A true generation of hero’s is leaving us

Chef

It truly was the greatest generation. To fight a true world war and defend our nation and way of life in a war that was fought with such terrible attrocities.  My Dad was a ww2 veteran and just the stories about the country itself being so unified and focused were amazing. Everything at that time was focused on the war effort.  He didn't get in due to age til near the end of the war, so he was here at home helping his family get by as his older brother was overseas already until he was old enough to enlist.  

He joined the army as he didn't want to be on a ship for months and went to basic.  After that he was sent to Hawaii for a few days, then on a ship out to the Pacific.  They were then stopped and turned back as there was a Japanese fleet in the way. They then went in the Panama canal and sat there for a few days. They were told to wait there until further word. No idea what was going on. Then they got word the atomic bomb was dropped and everyone was waiting to see what was to happen. (As he didn't want to be on a ship for months and that's just where he was even in the army) 

Then they got word that Japan surrendered and they were sent to Okononowa.  Well it's not like there was TV and internet to spread the word.  So they didn't know the war was 'over'.  He said it was the worst thing he has ever seen. Flushing people out of caves with flame throwers.  He only ever mentioned it once I can ever remember.  He did catch a piece of shrapnel in his hand but never injured badly.  

Then he was sent to Korea and served out his time there. Eventually becoming the head cook there which lead him to be a chef later in the states. 

But was always so impressed with the people of that time and all they gave to keep the world from being overtaken by the axis powers and all that was given by every man and woman overseas and at home.  

• Like 4

It truly was the greatest generation. To fight a true world war and defend our nation and way of life in a war that was fought with such terrible attrocities.  My Dad was a ww2 veteran and just the stories about the country itself being so unified and focused were amazing. Everything at that time was focused on the war effort.  He didn't get in due to age til near the end of the war, so he was here at home helping his family get by as his older brother was overseas already until he was old enough to enlist.  
He joined the army as he didn't want to be on a ship for months and went to basic.  After that he was sent to Hawaii for a few days, then on a ship out to the Pacific.  They were then stopped and turned back as there was a Japanese fleet in the way. They then went in the Panama canal and sat there for a few days. They were told to wait there until further word. No idea what was going on. Then they got word the atomic bomb was dropped and everyone was waiting to see what was to happen. (As he didn't want to be on a ship for months and that's just where he was even in the army) 
Then they got word that Japan surrendered and they were sent to Okononowa.  Well it's not like there was TV and internet to spread the word.  So they didn't know the war was 'over'.  He said it was the worst thing he has ever seen. Flushing people out of caves with flame throwers.  He only ever mentioned it once I can ever remember.  He did catch a piece of shrapnel in his hand but never injured badly.  
Then he was sent to Korea and served out his time there. Eventually becoming the head cook there which lead him to be a chef later in the states. 
But was always so impressed with the people of that time and all they gave to keep the world from being overtaken by the axis powers and all that was given by every man and woman overseas and at home.  

Very interesting about your dad.. I used to love to ask my grandfather about the war… from what I understand I was pretty much the only Person he would talk to about it. I was young maybe 11 when he passed and found out that he talked to me because I was so interested but that it would take him days to recover sometimes after our conversations

He enlisted early in the war and fought from North Africa all the way up through Italy. He survived 3 beach landings. Sicily, Anzio and Salerno. At Salerno he was late to his landing craft and hopped in the second one with the rest of his company. He watch the one he was supposed to be on hit a mine and his entire platoon was killed.

After his death I sent away for his military records. I have all of his medals, discharge papers, a few photographs. I am working on trying to get his coffin flag from my uncle to make a display case for it all but that part is not going over so well.

But we will see. I’d love for the display to include all those things, plus a M1 Garand, a M1 carbine, and a 1911A1 all of which he carried at one point during the war.

