Putnam/Rockland

YFKI1983

Does anyone know of state forest in Putnam or Rockland I can hunt? Preferably one that may have a deer that lives there.

I am pretty sure those are shotgun only areas

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Rockland has no public land that one can access without going through private land. I know because I hunt here. 90% of rockland is also now only due to town Ordinance… ask Biz about Putnam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Rockland has no public land that one can access without going through private land. I know because I hunt here. 90% of rockland is also now only due to town Ordinance… ask Biz about Putnam

@Biz-R-OWorld any thoughts on Putnam.

@Biz-R-OWorld any thoughts on Putnam.

DEP lands in Putnam have deer. Try midweek for less crowds. Just check the signs when you park, some of them have Antler Restrictions (Kent ones I think).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you!

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dep/downloads/pdf/recreation/open-rec-areas-maps.pdf

Hopefully this link works for you. Scroll to whatever county you want and then click in for map and regs. Not at all are hunting so check the signs when you arrive too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. I am in white plains and was hoping to use some remaining vacation days some place local.

Hopefully I can get out there.

Have you tried sterling, Stewart, bashakill, minawaksa?

Those allow rifle as well.

I could meet you at sterling on day and show you at least a good access point. One that was shown to me by a old member… the guy obsessed with morning doves for the old timers here.

• Like 4

Have you tried sterling, Stewart, bashakill, minawaksa?

Those allow rifle as well.

I could meet you at sterling on day and show you at least a good access point. One that was shown to me by a old member… the guy obsessed with morning doves for the old timers here.

I've heard of sterling but never been. I've actually only hunted some Public land near our property in deposit. Only bird hunted thoigh.

I've heard of sterling but never been. I've actually only hunted some Public land near our property in deposit. Only bird hunted thoigh.

Sterling would be a good place to start. A park pass can be obtained for $5 its about a 45 min drive from white plains

3 hours ago, YFKI1983 said:

Does anyone know of state forest in Putnam or Rockland I can hunt? Preferably one that may have a deer that lives there.

I am pretty sure those are shotgun only areas

Arctic-China State Forest is near you  with all that land there why would you hunt down state  3 hours away for ?

Arctic-China State Forest is near you  with all that land there why would you hunt down state  3 hours away for ?
I live in white plains. Our property is 3 hours away in deposit. Just don't know if I can get back out there before season end. I was up there almost half the days in November. My wife will shoot me if I try leaving again.

13 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

I live in white plains. Our property is 3 hours away in deposit. Just don't know if I can get back out there before season end. I was up there almost half the days in November. My wife will shoot me if I try leaving again.

Near Neversink  roundout Reservoir you should take a look like I think 1 hour and 1/2 from you .  

Edited by phantom
  • Like 1

Ninham mountain used to hold some deer but gets hit hard during gun opener. Park at the top and walk the logging road to the left and hunt some deeper parts to the left of the logging road…some good swamp-ish areas.
I killed my first deer (7 pointer-shotgun..no rifle) up one of the steep hills to the right of that road on an opening day