5 hours ago, Trial153 said:

Agree the NY season dates and lengths are some of the absolute worst in the county.

This is piss poor idea to begin with however it still should be left up to the DEC in all their stupidity.

NY should go to state wide Regular season that starts the first Saturday after thanksgiving and goes for 10-12 days. They should then have state wide muzzleloader season that is 5 days starting the first Saturday in Jan.

One buck per license hunter per year.

Archery season without cross bows Oct 1 to Jan 31st.

Liberal antlerless tags that are person and DMZ specific.

Sound like Ohio minus the crossbows ? Yep…

So bow hunters get 4 months and firearms hunters get a total of 17 days? Yeah, that sounds fair for everyone.:rolleyes:

How about the gun guys get from 10/15 until 12/24 with a muzzle loader only season from 12/25 until 1/31, and the bow hunters get from August 1st through the gun opener and with full crossbow inclusion for the whole bow season?

So bow hunters get 4 months and firearms hunters get a total of 17 days? Yeah, that sounds fair for everyone.:rolleyes:
How about the gun guys get from 10/15 until 12/24 with a muzzle loader only season from 12/25 until 1/31, and the bow hunters get from August 1st through the gun opener and with full crossbow inclusion for the whole bow season?

Are you really that ignorant?
  • Like 1

I think the season is fine the way it is . I dont advocate for growing larger buckshot trying tonthe ge how people hunt . A trophy deer should be just that ,a trophy and not guaranteed with every license purchase.

To clarify, my post was about helping the herd. That doesn’t necessarily mean trophy management, but just having deer to shoot at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Trial153 said:

When you compare days available for hunting compared to deer harvested, and factor in the amount of olicense hunters. Well then we again are near the bottom of the barrel.
Our season structure is ass backward both in increasing quality and reducing the population.

For example going to one buck would definitely add more value and use to our DMP program. If they wanted to decrease the overall population that’s should be the direction instead.

One buck is not an issue  80 % of hunters don't even get a deer , bowhunter fought hard for that buck tag  . Want more buck to make it thru , cut the rut out of deer season..   it will always be 90% of game taken by 10% of hunters. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

To clarify, my post was about helping the herd. That doesn’t necessarily mean trophy management, but just having deer to shoot at.

Honestly i believe if NY was concerned was heard health the first thing to do would be to split it up in to more zones. As we see in the live from the woods thread with people hunting all around the state we are hunting very different herds some seeing 5 or more deer a sit and some seeing 0 per season.

• Like 1

One buck is not an issue  80 % of hunters don't even get a deer , bowhunter fought hard for that buck tag  . Want more buck to make it thru , cut the rut out of deer season..   it will always be 90% of game taken by 10% of hunters. 

I must know all the elite Hunters because it’s pretty common for people I know to fill to both Buck tag. In fact if you’re not picky and you don’t care what dinks you shoot if you can’t fill to Buck tags in New York State you should quit hunting and take up golf.

I do agree that the rut should not be during the regular season they should start a week later and cut the season in about half
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

I must know all the elite Hunters because it’s pretty common for people I know to fill to both Buck tag. In fact if you’re not picky and you don’t care what dinks you shoot if you can’t fill to Buck tags in New York State you should quit hunting and take up golf.

I do agree that the rut should not be during the regular season they should start a week later and cut the season in about half

600 k hunters and 150k deer taken,  you prove the point 10% take 90 %  of game..    have more deer around doenst.make one a better hunter.  And you can't stock pile big bucks , I know my neighbors benefit from my efforts every year. 

2 hours ago, Trial153 said:

so should bow hunting season be cut in half? I mean the guys that are taking two bucks i would say are mostly bowhunters, few muzzel too ,,maybe you should try to educate the elite hunters you know about all the harm of taking two bucks...again im fine with 95% of the seasons in NY, and the oppertuneties offered, and if a guy is happy with a "Dink" buck and its taken legal good for him....

Edited by land 1

so should bow hunting season be cut in half? I mean the guys that are taking two bucks i would say are mostly bowhunters, few muzzel too i guess,,,maybe you should try to educate the elite hunters you know about all the harm of taking two bucks...

if you actually read and just tried to comprehend what what I have written, you would see that I have stated ad nauseam that NY should only allow buck per licensed hunter regardless of the weapon or season. So what argument next are you planning on miss stating?

i some what agree with 1 buck, I did get lucky and get two decent bucks this yr not the norm but it also seems you have a slight rub against gun hunting and its season, all im saying is that 90% of the guys that take two are in fact archery hunters as well, as am I, so if your going after a shorter gun season why not bow also??? not that I or many others would want that..one of your 1st statemnts on this post was shorter gun season no crossbow in bow and 1 buck ... one buck is far from your only statement,,,....but cant have your cake and eat it too

i some what agree with 1 buck, I did get lucky and get two decent bucks this yr not the norm but it also seems you have a slight rub against gun hunting and its season, all im saying is that 90% of the guys that take two are in fact archery hunters as well, as am I, so if your going after a shorter gun season why not bow also??? not that I or many others would want that..one of your 1st statemnts on this post was shorter gun season no crossbow in bow and 1 buck ... one buck is far from your only statement,,,....but cant have your cake and eat it too

What you seem to not understand is that in wildlife management, Efficacy (success ) is inverse to opportunity. That is the sole the difference between season lengths and the implements used.
It’s really not that hard a concept, in fact it’s pretty well an established by every state and province that followed the North American model of conservation.

