Deer drives

WNYTRPR

Used to do them more often, now not so much, everyone kind of hunts when they can now. The neighbors on our lease do them constantly, that's the only way they hunt. If done properly and shots are only taken when they should be they're great. Too many times they aren't though. The Mennonites drove the piece right beside me on Thanksgiving morning this year. They shot 14 times and brought out one deer. They pushed 4 does to me which I shot one at 10 yds and let the rest go. There was 12-15 guys in a +/- 15 acre piece, shooting slugs all over the place, and came out with one deer. If that's not the definition of bad shooting and unsafe I'm not sure what is. I can't believe someone in their party hasn't been shot yet. Not to mention they hit and lose A LOT of deer, I know because I've spoken to them and they have no qualms telling you.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Just got invited to do drives on Sunday with one of my hunting buddies on land i have never been on and with guys i have never hunted with. I said yes, but now i am rethinking that....I have been hunting with this guy for 20 years. I can't imagine he would hunt with people that are unsafe.....hmmm

Edited by ApexerER

6 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Just got invited to do drives on Sunday with one of my hunting buddies on land i have never been on and with guys i have never hunted with. I said yes, but now i am rethinking that....I have been hunting with this guy for 20 years. I can't imagine he would hunt with people that are unsafe.....hmmm

I'd claim a sitter hopefully in a stand

We do some drives on the last two days of muzzleloader. Small group, 3-6 people, all longtime friends. Only on private land. It’s always a hoot, we get deer moving and it’s a rare year that we don’t harvest at least one. Some years it’s 4-5. We do semi-quiet drives, no yelling, just zigzagging our way across the land. Not really trying to be quiet, just not being vocal. 

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We did three pushes today that are usually money and only saw two deer. Found a real nice buck with a Rage Above the Cage35da795d60cddef7549e0a8b7694c3f5.jpg
85478feb057d7f9e075f5f4b61968de3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hopefully the ballistics forensics can narrow down the shooter. Have you contacted Lancaster Archery yet?

10 hours ago, chrisw said:

Used to do them more often, now not so much, everyone kind of hunts when they can now. The neighbors on our lease do them constantly, that's the only way they hunt. If done properly and shots are only taken when they should be they're great. Too many times they aren't though. The Mennonites drove the piece right beside me on Thanksgiving morning this year. They shot 14 times and brought out one deer. They pushed 4 does to me which I shot one at 10 yds and let the rest go. There was 12-15 guys in a +/- 15 acre piece, shooting slugs all over the place, and came out with one deer. If that's not the definition of bad shooting and unsafe I'm not sure what is. I can't believe someone in their party hasn't been shot yet. Not to mention they hit and lose A LOT of deer, I know because I've spoken to them and they have no qualms telling you.

They hit and lose a lot of deer...Kinda like bowhunters  ??....

• Thanks 1

They hit and lose a lot of deer...Kinda like bowhunters  ??....
If that's some sort of crack, I'm not playing your game. People lose deer regardless of implement. If you're going to argue that deer drives aren't more likely to wound deer than another form of hunting I think you should pull your head out of the sand...

17 minutes ago, chrisw said:

If that's some sort of crack, I'm not playing your game. People lose deer regardless of implement. If you're going to argue that deer drives aren't more likely to wound deer than another form of hunting I think you should pull your head out of the sand...

I’ll say Pygmy may be on the right track 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I knew it would draw fire.....Of course deer drives are more likely to wound deer than some other types of hunting, like shooting from a steady rest from a stand, or even still hunting...But bowhunting  ??   I'm not talking about the super skilled elite, just the average  person that  enjoys hunting with his bow....I have done all kinds of hunting, including bowhunting, and there are many things that can happen between the arrow rest and the target, some beyond the control of the shooter....

In my experience over the last 60 years or so,  sharing experience with many of my peers, a lot of whom are very  accomplished bowhunters,  I would say the wounding/loss rate is higher for bowhunters is higher  than for ANY firearms hunters, including those who drive deer..

And as far as having my head in the sand, I really thought better of you to make such a comment...

This isn't my first day off the turnip truck, Sonny Boy....

No way   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After careful consideration, knowing that most deer drives require a running shot VS bow shots requiring the damn stars to align, I'd have to agree with pygmy. It makes sense and any of us bow hunters that also tote a gun should see that truth.

Side note. Pygmy was around and hunting before there was trucks, and even turnips.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

How many deer are killed during gun season? How many during archery? If any bullet/arrow has the propensity to wound regardless of scenario then simple math should tell you that gun season would result in more misplaced shots. No? The average bowhunters kills 1 deer every 3 years. This "the bowhunters are wounding all of the deer" BS is outdated.

After careful consideration, knowing that most deer drives require a running shot VS bow shots requiring the damn stars to align, I'd have to agree with pygmy. It makes sense and any of us bow hunters that also tote a gun should see that truth.

Side note. Pygmy was around and hunting before there was trucks, and even turnips.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I don't care if he's hunted for 80 years. That's pretty irrelevant. Time spent doesn't directly relate to being an expert. I know hunters that have hunted forever and still don't have a clue what they're doing. I'm not saying Pygmy is clueless by any means. I'm saying that because someone tells me that they're old doesn't mean they're right.

• Like 1

Trad bow<(less effective than)compound bow<crossbow<flintlock<shotgun<inline muzzleloader<rifle

shooting at running deer<walking deer<standing deer

Not too complicated, shooting at a running deer with a trad bow is on the stupidest end of the spectrum.......

The next thing is why do drives have to be shots at running deer? I guess like most things folks like to generalize. Drives can be safe, slow and shots at standing still deer. Done right the deer will more than not stop often to check their backtrail. Or when given a sharp grunt, bark or even holler.

• Like 2