The second Rut

Gobbler Chaser

I'm still waitin on the first...lol. Have only seen 3 deer this year (shot 1). All does. Very unlike my area. Last year opening day gun saw approx 14 deer. bewildered. And am up with puppies at 5 am every morning so have been hunting more than I usually get to. bewildered and stumped. have yet to see a buck while hunting. disappointing season for bucks for me in my area for some reason.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Anyone have any positive 2nd rut experiences? Supposed to kick off a month after the peak of the Nov rut. 

Yup. Happens every year. Roughly 28 days after their first time thru for any adults not bred the first time and some bigger fawns will come in.  Just watch cameras and watch some of your scrapes come alive again. 

• Like 1

Yep! Focus on your bigger doe fawns as some will be coming into heat for the first time as well as the adult does that haven't been successfully bred yet.. That being said, play your wind correctly and focus on a bed to food pattern...   

I think the majority don't see it bc its much less active. But sitting on a late season food source may provide a little 2nd rut action. OR a trail leading from the bedding to that food source.. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

I'm still waitin on the first...lol. Have only seen 3 deer this year (shot 1). All does. Very unlike my area. Last year opening day gun saw approx 14 deer. bewildered. And am up with puppies at 5 am every morning so have been hunting more than I usually get to. bewildered and stumped. have yet to see a buck while hunting. disappointing season for bucks for me in my area for some reason.

Agree, I’ve seen 1 deer, a doe, she’s in the freezer, hunt 4 different areas

Cams on scrape fire up in the first 10 days of December. Hard to pin down which scrapes and when based on my experience. I don't see all scrapes fire up - it doesn't even appear to be the community ones or ones closer to bedding consistently, either. Invariably one or two scrapes get hit a few times after periods of little or no action.

In terms of any second rut action I've only ever seen it with doe fawns getting pestered. It's a hard thing to capitalize on but something to be aware of. I would hunt based off of pressure/conditions/bed to food and back. I've set up on scrapes (off a bit, etc.) and haven't picked the right one over the years that ends up getting hit,

Edited by phade

I hunt late season food sources. I know the does will be there to feed. Boys will be there chasing girls like a teenager. Shot a nice 11 pt last year,  had a big 8 with him in muzzleloader.  Had not seen either one on cams. I have a few acres of standing corn food plot yearly. 

• Like 1