Why do we still have a muzzleloader season?

Buckmaster7600

Yesterday I got my muzzleloaders out to make sure they were still on although I knew they would be as they were for Nz early season. I shot 2 shots with each that all touched each other at 100yds and reloaded them, both first shots have been loaded since before Nz early muzzleloader. My woodman arms was in the rain for 2 days straight while hunting out of a tent and it still went bang and landed exactly where they were supposed to. Things have changed a lot since I started playing with them 20yrs ago. Before we could use scopes and the knight inlines were just coming out. It makes me wonder why we still have to use them. I honestly don’t understand why we still have a muzzleloader season. Modern inline muzzleloaders are as accurate as many rifles, as reliable when proper care is taken, have a range beyond what many are comfortable or should be shooting. If it’s the reloading why not make it a single shot season? It’s about the only difference.

I put a ton of time and money into my setups and shot pounds and pounds of powder to get my loads developed but now it’s boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yesterday I got my muzzleloaders out to make sure they were still on although I knew they would be as they were for Nz early season. I shot 2 shots with each that all touched each other at 100yds and reloaded them, both first shots have been loaded since before Nz early muzzleloader. My woodman arms was in the rain for 2 days straight while hunting out of a tent and it still went bang and landed exact where it was supposed to. Things have changed a lot since I started playing with them 20yrs ago. Before we could use scopes and the knight inlines were just coming out. It makes me wonder why we still have to use them. I honestly don’t understand why we still have a muzzleloader season. Modern inline muzzleloaders are as accurate as many rifles, as reliable when proper care is taken, have a range beyond what many are comfortable or should be shooting. If it’s the reloading why not make it a single shot season? It’s about the only difference.

I put a ton of time and money into my setups and shot pounds and pounds of powder to get my loads developed but now it’s boring.

You know I get what ur saying here and in looking at it I sort of agree with you. It’s another season where another implement has to be purchased but it doesn’t provide a ton of disadvantage from rifle season.

What would your thoughts be on a flintlock season as opposed to a single shot season. This way it had the desired effect of being more difficult?

• Like 2

You know I get what ur saying here and in looking at it I sort of agree with you. It’s another season where another implement has to be purchased but it doesn’t provide a ton of disadvantage from rifle season.

What would your thoughts be on a flintlock season as opposed to a single shot season. This way it had the desired effect of being more difficult?

That would be awesome. Or at the very least not allow any magnification in optics.

• Like 2

I can't say I disagree with it. I've sold a few mid and high end CVAs this week that are more money than the modern options I hunt with in regular season. One for $800. For a ML...that is crazy.

All that said, I've reverted to mostly using my Wolf in ML season. Cheaper, still drives good accuracy out to 100 yards (I can't recall being in need for longer distance that time of year), and I don't lose sleep over the cost. My higher end ones have not even been out of the safe this year. 

I've sold alot of MLs this past 2-3 months. I think the extended season is getting more people into it. Usually it is pretty quiet in terms of participation. 

That would be awesome. Or at the very least not allow any magnification in optics.

So why not just iron or peep sights at that point as I possess to a 1x optic.

I have been toying around the idea of a flintlock for a while. Went to a local colonial day with the wife and kid a month or so ago and thought it would be cool to buy a replica of a revolutionary war rifle and hunt with it.

I was shocked how unopposed the wife was to this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phade said:

I can't say I disagree with it. I've sold a few mid and high end CVAs this week that are more money than the modern options I hunt with in regular season. One for $800. For a ML...that is crazy.

All that said, I've reverted to mostly using my Wolf in ML season. Cheaper, still drives good accuracy out to 100 yards (I can't recall being in need for longer distance that time of year), and I don't lose sleep over the cost. My higher end ones have not even been out of the safe this year. 

I've sold alot of MLs this past 2-3 months. I think the extended season is getting more people into it. Usually it is pretty quiet in terms of participation. 

Is that what you consider a max shot with a ml using 50 cal and two 50 grain pellets , 100 yards ?

Yea be nice to just use a single shot rifle in both seasons  great idea!!  i would be all for it . Also helps out people that dont have the money to buy all these different guns and gear  good for the new guys just starting  out 

Edited by phantom

So why not just iron or peep sights at that point as I possess to a 1x optic.

I have been toying around the idea of a flintlock for a while. Went to a local colonial day with the wife and kid a month or so ago and thought it would be cool to buy a replica of a revolutionary war rifle and hunt with it.

I was shocked how unopposed the wife was to this.

Aging eyes don’t work as well with irons or peeps, I’m not for keeping anyone out of the woods so a 1x scope or red dot should be allowed.

Flintys are fun. I have a couple and a custom built one in the works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, luberhill said:

Is that what you consider a max shot with a ml using 50 cal and two 50 grain pellets , 100 yards ?