Anyway I think it’s him that led me to be fascinated by this portion of American history

dc84895cb2c827974181230e55fc432b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkf58ae0db0e56e86bacd5b6891ea1d047.png
  • Like 7

When very small I well remember all the dads in the neighborhood getting together to throw horse shoes. Most all of them had tattoos, a number of them walked with limps or back injuries, though all were still young men. All were WW2 and Korean War veterans...the service truly was a unifying factor for all of their generation. I have the continuing honor of assisting a surprising number of these veterans, and have been privileged  to hear some amazing stories. Not all of them of course were combat vets, but they all played a part.

• Like 1

When very small I well remember all the dads in the neighborhood getting together to throw horse shoes. Most all of them had tattoos, a number of them walked with limps or back injuries, though all were still young men. All were WW2 and Korean War veterans...the service truly was a unifying factor for all of their generation. I have the continuing honor of assisting a surprising number of these veterans, and have been privileged  to hear some amazing stories. Not all of them of course were combat vets, but they all played a part.

It’s funny you say that…. My wife’s grandfather is a Korean War vet…. Non combat, he ran a PX. He lives in a apparent on the basement floor of my house.

You can bet anytime one of his friends who was in the service comes over I am called and asked to bring down a Garand or carbine so they can say hello to a old friend.

The looks on these men’s faces when they hold these weapons for sometimes the first time in 70 years is un explainable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

One of my very good friends had both his grandfathers in WW2 ,one fought for America and one fought for Germany. They were not fond of each other at first . His German grand father didn't talk to anybody really except me because he knew i was a tool maker and he was as well before he retired. One time at a family get to together i sat by both grandfathers and they shared stories with each other from the war ,unreal experience to hear them talk from both side of the line .  

• Like 2

My both my grandfather's on my dad's side were both well army vets. One artillery the other quart master. My great uncle was a wwII bronze star purple heart recipient. Was shot in the face by a German and left for dead a French nun found him under a bridge and help him until American s arrive. Lost teeth and pallet of mouth. Was a bootlegger after he came home. Never met my dad's real dad he died young 49 massive heart attack. My dad's step dad never talked about it. They are the greatest generation. My dad and grandpa were Korean war vets. My dad munitions in Air Force. My grandpa a tanker. I was a army infantryman in Iraq. Military roots run deep.

• Like 2

My gramps on my moms side lied about his age and  enlisted . He served in Europe  and then in the Philippines.  He didn't talk much about it to us . One time he had a few beers and said alot. The stuff he described  was horrific. He didn't say much about fighting the Germans  but the Japanese  he truly hated for the things they did to our guys . 

My dad's father served in the Navy  during  ww2.. I know absolutely nothing about where or what he did . He absolutely  never discussed a thing about the war that I recall. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chef said:

That’s really cool. Sorry for your loss

He jumped in on D Day and was there till the end. Was only wounded once during the battle of the Bulge, shot in the forearm  i think. He also jumped in operation Market Garden.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Chef said:

It’s funny you say that…. My wife’s grandfather is a Korean War vet…. Non combat, he ran a PX. He lives in a apparent on the basement floor of my house.

You can bet anytime one of his friends who was in the service comes over I am called and asked to bring down a Garand or carbine so they can say hello to a old friend.

The looks on these men’s faces when they hold these weapons for sometimes the first time in 70 years is un explainable

But at the same time...I have some who never want to touch or look at a firearm again...Just the thought of them can take them to a very dark place they want to forget ever happened....

But at the same time...I have some who never want to touch or look at a firearm again...Just the thought of them can take them to a very dark place they want to forget ever happened....

This is true. I guess it all depends on the person

My Mom and Dad both served in WWII..Dad was on a Navy destroyer from 1943-1945 and saw a lot of action in the Pacific..At one  time he never set foot on dry land for 6 months....Took on fuel, supplies and ammo at sea..

Mom enlisted in the army and served as an Army nurse in a military hospital in West Virginia...

She outranked him when they were released from active duty..She was E-5 and he was E-4.....

