They obviously feel the snowmobile clubs and the money they provide is more than hunters would.  However, nothing except fear prevents the snowmobile clubs from enjoying the trails during the holidays.

Their restriction on their use is voluntary and will not be affected by hunters during that time period.

If I were of the selfish variety, I would wish I could get the government to stop everything that I find distressing.

Lots of people bitch about how we need be giving local governments more control vs state and federal government..until that is they don’t like their decisions.

Personally I feel that both the decision by the county is an error and furthermore allowing local jurisdictions to make wildlife management decisions is an error as well. The DEC should establish the seasons period, even though I feel they do a piss poor job in NY it’s still the responsibility of the department and not local politicians

disagree. The season is already too long. The added time this year isn't going to make a dent. Hardly anyone went out in September and it will be a small amount of people over Christmas. The deer numbers aren't a problem because of a short season, NY already has one of the longest gun seasons in the country, but the problem is in fact access. 

If they really wanted to make a dent they'd open up county/town urban bowhunter programs. They had this down south and it was tremendously successful for the hunters and the land owners. There was little to no incidents. But this is NY and the cat lady won't let it happen and the pu$$y a55 law makers will bow to them.

So instead the same farm land that is pounded from 10/1-12/20 will just get pounded a little longer. Anybody who has hunted it for nearly 3 months isn't going to just start shooting more deer because the season is longer. You cannot change my mind on this.

• Like 4

Agree the NY season dates and lengths are some of the absolute worst in the county.

This is piss poor idea to begin with however it still should be left up to the DEC in all their stupidity.

NY should go to state wide Regular season that starts the first Saturday after thanksgiving and goes for 10-12 days. They should then have state wide muzzleloader season that is 5 days starting the first Saturday in Jan.

One buck per license hunter per year.

Archery season without cross bows Oct 1 to Jan 31st.

Liberal antlerless tags that are person and DMZ specific.

Sound like Ohio minus the crossbows ? Yep…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

Agree the NY season dates and lengths are some of the absolute worst in the county.

This is piss poor idea to begin with however it still should be left up to the DEC in all their stupidity.

NY should go to state wide Regular season that starts the first Saturday after thanksgiving and goes for 10-12 days. They should then have state wide muzzleloader season that is 5 days starting the first Saturday in Jan.

Why not go full Ohio and allow the crossbows for the whole season. A 7 day gun week and a 2 day bonus weekend.  

• Like 1

The issue here is they want to increase deer take in NY. What you proposed is to help grow big bucks.

DEC has no real interest in that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Why not go full Ohio and allow the crossbows for the whole season. A 7 day gun week and a 2 day bonus weekend.  

Because the increased efficacy of the crossbows coupled with liberal season lengths are already being discussed in many states that allowed them land they are concluding that it isn’t sustainable long term.
Take a look at Ohio slashing antlerless tags in high participation areas, Kansas lowering quotas Ect …there are many examples

The issue here is they want to increase deer take in NY. What you proposed is to help grow big bucks.

DEC has no real interest in that

When you compare days available for hunting compared to deer harvested, and factor in the amount of olicense hunters. Well then we again are near the bottom of the barrel.
Our season structure is ass backward both in increasing quality and reducing the population.

For example going to one buck would definitely add more value and use to our DMP program. If they wanted to decrease the overall population that’s should be the direction instead.

Just now, Trial153 said:

Because the increased efficacy of the crossbows coupled with liberal season lengths are already being discussed in many states that allowed them land they are concluding that it isn’t sustainable long term.
Take a look at Ohio slashing antlerless tags in high participation areas, Kansas lowering quotas Ect …there are many examples

You can take 6 deer in Ohio only one being a buck. Some counties only allow 2 but most allow 3 deer taken per. And people are still traveling here to hunt game land and leased land. No need to save the deer for the elite bow hunters just lower the number allowed from 6 to 3 or 4.

You can take 6 deer in Ohio only one being a buck. Some counties only allow 2 but most allow 3 deer taken per. And people are still traveling here to hunt game land and leased land. No need to save the deer for the elite bow hunters just lower the number allowed from 6 to 3 or 4.

It’s been consistently lowered, and will be lowered even more into the future as long as the efficacy of bow season continues.

you dont like how  NY hunting is then go hunt Ohio, you can easily find unpressured public land in NY,,, and i for one like the seasons as they are long enough that you can pick and choose prime days to hunt,, and not feel like you gotta be out every day its open to get a deer

• Like 1

I am fortunate that have and continue to hunt many places, Ohio included. Experiencing other places is a great thing, it opens you mind and gives you something to compare to. After many such experiences it’s easy to conclude that NY seasons and management is piss poor.

• Like 1

Why are so many against longer hunting seasons? Maybe I am crazy but the longer the season means the longer I can do something that I enjoy. 
Do I need to golf from April - September.... No.... But do I want to.... Yes

It’s a crazy concept I know however one just might have to consider the overall health of a deer herd.
Managing dear Is about managing people to. And having a close to a 30 day rifle season in a state that has some of the highest hunter densities in the country is not good management.
  • Like 2

Why are so many against longer hunting seasons? Maybe I am crazy but the longer the season means the longer I can do something that I enjoy. 
I guess I don't look at it as what benefits me or anyone else. I want what's best for the deer herd. Same way I look at fish bag limits, would I benefit from keeping 6 walleyes a day? Sure. Do I need to? No. Would a lot of people keep 6 fish every day even though they didn't need them? Yes. People are inherently greedy, especially when it comes to natural resources. Could I fill the rest of my deer tags this year? Probably most of them, but I'm not. Why? Because greed and conservation are two things that don't mix. Often times we think liberal limits are great, until 5 years down the road and realize that a mistake was made. That's my take on it.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I guess I don't look at it as what benefits me or anyone else. I want what's best for the deer herd. Same way I look at fish bag limits, would I benefit from keeping 6 walleyes a day? Sure. Do I need to? No. Would a lot of people keep 6 fish every day even though they didn't need them? Yes. People are inherently greedy, especially when it comes to natural resources. Could I fill the rest of my deer tags this year? Probably most of them, but I'm not. Why? Because greed and conservation are two things that don't mix. Often times we think liberal limits are great, until 5 years down the road and realize that a mistake was made. That's my take on it.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

I get what your saying and yes I’m sure plenty of people would go from taking only 1 deer to taking 3 or 4 or more with more time.

Personally I’d take the same I always do 1-2 deer. It’s all I need for the year. I’d just like more time to be in the woods hunting.

Maybe I wouldn’t feel so anxious to be out there in bad weather if I knew I had more time.

you dont like how  NY hunting is then go hunt Ohio, you can easily find unpressured public land in NY,,, and i for one like the seasons as they are long enough that you can pick and choose prime days to hunt,, and not feel like you gotta be out every day its open to get a deer

What a simple minded response. This is a forum to discuss, not one where we just accept all the laws NY throws at us.

If we throw out the very real concern of shooting a buck who has shed his antlers or the potential for early season buck poaching then I think it’s about hunter enjoyment and success.

NY has programs like let them grow and state they are about hunter satisfaction but those directly conflict with opportunities in the woods when take goes up. Look at some of the guys here not even seeing doe.

One could intelligently argue that a shortened season would lead to more guys in the woods at once, which we all know moves deer. Sort of like a fury rut vs a trickle rut that is NY’s gun season.

10 days of deer pushing intense action with piles still harvested and then less overall stress on those that survive. Guys can spend time with families, snowmobile, duck and small game hunt.

• Like 2