I broke down...

phade

JUST bought a xbow on what I hope is a good deal.

Dick's Sporting Goods online has the Horton Summt HD 150 for $219 with red dot, quiver, bolts. Free shipping on orders over $99 and a $15 code found on the internet brought the total to $221 (sales tax...d'oh). It is exponntially cheaper than anywhere else...they must be trying to clear it out.

I've had my eye on that model for a few seasons...entry level, not overly aggressive.

I'm not buying it with the intent of replacing my bow...but rather to introduce my FIL to it. He is secretly interested in them but is so timid (read chicken sh!t) to buy one because he knows nobody else with one to show him the ropes. He's gonna be happy since with it as hid bday gift.

I may use it during gun or late season here in NY just to see how it is and how huntable it is.

• 1 month later...

Got that thing dialed in last weekend.

I'm not the hugest proponent on opening xbow into early archery but if it gets my FIL into the sport then I can deal with it. I cant believe how accurate those things are...Got the red dot sighted in within 5 shots and by shot 20, we were shooting 55 yards away up on his second floor deck and darn near touching fletchings.

He wants to come to Ohio with me now for a rut bow trip...

I personally was never interested in crossbows, however, I am all for using them as a tool to get someone new interested in the sport. I could definately see myself buying one to introduce the sport to my children.

Good Luck

Got that thing dialed in last weekend.

I'm not the hugest proponent on opening xbow into early archery but if it gets my FIL into the sport then I can deal with it. I cant believe how accurate those things are...Got the red dot sighted in within 5 shots and by shot 20, we were shooting 55 yards away up on his second floor deck and darn near touching fletchings.

He wants to come to Ohio with me now for a rut bow trip...

Wow. Easier than sighting in my 12 ga. More accurate too.

I certainly won't be hanging up my Elites but they are a good tool.

If I could ever really see myself using one, it'd be on the ground in a blind situation. I don't particularly enjoy bowhunting from a blind for some reason, but the crossbow seems more comfortable without the need to draw in the blind.

I think you got a real good deal. The last two bows I bought I got around this time of year. One at Dicks and one at Gander. I got Good deals on both of them. This is the time to buy one but the selection might not be all that great. If I had to guess I'd say that the stores want to get rid of last years stock to make room for this years stuff come Sept.

Good luck with it.

I am gonna look into it, for two bills I can get into crossbow. I think they are legal for bow season in Pa and NJ. Not sure.

Most states are way ahead of us in NY as far as letting a hunter use the weapon he chooses. But NY is the state of bans and regulations, like magazine bans, hard to get a handgun permit laws, and let the criminals be armed and take away guns from law abiding citizens...