Not at all. I'm talking about my situation. I don't shoot beyond 100 yards in most late season hunting situations. Field edges usually result in being too late to the party after dark, except for our plot areas. Usually in the timber or edge of cover. Can't shoot that far into it. I can think of only one shot over 100 yards in past 5 or so years with ML.

Aging eyes don’t work as well with irons or peeps, I’m not for keeping anyone out of the woods so a 1x scope or red dot should be allowed.

Flintys are fun. I have a couple and a custom built one in the works.

What would your thoughts be on allowing Buck and ball in a flintlock season ?

It’s a terrible idea. Round balls kill just fine why take energy away from them with inaccurate “extra” projectiles?

I’m not saying I want them just asking. Mainly because many people who actually hunted with a flintlock in those days did

28 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yesterday I got my muzzleloaders out to make sure they were still on although I knew they would be as they were for Nz early season. I shot 2 shots with each that all touched each other at 100yds and reloaded them, both first shots have been loaded since before Nz early muzzleloader. My woodman arms was in the rain for 2 days straight while hunting out of a tent and it still went bang and landed exactly where they were supposed to. Things have changed a lot since I started playing with them 20yrs ago. Before we could use scopes and the knight inlines were just coming out. It makes me wonder why we still have to use them. I honestly don’t understand why we still have a muzzleloader season. Modern inline muzzleloaders are as accurate as many rifles, as reliable when proper care is taken, have a range beyond what many are comfortable or should be shooting. If it’s the reloading why not make it a single shot season? It’s about the only difference.

Get a flintlock. Mine is dependable in all but the most severe downpours and will group under 3 inches offhand at 100yds when I do my part.

Old fashioned sidel lock guns are just as accurate as today's in line. When started with muzzleloader the problem wS wet snow getting into pan  or under cap.  But we don't get snow like we use to,  although the snowmobile clubs think we do..  many years we are luck to have a dusting for season now.  

Like all ny seasons hunters complain till they get it easier ,scopes inclines, or crossbows, or releases and lighted pins shoot with what makes tou hPpy.happy.. at one point I was using a flint lock pistol to kill deer as everything se had gotten simple... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

I use my ML pretty much all gun season.
Nobody says you can’t use a flintlock? Don’t be bored go buy one and sell your inline!!

Yep, when we were “ shotgun “ many of us used ML as they were superior to slug guns . Once we went to rifle I sold my ML. 

• Like 2

No one is forcing anyone to use anything they don't want to use. If you think modern inline's are too easy, use something else that's harder. Don't like the idea of a scope, Don't use one. Don't like the idea of the muzzloader season at all, don't hunt it. 

I'm honestly getting really tired of hearing how this or that is to easy or doesn't make sense and it should be changed to make it better. 

Hunt what you want to hunt when it's legal to do so and leave everyone else that likes it how it is alone. 

I'll step off my soapbox now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I once killed deer at a paced off 155 yds with this rifle, and 2 more that were across a valley at similar yardages.

230 gr .535 patched round ball, 100 gr GOEX fffg

That being said, I consider 100yds as maximum for .50 RB and 75yds for .45 RB They just don't have enough mass for retained energy at longer ranges.

aEBLAnR.jpg

VZdSlBC.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Well a modern 45 -70  rifle has a range of 250 to 300 yards  since most use sabots 45 or 44 cal amd now 100 yards of powder  vs the 70grain in the metallic cartridge  (that's what 45 70 stands for 45 cal bullet 70 grain of powder).... the range is easily 300 yards. I have a friend that shoot 150 grain and his bullet is same velocity as a 30 06.. so his range is closer to 500 yards...  

I use my ML pretty much all gun season.
Nobody says you can’t use a flintlock? Don’t be bored go buy one and sell your inline!!

Got a couple and have killed deer with them.

I don’t want my post to come off as a complaint. I’m just making a point that with modern technology I don’t see the point in having a muzzleloader specific season anymore.

I get ya. More licenses and tags for the DEC which is fine. I spend money on worse things. And it actually cuts down on the others out. I love late ML season. And snow and my scoped in-line lol. My eyes suck anymore so scope is a blessing.

Buckmaster i agree with all you said.  The only thing I would do is clean your two muzzleloaders after you shot unless you were using bh209. 

After I acquired my white thunder bolt and had Doc White accurize it I said my next ML would be a woodman arms. But a fast twist 45 is on my list too.. I have spoken to them on a few occasions and they are very pleasant to deal with .

My tc x7 has a peep site,is light weight and a dream to carry . My NEF  heritage which is a camo and stainless version of a sidekick has a scope are both tack drivers .good luck to all with the smoker.

Edited by sbuff

18 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Got a couple and have killed deer with them.

I don’t want my post to come off as a complaint. I’m just making a point that with modern technology I don’t see the point in having a muzzleloader specific season anymore.

It's not specific it's crossbow and bow as well