Gun cocked or uncocked for storage

phantom

I leave my gun the way they are in storage, i dont dry fire them to relax the firepin sping never had a problem I literally have guns that I haven't shot for 15 20 years and they go boom all the same when I pull the trigger .Did i get lucky or depends on the firearm .

Edited by phantom
  • Like 1

All of my percussion and flintlocks I lower the hammer to release the spring tension, and also on my bolts...which I can close the bolt with the trigger held back, so the firing pin is not cocked ( Mauser/Mauser clones). My hammer fired guns...winchesters, falling block, Marlins..the same.

My centerfire revolvers I would never store cocked...even if unloaded, but in my mind a handgun is useless if it isnt loaded, so regardless the hammer is lowered.

Of course, rimfires you do not want to dry fire, and probably modern centerfires in general it isnt necessary but you can harmlessly dry fire them to do the same. 

I picked up two snap caps for the stoeger o/u 12ga. I have. I read not to leave the springs cocked on that gun. My other shotguns go in the safe cocked. There’s no reason to leave the hammer back on a lever gun. My bolts go in uncocked. None go in loaded the all for hunting. My home defense guns are loaded,cocked and ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk