Age this buck....

All year long we get some great pictures of bucks and we try to age them.  However, we rarely/never find out a confirmed deer’s age.  I have a buck running around my place all year and as you can see, while not the biggest, it’s a tall rack with palmation’s….unique is the word.

Please look at the pictures and let’s see some age estimates.  Pictures have been cropped but size not changed.  While not the best position for aging, give it a try.   I’ll reveal the answer on Tuesday  Dec 7 as determined my tooth wear.

old buck 21.jpg

old buck b 2021.jpg

• Like 1

so many variables. What unit? Does he have any injuries that wacked out the rack? You should send the teeth to deerage.com to confirm your visual inspection it's roughly 90% accurate vs 60% accurate.

7.5 is my guess, but feel confident he's between 2.5 and 13.5

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

I'll throw out between 4.5-6.5 based off of the 2 pics. First pic isn't great for aging but the second leads me to believe it's a mature deer. Large neck, large front end. Head looks pretty big. Bit of a sag in belly.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

What Chris said

turkeyfeathers

he looks chewy and gamey tasting

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

he looks chewy and gamey tasting

We shall see but he walks out of a dense brush creek bed and walks into standing  5 acres of corn or 4 acres beans (which I leave for them)  He sleeps it off in a swath of switchgrass and then can walk into  beaver swamps on 3 sides of the fields.  He has to travel no more than 300 yards in any direction for food/cover/safety.....so I am not worried about tough or chewy or gamey.

• Like 1

You folks pretty much guessed it right.  I had a biologist look at the tooth wear and said,"He could be a few years older than 6½, but there’s no way to dial in on a year beyond 6½ looking at tooth wear."

SO:

1.I will get it the tooth aged which will take a while cause I am busy

2. His diet was too farmland too worry about taste. He didn't have to run far for food or shelter as he had 3 swamps refuges within 100 yards of his food source.. I shot him going from 1 swamp to another crossing the soybean field between the two refuges. Having eaten parts already, it is not gamey or tough (I know how to prepare medallions of venison (without the pressure cooker) so it cuts without  the need of a knife)

3. Second best shot of my life. Though I practiced at that range, Shooting a buck at a legitimate  389 yards ( As the Leopold laser finder said) is not the same as a paper target. Used a 6.5 x284  hand-loaded 140 grain Sierra SBT, IMR 4831 on a Krieger barrel fitted to a Browning left handed A-bolt action. Yeah Practice!!!

4. I shot one of his grandsons in the same field 2 years ago with the same serrated palmation rack configuration..but he was only 2 1/2 

Have a Great Christmas and a Happy New Year and always a SAFE HUNT

grandpa moose 11-21.jpeg

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, Berniez said:

You folks pretty much guessed it right.  I had a biologist look at the tooth wear and said,"He could be a few years older than 6½, but there’s no way to dial in on a year beyond 6½ looking at tooth wear."

SO:

2. His diet was too farmland too worry about taste. He didn't have to run far for food or shelter as he had 3 swamps refuges within 100 yards of his food source.. I shot him going from 1 swamp to another crossing the soybean field between the two refuges. Having eaten parts already, it is not gamey or tough (I know how to prepare medallions of venison (without the pressure cooker) so it cuts without  the need of a knife)

3. Second best shot of my life. Though I practiced at that range, Shooting a buck at a legitimate  389 yards ( As the Leopold laser finder said) is not the same as a paper target. Used a 6.5 x284  hand-loaded 140 grain Sierra SBT, IMR 4831 on a Krieger barrel fitted to a Browning left handed A-bolt action. Yeah Practice!!!

4. I shot one of his grandsons in the same field 2 years ago with the same serrated palmation rack configuration..but he was only 2 1/2 

grandpa moose 11-21.jpeg

Bingo!

6 hours ago, Berniez said:

SO:

grandpa moose 11-21.jpeg

Congrats !!

Mind sharing the secret way how to prepare medallions of venison (without the pressure cooker) so it cuts without  the need of a knife?

• 7 months later...

Last year I asked you folks to age this deer.  I got guesstimates from 3.5 - 7.5

I sent the tooth for aging and the results are finally in.

8.5 years old

BTW the deer was taken in Otsego county in a soybean field with seed purchase via the NDA (QDMA) Program

So  much for all he neighbors saying "no deer can live more than 4 or 5 years in this area.

Now if the deer would just stay out of the beans letting them grow and the beaver stop flooding the cornfield...it could be another good year.

Stay safe and the licenses are already out this year their a washed out orange

old buck b 2021.jpgold buck 21.jpg

• Like 10