Spooked 2 Bucks

heavuser

Spooked 2 bucks so far this season.

1st

-I was in a blind, opening day, around 8am I hear leaves moving to my left. I slowly move my head to see a nice 8 point buck walking right towards my blind, he's about 15 yards away. I grab my gun, safety off, slowly move my rifle to a cutout in the blind, I gently rest it on the cutout and it makes a very slight noise. Buck instantly spooked, bounded off into the woods snorting like a mad man.

2nd(tonight)

-I was walking a long stretch of field, its about 4:50pm, almost dark and can barely see. I turn around to head back, instinctively I look to my right and see a black object moving, put my scope on it and its a buck! To my dismay its a head on shot only. As I wait for a broadside it must have winded me and ran away without even a snort.

I've read many time that a head on shot wrecks a good portion of the animal. Since I'm in this for the meat and not the trophy I waited to take my shot.

Anyone else have any spooked buck stories they want to share? Opinions on my fluck ups welcomed. 

Disclaimer: this is my second year hunting, first year I saw nothing, this year I've tagged one doe and spotted the above bucks. 

3M

• Like 2

Depending on caliber used I would never balk at a straight on shot. My 300Wby Mag in 165gr makes a small hole going in and destroy’s internally. Have had 2 with this gun and neither had an outgoing hole.         But yes seeing bucks after the opening week rush relieves some of the after thought of not taking a shot.  You may just see him again.  

I’ve spooked plenty of deer, happens to everyone. The biggest concern I have isn’t that it’s a head on shot, but that it’s dark and you can barely see. Remember that seeing your target is only part of it, you have to be able to see  what is in front of and beyond it. Keep at it, it sounds like your doing well for your 2nd year in. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The best part is your seeing bucks during gun season!  Which is more than a lot of us "seasoned" hunters can say. The more opportunities the better chance to fill out a tag.  Sounds like however your hunting your doing it right if your seeing them just haven't sealed the deal yet. Good luck. 

I think it's just shear persistence. I live right on the boarder of Stewart State Forest so I go out every day around 4pm. Thanks for the words!

59 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Depending on caliber used I would never balk at a straight on shot. My 300Wby Mag in 165gr makes a small hole going in and destroy’s internally. Have had 2 with this gun and neither had an outgoing hole.         But yes seeing bucks after the opening week rush relieves some of the after thought of not taking a shot.  You may just see him again.  

Savage 220, loaded with rem accutips. I have to imagine the internal mangling would have been extensive?

57 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

I was walking out to a point that goes out into a pond . Looked around  didn't see anything . Thought this is the best time to pee . Put my gun down unbutton my pants pulled them down and a buck jumped up out from behind a brush pile . Scared the pee right out of me . Lolol

LOL, great story man. Really cheered me up.

53 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Hope that does not happen with the Big ol Birds down the Line- lol!

Let's hope, learn by trial and error ... right?

42 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I’ve spooked plenty of deer, happens to everyone. The biggest concern I have isn’t that it’s a head on shot, but that it’s dark and you can barely see. Remember that seeing your target is only part of it, you have to be able to see  what is in front of and beyond it. Keep at it, it sounds like your doing well for your 2nd year in. 

I don't know if this makes much sense but looking through my scope aloud me to see everything much clearer. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my eyes or if this is normal when using optics. I believe the shot would have been safe but in the end it wasn't meant to happen so who knows! Appreciate the kind words, I'm trying very hard this season. 

17 minutes ago, heavuser said:

I think it's just shear persistence. I live right on the boarder of Stewart State Forest so I go out every day around 4pm. Thanks for the words!

Savage 220, loaded with rem accutips. I have to imagine the internal mangling would have been extensive?

LOL, great story man. Really cheered me up.

Let's hope, learn by trial and error ... right?

I don't know if this makes much sense but looking through my scope aloud me to see everything much clearer. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my eyes or if this is normal when using optics. I believe the shot would have been safe but in the end it wasn't meant to happen so who knows! Appreciate the kind words, I'm trying very hard this season. 

You shouldn't look through your scope to identify what an object is.

What if said black moving object was a person wearing dark clothing now you have them in your crosshairs

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Red said:

You shouldn't look through your scope to identify what an object is.

What if said black moving object was a person wearing dark clothing now you have them in your crosshairs

Lesson learned, what seems like common sense after reading what you wrote definitely did not cross my mind at that moment. Just one more reason I need to pick up some glass, thank you.

Optics do gather more light so they do make it easier to see when it is getting dark.  A good set of binocs are worth their weight in gold.  But a good set doesn't have to cost a fortune.  Good binocs can be had for $200.  Study the details about binocs to learn what you want and need.  I have found 8x40mm binocs to be perfect for hunting in NY where your shots will be 300 yards or less.  Plenty of magnification to check out antlers and plenty of front lens to gather enough light to see at dawn or dusk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Optics do gather more light so they do make it easier to see when it is getting dark.  A good set of binocs are worth their weight in gold.  But a good set doesn't have to cost a fortune.  Good binocs can be had for $200.  Study the details about binocs to learn what you want and need.  I have found 8x40mm binocs to be perfect for hunting in NY where your shots will be 300 yards or less.  Plenty of magnification to check out antlers and plenty of front lens to gather enough light to see at dawn or dusk.

Good to know. Just picked up some 8x42mm Vortex glass from amazon. Ya'll are a wealth of information!

Becoming a proficient hunter is not easy when your only mentor is google....

• Like 3

I just saw this article online and thought you might be interested.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2021/7/8/5-books-every-hunter-should-read

Also, you can learn a lot from a good hunting magazine that is delivered every month.  The articles in it will teach you a lot.  As a hunter, you should consider joining the NRA and having them send you the monthly issue of American Hunter.  It's one of the best hunting magazines you can read and it's free with your membership.  All hunters benefit from the NRA's support for hunting and hunter safety, so being a member supports that too.

• Thanks 1

Happens to everyone! If you are seeing them, you are doing something right. During crossbow i was in my stand, had a Buck appear over my right shoulder walking behind me, when i grabbed my crossbow and turned to my left the sling hit the stand. That little noise made him bolt about 20 yds and then only offered my a rear end shot as he walked out of my life. Keep at it!

3 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Happens to everyone! If you are seeing them, you are doing something right. During crossbow i was in my stand, had a Buck appear over my right shoulder walking behind me, when i grabbed my crossbow and turned to my left the sling hit the stand. That little noise made him bolt about 20 yds and then only offered my a rear end shot as he walked out of my life. Keep at it!

Ugh, it's one of the worst feelings ever! All that time invested in going out, freezing my ass off, hungry, all to spook a deer I have waited days for. The... worst...