Just got permission to hunt a 50 acre pc .. to late to put up ground blind ?

luberhill

You can go set a hub blind now. Brush it in well and don't be careless.

Fear of making moves is one of the top three mistakes a hunter can make IMO. It bites everyone from time to time. Sometimes you make a move and it is the wrong move, but I can't recall many times not making the move has worked out for me or most anyone else I know. 

The ML season goes into January this year. What does he have to lose with a bonus property? If a hub blind gets him seat time or more of it, I can't see too much negative. Heck, maybe all he does is learn more about the property this year to leverage next. Maybe he learns where not to hunt. Maybe he shoots a Booner. But not wanting to put up a hub blind with a month of season left, one in which there is a period of no hunting? I just don't understand that logic personally.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, phade said:

You can go set a hub blind now. Brush it in well and don't be careless.

Fear of making moves is one of the top three mistakes a hunter can make IMO. It bites everyone from time to time. Sometimes you make a move and it is the wrong move, but I can't recall many times not making the move has worked out for me or most anyone else I know. 

The ML season goes into January this year. What does he have to lose with a bonus property? If a hub blind gets him seat time or more of it, I can't see too much negative. Heck, maybe all he does is learn more about the property this year to leverage next. Maybe he learns where not to hunt. Maybe he shoots a Booner. But not wanting to put up a hub blind with a month of season left, one in which there is a period of no hunting? I just don't understand that logic personally.

I believe he is just thinking the hub blind may spook deer being only a few weeks left..and sitting hidden wouldn’t 

24 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I believe he is just thinking the hub blind may spook deer being only a few weeks left..and sitting hidden wouldn’t 

I believe that setting a hub blind with care isn't going to run deer out of the county. C'mon, let's be real here.

• Like 1

On any new hunting ground I use a combination of still hunting and sitting to get a read on how any Deer use and travel the property. For me that has always been the key to success. There is plenty enough time left to make a kill.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, airedale said:

On any new hunting ground I use a combination of still hunting and sitting to get a read on how any Deer use and travel the property. For me that has always been the key to success. There is plenty enough time left to make a kill.

Al

I’ve never had much luck still hunting , but I’m probably to fast and or noisy 

30 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Why a blind and not a stand? Treestands are way less noticeable and your perspective will be better to view from 15 or 20 feet up....

Well couple reasons , there isn’t a big enough tree where I wanted to sit first off ..

Second I don’t have a stand I can put up right now but I do have a hub blind .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Well couple reasons , there isn’t a big enough tree where I wanted to sit first off ..

Second I don’t have a stand I can put up right now but I do have a hub blind .

If you brush it in well enough near cluttered backdrop, it should not be an issue.  I have had deer walk within a few yards of one I set up in bow the next day.  But it was well brushed in.  

What's the prevailing wind on this property? I agree with others that a brushed in blind could work. I'd probably head to the SW corner (if wind appropriate) with my climber and try to catch them coming in from or going out to the corn in the afternoon. With the options you've given, I'd probably still hunt that Southern area with the wind in my favor. Look for fresh sign and maybe take a seat near it if you find a good spot.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

@luberhill

Any updates on this hunt?

Yes tonight at 4:55 two big does came out of the wooded west side, I didn’t take the shot , it was too dark I felt .

I didn’t have a great shot , about 100 yards but not a perfect shot.

If there had been snow so if I had to track a ways ..,, 

Not sure if it would be a good morning spot or better afternoon 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Yes tonight at 4:55 two big does came out of the wooded west side, I didn’t take the shot , it was too dark I felt .

I didn’t have a great shot , about 100 yards but not a perfect shot.

If there had been snow so if I had to track a ways ..,, 

Not sure if it would be a good morning spot or better afternoon 

Now that you know where they are moving, Put a trail camera out to see whats moving out there :) .

Edited by suburbanfarmer

Hunting farmland and having thousands of acres of it all around , I know a few who’ve tossed a blind in the middle of an open field and dropped a buck post haste .

But most of these are guys who don’t read about or spend much time thinking about deer hunting , so they don’t know it’s “ wrong .” 

A few on the farm are built on old frames with wheels ,so they can be pulled to different fields .

• Like 4

Just occurred to me . The farm that boarders my spot is about 400 acres of mostly wide open crop fields, with one hedgerow which we share , an old creek bed , and a hand full of trees , plus my thicket boarders it .

Theres a young man who hunts it a lot, the first time we met he was walking in with a pop up,blind along with a folding chair , that’s how he hunts it . In and out each time with the blind, often a new spot next time based on what he sees . He gets deer , often when they come out of our thicket to feed on their side , and there he is in his blind he just set up .

I know of two blinds that went into fields last week, once the corn was cut , it’s a yearly thing , I’d imagine they wouldn’t do,it if it didn’t work .