• Like 2

Thought you history buffs & WNYers would find this interesting. So my Mom's side of the family grew up in Depew and later North Tonawanda. They owned the Depew Feed Store (corner of Penora & Broadway) and lived next door. My great uncle (grandpa's brother), Walter Niespodziewany, dropped out of high school to drive the truck and work in the store. He later went to WW2 and flew in a B-24 (below is a copy & paste). He was shot down in May of 1944. He survived the parachute landing, but was captured. He was a prisoner of war for 12-13 months, but finally came home. 75 years after he should have graduated High School, Depew HS kindly let him honorary graduate from high school. I spent a lot of summers with him in Depew and attended many Bills game with him. He had Bills season tix for many years, and he went to all 4 super bowls actually. 

My grandpa (Walter's brother) was many years younger, so he went to the Korean War as a translator (he could speak fluent polish back then). 

On my Dad's side, my grandpa was in the Navy in WW2. He came home with a lot of japanese stuff. he started boxing in the Navy and turned pro for a little bit. Jack Dempsey gave him a bunch of cool personalized stuff over the year.

"The 446th Bomb Group, who came to be known as "the Bungay Buckaroos" after the name of their Suffolk base, flew B-24 Liberators on strategic, support and interdictory missions over Europe. The Group led the Eighth Air Force and 2nd Bomb Division on the first heavy bomber mission on D-Day, 6 June 1944, and continued to support the ground forces move eastwards, dropping airborne troops into Wesel, north-west Germany, as part of the advance across the River Rhine."

• Like 3

Both of my parents were in WW2. My father was in Artillery, first being put in a Massachusetts NG Coast Artillery unit that was changed to  a regular field Artillery. Came across day after D-day, and went all the way. Was a driver for a 2nd Lt. forward observer. Got the job as he was a great jeep mechanic.   Never talked about it, especially the freeing folks from the  concentration camps. Learned as much as I know from his war souvineers and his christmas phone conversations with the forward observer (I would listen in)

Mother was a Mess Sergeant in the WAAC. Was in India, supporting airmen that were "flying the hump" in Burma. She talked about her time. One of her sisters was in, though I do not know if she ever went overseas.

Our family seems to have been in every war from the French and Indian war. Citizen soldiers, join up then return to civilian life post war. And Pygmy, my mother also outranked my father  when they got out. 

• Like 1

Cool to read the stories of the lineages from forum members. WWII seems to have been our very best generation.

My generation (I am the oldest of multiple grandkids) is the first to not have military service in our family since WWI....until last month. My younger half-brother and the youngest of the grandkids just moved out of basic training for the CG. My dad wouldn't let me enlist or try to go the officer route. Said he spent 23 years in the Navy (the first to retire with 20+ in the family) so I didn't have to go. I broke alot of rules as a kid but that one seemed like a sacred cow. I have mixed feelings on it to this day and suspect it will be one of my biggest regrets in my sunset years. Especially because that little shit was allowed to go. Dad got soft.

For Veteran's day my FB group donated funds and surprised a young serviceman at Ft. Drum with a CVA Optima/Scope/Kit. We recorded his dad having the convo with his son via Facetime. The son was on base and he absolutely lost it, that strangers would do such a thing. The group raised $800 in about three hours to make it happen. 

Edited by phade

My Dad was in the 82nd Airborne, jump master sergeant, he never really talked about his service much, but did open up to me a couple of times about buddies that were lost on jumps. All of my four uncles on my mother's side of the family served in WWII. One fought in the Battle of the Bulge in the army, he never talked about this also. He never told his mother what he did, we found this out many years later after he passed away. The others served in the Navy in the Pacific. never to talk about their experiences either. Uncle Woody is buried in Arlington Cemetery.

On my Dad's side, his brother served in WWII in the pacific and his ship was sunk by a Japanese torpedo, he went on to serve off the Aleutians when the Japanese invaded Alaska. Again, never talked about his time in Navy.

My mother's family in Norway fought in the underground. She told me some were captured and tortured to death. Many died fighting the Germans. 

I was always fascinated by all of my uncle's tattoos when I was a young kid. Ships and anchors on  their arms and chests. My dad had twin parachutes one forearm and Mom on the other.

They are gone now, I am very proud of them all.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 3