Slug gun Rem vs Savage

NYRturkeycall

Anyone thoughts on the Remington 870 vs Savage 220 slug gun?
Leaning towards the Savage even if it's a 20g.
Need more distance from a shotgun instead of my 50-60 yards from slugs out of my stoeger. Thanks!
There is no comparison....220 hands down will out preform the 870 all day. With a solid rest I wouldn't second guess I pushing it past 150.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

My 220 is most accurate with the Hornady sst. Killed a few with it and perfornance was fine.

Also have a 20ga 870 with cantalever scope mount. Hands down its not even close, the 220 shoots like a rifle, 870 is a tomato stake. 250gr at 1800fps is easy to shoot too.

I will go against the grain here.  I have an 11-87 12 g with cantilever barrel and I have also owned the 220 20 g.  Both are great you won't go wrong.  But the 12 rem is just as accurate at 150 as the 220 was.  And the 12 still has some ass when it gets there.  But the 220 is lighter.  Also have to really eject those shells hard with the bolt my rem is a semi.  I kept the rem cause my uncle retired and worked there for 30+ years .  But I like the speed the 12 has at 150-200 vs the 20.  I've killed deer with both.  Ammo is hard to find for either.  In the rem I shoot Hornady 300 grain, in the 220 I shoot federals 265 grain. It liked those better than the accus or the Hornady.  220 in 20g is less kick and lighter but it does have less speed and power. It's something like an unimpressive 900 fps at like 200 yards. I remember looking at all that when I bought one. But you won't go wrong with either.  

I think more people have the 220 as it became very popular. And doubt if many people ever had a 12 g that shoots these new sabots to compare. But at the range I will stack big holes with my 12 no prob. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

If you are looking for maximum long range performance in a shotgun zone, then I would recommend the 12 gauge bolt gun, unless you are recoil sensitive.  In that case, opt for the 20 gauge.  The accuracy improvement you gain by eliminating the recoil anticipation flinch will trump the energy gain of the 12.  Put a good 2-7 power scope on that gun.

If money is no object, then my real answer to your question is “both”.  I would also recommend that you get an 870 smoothbore with a short iron sight barrel, in 12 ga (20 if you are recoil sensitive).  Feeding that is much cheaper, and it is better in sleet, rain, wet snow,  and when hunting in  and around heavy cover, where long shots are not expected. 

• Haha 1

After buying land in a shotgun restricted area of NY, I went through a gamut of slug guns.

Started with the 12ga Deerslayer, 870, 1187LH , 20Ga Ultra slug hunter, 12 Ga Tar hunt, 212 and ended with the 220 LH.

Sold everything but the Ultra after the restrictions were lifted and not because it was the cheapest of the bunch, it was the most accurate.

I have an 870 that is set up just to shoot slugs. I have screwed the barrel to the receiver. The scope is mounted to the receiver also. It shoots slugs great as long as they have a muzzle velocity is 1600fps or less. 3in BRI at 1450 shoot the best on a good day I can get them to touch at 100yds but there hard to find Remington copper solids also shoot great. So I’ll stick with my 870. Its good enough.

I’ve owned Both and would pick the 870. With 10$ and 5 minutes I can have the trigger as good as the savage. 50$ to a gun smith to pin the barrel and it’s a 150yd gun all day. Mine will hold 1.5moa with a variety of sabots but it absolutely loved Remington accutips. I’ve owned a lot of slug guns including the infamous browning a bolt and the only one I kept is my 20ga 870.

I hope it rots away in the safe and never gets used again but if I ever have to with a slug gun again it will be what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

220 and the 20 H&R Ultra Slug are the two best production ones made IMO. So happy I have two of the Ultras since they are no longer made.

It is quite impressive the groups I've seen from both of those models over the years. I like the H&R though personally.

The Rem Accutips seem to be in large the most popular option for both of them. Also popular are the SSTs and expander options (Federal/Barnes). 

Hunting in a shotty area myself so options are limited but at least these can bring some confidence IMO to being able to reach out and touch a deer. I doubt NY ever goes the way of allowing straightwall in the shotty counties. Ohio did and I have to say more than 50% seem to have converted the past few years to straightwalls. At least based on what I see and heard last week. The 350 L seems to be by far the most popular....rows of them on shelves in stores there.

The only thing I don't like about my Savage 220 is that the safety has to be off in order to cycle the bolt . Most of my guns are either single shot or pump action . This is the 1st bolt action gun I have owned in almost 60 years . Other than that , the 220 is a shooter !

• Like 2