Deer drives

WNYTRPR

We always do drives on the last Sunday of Rifle season. It's always one of my favorite days cause i get to see the guys all day and don't worry about being quiet. Not sure it will happen this year though. Its been a strange year with people in my group not hunting as much (to much work) and our group leader being down with a bad hip. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Why would that matter ?

I don't want to hunt with a group of people I don't know . 

Muzzleloader  one shot one kill make it count versus  spray and pray. 

150 yds too 200 versus  4 or 500 yds travel .

Just my personal  feelings about driving. 

• Like 5

We used to have a big group of guys get together one day out of the weekend and push all day. Those days have past lucky we can get 5 or 6 guys now. Mostly when my wife's family comes from Massachusetts. On the other hand that's how they are hunting all this week in mass. Big group of guys pushing 100 yards by 100 yard parcels driver to watchers no escape most deer in the drive get harvested. I quit hunting down there after my first year had slugs flying by not for me. I fought in a war lucky to come home. Not being shot doing what I love. Very effective way of hunting if enough people and people are set up right.

• Like 1

We do big bow only drives on some 3S land each year. Its a big chuck of private land that only 2 guys hunt all year. Last 2 weekends of the year we push it pretty hard and manage a few deer in the group. When done correctly they are pretty safe and they are what i look forward to all year. 

We do big bow only drives on some 3S land each year. Its a big chuck of private land that only 2 guys hunt all year. Last 2 weekends of the year we push it pretty hard and manage a few deer in the group. When done correctly they are pretty safe and they are what i look forward to all year. 

Ummm…I live in 3S…just saying!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Only during muzzleloader .We don't  during  the rifle season  . Turned down a group hunt last week because I didn't know any of the other guys that were all carrying rifles .

6 hours ago, luberhill said:

Why would that matter ?

If you do not know any of the guys, you have no idea if they are careful and safe.  It matters because every year at least one hunter dies because another careless and reckless hunter shoots him/her. 

• Like 1

Got my buck opening day, while I was walking to my starting point on the first deer drive of the season.

I've been hunting and deer driving with the same crew of guys + gals for almost 40 years.

We wear blaze orange and have radios.

New hunters shadow seasoned hunters.

With the lack of hunting pressure, if you want to see deer, you need to push them around, especially the bucks that wait until dark to move around.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Ummm…I live in 3S…just saying!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we get a little closer to the dates, and the group starts texting, ill surely ask.

Good group of guys and almost always looking for new guys. Somehow every year less and less guys can commit. Will prob be Sat or Sunday 12/18 

• Like 2