Deer drives

WNYTRPR

As a youngster I got caught up in deer drives. It was great at the time but as I became older I thought it was a bit unsafe and rather just sit them out. Now I like to do a 1 man drive toward someone sitting that hasn't had any luck. Deer drives are just another way to put one down. Not my thing now but "it is what it is"

On 12/31/2021 at 6:40 PM, First-light said:

My neighbor to my north is huge on QDM. Preaches it all the time. I get it and do my part. They start driving deer at 9-9:30 opening morning. No wonder we fill the deer pole so early on opening day! lol

12239474_1666541033599800_2523963358215350739_n.jpg

65911514397__0521389C-27F6-4C47-BA25-DED1CE32864F.jpeg

Not to derail..do you have plans for building that deer pole..

On 12/23/2021 at 7:08 PM, Nomad said:

I think my hip, problems today can be traced to,our drives in the 90s . Sit till,9 drive till 3, then sit again .

Thing Was the drives required walking miles often through plowed up muddy farm fields , pounds of mud on each boot ,and many times I’d stop to try and pull my foot free, which I’d feel in the hip,joint .

Drives were way more fun then sitting in a tree , we knew where they’d run,the action was outstanding .

My absolute favorite buck is a litlle 7 pt my 14 y/o daughter pushed out of ditch and I dropped on a full out run . 

I remember that story from the past yr :) 

One of my best friends, who passed away a few years ago, was really into drives.  I went on a few with him where multiple deer were killed, but I was not at all comfortable hunting like that.  

Had it not been for a “near miss” that I experienced, a few years prior, I would have felt different about them, I suppose.

If you ever get the chance to feel a 12 gauge shotgun slug pass by your face, before you hear the gun go off, and you still like to do deer drives, then you are a lot braver than I am. 

These days, I prefer to hunt in the Adirondack mountains, and far from all others.   On the flat lands around home, where there might be other hunters around, I prefer to be hunting from a position that is 4 to 10 feet above ground level, and safely out of the cross fire:

EC55FE88-55E8-4DAA-89CE-CEFF143D82B1.thumb.jpeg.76512cf3fe80d48870cc867607ca86aa.jpeg

Two of the three deer in our freezer, from last year, and soon to be one from yesterday, were taken from this super comfortable perch, 9 feet up.  The other was taken near the top of a very remote Adirondack ridge, while I was seated in an extremely  comfortable tree hammock chair.  

The older I get, the more comfortable I like to be while hunting, and there is no substitute for a comfortable chair.  I spent $ 8, at a barn sale up in Alex bay last summer, on the fancy, padded, adjustable office chair that I shot three off of (from the blind in the picture up above).  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I did some deer drives when I first started hunting. It was fun. Then I started getting the idea that I wanted the deer that I get to be a little more "one-on-one". I wanted the success or failure to be mine alone, based on only my actions and efforts and skills instead of a gang-thing. I guess we all have our little quirks about how we approach hunting and what we need to have satisfied in our hunting results. But anyway, deer drives became a thing of the past for me, but I'll bet they are still fun for those that do them.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 5:49 AM, wolc123 said:

One of my best friends, who passed away a few years ago, was really into drives.  I went on a few with him where multiple deer were killed, but I was not at all comfortable hunting like that.  

Had it not been for a “near miss” that I experienced, a few years prior, I would have felt different about them, I suppose.

If you ever get the chance to feel a 12 gauge shotgun slug pass by your face, before you hear the gun go off, and you still like to do deer drives, then you are a lot braver than I am. 

These days, I prefer to hunt in the Adirondack mountains, and far from all others.   On the flat lands around home, where there might be other hunters around, I prefer to be hunting from a position that is 4 to 10 feet above ground level, and safely out of the cross fire:

EC55FE88-55E8-4DAA-89CE-CEFF143D82B1.thumb.jpeg.76512cf3fe80d48870cc867607ca86aa.jpeg

Two of the three deer in our freezer, from last year, and soon to be one from yesterday, were taken from this super comfortable perch, 9 feet up.  The other was taken near the top of a very remote Adirondack ridge, while I was seated in an extremely  comfortable tree hammock chair.  

The older I get, the more comfortable I like to be while hunting, and there is no substitute for a comfortable chair.  I spent $ 8, at a barn sale up in Alex bay last summer, on the fancy, padded, adjustable office chair that I shot three off of (from the blind in the picture up above).  

You have any deer pics to share?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You have any deer pics to share?

Some of us are afraid to post pictures of our deer, and others (like me) are afraid of deer drives. 

You can find a few photos, of the only deer that I killed so far this year, on the 2022 “live” thread in the deer hunting section.  

I’d throw up a few more photos of it, and a few from last year here, but I don’t want to offend some of our thinner-skinned brethren. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Some of us are afraid to post pictures of our deer, and others (like me) are afraid of deer drives. 

You can find a few photos, of the only deer that I killed so far this year, on the 2022 “live” thread in the deer hunting section.  

I’d throw up a few more photos of it, and a few from last year here, but I don’t want to offend some of our thinner-skinned brethren. 

You got a deer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Please save your avatar space for a striped bass pic with me this spring.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...