made today are just that, but i don’t think that’s the case here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rem 760's and 7600's are both rattlers when the O ring wears out .  Thats is whats doing it . You can fix it yourself but its a process. You have to pull the barrel off . Some of those 760's had the red loktite holding them in so you would have to heat gun the joint to get it off . Im sure Buckmaster7600 has done it before and can chime in .  Once you replace the O ring the gun will work like a charm with no rattles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Never said that , but stamped vs machining  is rattle vs no rattle.  I have a mossberg 500 that riddles like a rain stick  it still kills  but is gonna rattle. 

None of my Model 12 Winchesters , My Remington 870 Wingmasters or my M 37 Ithacas rattled....

Every Mossberg M 500 I ever handled rattled..I just couldn't get past that...

11 hours ago, Pygmy said:

None of my Model 12 Winchesters , My Remington 870 Wingmasters or my M 37 Ithacas rattled....

Every Mossberg M 500 I ever handled rattled..I just couldn't get past that...

Your model 12 remingtonnand Ithaca were all machined back  pre 60.   Mine don't rattle either but pick up a new lower priced shotgun and they rattle.  

On 11/30/2021 at 10:49 AM, SportsmanNH said:

The Rem 760's and 7600's are both rattlers when the O ring wears out .  Thats is whats doing it . You can fix it yourself but its a process. You have to pull the barrel off . Some of those 760's had the red loktite holding them in so you would have to heat gun the joint to get it off . Im sure Buckmaster7600 has done it before and can chime in .  Once you replace the O ring the gun will work like a charm with no rattles

Did some more research.  Several videos on YouTube how to disassemble the 760 (looks easy enough).  Also found on another forum that the o-ring can be purchased at local hardware store.  Size is #40 dimensions 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID x 1/16" thickness.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Did some more research.  Several videos on YouTube how to disassemble the 760 (looks easy enough).  Also found on another forum that the o-ring can be purchased at local hardware store.  Size is #40 dimensions 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID x 1/16" thickness.

Good info.  What is this O-ring made of?

2 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

to be on the safe side DD , I would get these replacement O rings .  Some of the guys had trouble with the hardware store rings . not all , but some of the guys . The hardest part of replacing the ring on a 760 is Remington used red loc-tite . That stuff needs close to 500 degrees to soften it up . when you put it back together use the blue Loc-tite to save future aggravation . There is also some special barrel tool that makes it easier. But you dont have to have it to complete the job. But it does make it easier .  Here is a link to the rings. Its a 3 pack for 10 dollars that are made for the 7600 . Cheap enough . 

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Ring-Remington-F15215-Action/dp/B06XH6V3JQ

• Thanks 1

I have an El-cheapo version of a Mossberg 500.  Gun is fairly accurate for a pump shotgun but it's the worse rattle trap I've ever encountered.  My cheap and dirty fix was to put a little piece of folded paper towel between rails.  Just enough to stop rattle if I were to move any in my stand.  Certainly not a permanent fix nor would I want to pull it into mechanism.

But the O ring makes way more sense for you Rem gun