NYs season structure is antiquated and mires us into having mediocre hunting at best. However more to the point it’s detrimental to the deer herd.
  • Like 2

well all i can say is that the area i hunt 7m seems to be doing good, public and private ....ok so u obviously u are more of a bowhunter no problem i get it so why no xbow hunting  its basically the same type of hunting method no drives no banging away with guns no orange army and same limiting factor in distance to shoot, in fact many other states fold xbow in to the entire bow season...and i do understand some of your points one buck per hunter and shorter gun season = more bucks to mature  more bucks may seen next yr so on and so on but again same can be said if bow was shorter or they closed all seasons during the prime rut ,,, i enjoy all the seasons for different  reasons,,,in no way is the NY deer heard in any danger of being depleted ,,, and you may have to work harder hunt harder to see a mature buck in NY but hay thats the game

Edited by land 1

21 hours ago, DirtTime said:

why do you hate bowhunters so much ? 

• Like 1

well all i can say is that the area i hunt 7m seems to be doing good, public and private ....ok so u obviously u are more of a bowhunter no problem i get it so why no xbow hunting  its basically the same type of hunting method no drives no banging away with guns no orange army and same limiting factor in distance to shoot, in fact many other states fold xbow in to the entire bow season...and i do understand some of your points one buck per hunter and shorter gun season = more bucks to mature  more bucks may seen next yr so on and so on but again same can be said if bow was shorter or they closed all seasons during the prime rut ,,, i enjoy all the seasons for different  reasons,,,in no way is the NY deer heard in any danger of being depleted ,,, and you may have to work harder hunt harder to see a mature buck in NY but hay thats the game

How does NY deer hunting experiences compare to other places you have hunted?

havent hunted outside of NY but have several good freinds that do ,, and they even own land in ohio i hear what they say seeing 10 to 15   bucks a day passing deer in the 130's  picking and choosing etc lots of crops field beans corn etc . I have turned down chance to go ... Thats not me I have 90 acres i  hunt  and public and NY is not those states  One buddy that hunts three states a yr ohio kansas and missouri for numerous yrs says hunting out there is great, but also he looses the thrill of seeing a nice 110in 8pt in NY and it spoils him somewhat,,,but he also says u can not compare central/ northern or southern ny to those areas maybe western NY ... One guy did say OHIO gun season is a shit show drivers and trespassers from opening to close,... also x bow is allowed in those states in archery season and baiting in some of them.. so should NY be allowed to bait also?

Edited by land 1

havent hunted outside of NY but have several good freinds that do ,, and they even own land in ohio i hear what they say seeing 10 to 15   bucks a day passing deer in the 130's  picking and choosing etc lots of crops field beans corn etc . I have turned down chance to go ... Thats not me I have 90 acres i  hunt  and public and NY is not those states  One buddy that hunts three states a yr ohio kansas and missouri for numerous yrs says hunting out there is great, but also he looses the thrill of seeing a nice 110in 8pt in NY and it spoils him somewhat,,,but he also says u can not compare central/ northern or southern ny to those areas maybe western NY ... One guy did say OHIO gun season is a shit show drivers and trespassers from opening to close,... also x bow is allowed in those states in archery season and baiting in some of them.. so should NY be allowed to bait also?

Thanks for the honest answer. At one time I was very much enthralled in NY hunting, luckily very early on I had the opportunity to go bowhunt other places. Those experiences have shown me that there are better ways to manage whitetails then what takes place in NY, and offer a hunter a chance and a better experience.

to each there own, I perfer to go to my 90 /camp and get the rewards of food plots i put in and land improvements...there may be better ways to manage the deer but I also believe NY is more diverse then some of those states meaning the land scape from adks to long island to western ny... sure some different mgt areas within NY could be managed differently and have better results,,,but i also know habitat in my area could not support numbers where u see 10- 15 bucks a day other then a hay field i have no ag with 6 miles in any direction

Im coming around on AR the more I watch Pennsylvania hunts on youtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m sure it’s even better now. When I hunted 2011 and 2013 stateland in PA i saw lots of small bucks. I couldn’t shoot them but it’s still awesome seeing lots of deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Around me at least 80% of hunters shoot 3 rounds at something