Wyoming County Holiday Hunt

WNYTRPR

I’d imagine some trails being closed to snowmobiles after farmers got wind of this ,if they actually want the hunt and it gets stopped .
That's what I don't get. These snowmobile clubs are on borrowed land. Land that people may hunt on. If I was planning on the hunt, and it got canceled I sure wouldn't allow the trails through my property.

Regardless. I can't remember the last time the trails were opened on the official date, due to lack of snow.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

That's what I don't get. These snowmobile clubs are on borrowed land. Land that people may hunt on. If I was planning on the hunt, and it got canceled I sure wouldn't allow the trails through my property.

Regardless. I can't remember the last time the trails were opened on the official date, due to lack of snow.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Rarely if ever are they open .I know the club near me has lost a lot of ground in the past ,due to their leaders being idiots .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 2

So someone on here talked with Nick Mecca from the Eden Trail Blazers? Well, it wasn't the club's decision. The Erie County Federation of Snowmobile Clubs decided to stay closed until January 2nd no matter how much snow comes. The DEC doesn't decide when trails can open. When I started riding in 2005 trails opened December 15th. Since then, we have lost over 2 weeks of riding and hunting has been extended a month in the Southern Zone. How long do you need to hunt deer? About 3 months apparently but I'm sure one day it will be longer. I also like the threats that if the holiday hunt is opted out of the landowners will shut the trails down in retaliation. That's classy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ddk68 said:

So someone on here talked with Nick Mecca from the Eden Trail Blazers? Well, it wasn't the club's decision. The Erie County Federation of Snowmobile Clubs decided to stay closed until January 2nd no matter how much snow comes. The DEC doesn't decide when trails can open. When I started riding in 2005 trails opened December 15th. Since then, we have lost over 2 weeks of riding and hunting has been extended a month in the Southern Zone. How long do you need to hunt deer? About 3 months apparently but I'm sure one day it will be longer. I also like the threats that if the holiday hunt is opted out of the landowners will shut the trails down in retaliation. That's classy. 

More time to hunt the better lol.why you so worried ?you won’t be riding anyway .Unless you plan on riding in mud ?

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 4

And this idea that there is never enough snow to ride in December is a myth. Last year we had 3' in Erie County on December 26th. 3 years ago the riding was great in Cherry Creek before New Years. Be that as it may, no clubs anywhere will open the trails until everyway to kill deer has been exhausted. And currently, no county in WNY has opted out out so enjoy your time in tree stand after Christmas.

6 minutes ago, ddk68 said:

9 minutes ago, ddk68 said:

Perhaps the owners kids come.home from service or school  amd.want to hunt ,  trail.can be open now the clubs use intelligence ro keep them closed to not tick of.owners .  And as a trail rider using other people land  it shouldn't matter to you when the open them   want land to ride on buy it pay taxes on it..   trails maybe lost to this I've seen them lost fornpeople.just.leaving them.   Never take anyone's generosity.for.granted  land owners are funny  when you can't ride at all then maybe people will wise up. Had idiots out on a trail by me.last week with 4 inches of snow on unfrozen ground..   we never rod  unless ground was froze with 4 info snow or 12 in without..   love to know who got paid off to even bring it up to try and cancel it

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

They dont want safety, they want their trails opened

True , but “ Their “ trails are on “ our “ land . Well not really I deny them access every year ,the farm let’s them cross some of their land where they dont hunt .

• Like 2

I am pleased to hear that the Erie county federation on snowmobile clubs decided to stay closed until January 2.  Thanks for that information ddk68.   Now I don't have to sweat it until Christmas.  What I like best about that 7 day Holiday season, is that it includes (2) paid work holiday days for me.   I think this will be the first time ever, that I got paid to hunt on a week day, without having to take a vacation day.   I used my last one of those for this year for December 30th (I plan on hunting that day, and the two included weekend days, for a total of 5 of the 7 days).  

This is even better than the early antlerless season that they gave us this September, in most of Erie county, because antlered deer will be in play.  I missed out on most of crossbow season this year, due to our daughter's playoff run in field hockey, so I still have a buck tag that I now think I have a good chance of using.    

Currently, there are no club snowmobile trails crossing our farm, but I would gladly let them open a spur, along a mowed gas line right of way that crosses it, mostly because the snowmobilers have been so considerate of us Muzzleloader hunters.   Back before global warming, I did a lot of snowmobiling myself.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ddk68 said:

8 hours ago, ddk68 said:

And this idea that there is never enough snow to ride in December is a myth. Last year we had 3' in Erie County on December 26th. 3 years ago the riding was great in Cherry Creek before New Years. Be that as it may, no clubs anywhere will open the trails until everyway to kill deer has been exhausted. And currently, no county in WNY has opted out out so enjoy your time in tree stand after Christmas.

So, you joined a hunting forum for the sole reason of arguing about snowmobiling?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ddk68 said:

I also like the threats that if the holiday hunt is opted out of the landowners will shut the trails down in retaliation. That's classy. 

Our hunting property is in Wyoming County with trails. Class has nothing to do with it. Do you pay the taxes on the property? It's a privilege to ride on others property.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

So, you joined a hunting forum for the sole reason of arguing about snowmobiling?

Why not?  

Not the first time, won’t be the last we have that happen.  Probably a Hunter that is passionate about sledding.   Plenty of them out there.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ddk68 said:

How long do you need to ride your snowmobile?

10 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Why not?  

Not the first time, won’t be the last we have that happen.  Probably a Hunter that is passionate about sledding.   Plenty of them out there.   

So I guess the political guys and the mass video spammer fall into this category? I see things so much more clearly now, thank you.

To the original topic, I still feel the riders need to let this go,It's not enough days lost to make this much of a fuss over.

Then there's what was mentioned in another thread about this very same topic, it should be the DEC making the seasons, not local towns or counties.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

So I guess the political guys and the mass video spammer fall into this category? I see things so much more clearly now, thank you.

To the original topic, I still feel the riders need to let this go,It's not enough days lost to make this much of a fuss over.

Then there's what was mentioned in another thread about this very same topic, it should be the DEC making the seasons, not local towns or counties.

What do you see more clearly?