Where are the hunters?

DanD

I know NYS says they're selling more and more hunting licenses, but I'm just not believing it. Now, it might be me and the public land I hunt in region 8 (G,H.N,T,W,X), but I haven't seen many hunters in the past few years. Opening day this year, there was a fair amount of shooting the first hour, but nothing like it used to be on opening day at first light. I have seen one hunter since opening weekend (which don't get me wrong is nice), but there's something to be said having people around and moving deer around. I can't remember that last time I saw a kid/teenager out in the woods in deer season (Even with the age change this year). 

Is it just the areas where I am, or are you seeing the same?

1 minute ago, DanD said:

I know NYS says they're selling more and more hunting licenses, but I'm just not believing it. Now, it might be me and the public land I hunt in region 8 (G,H.N,T,W,X), but I haven't seen many hunters in the past few years. Opening day this year, there was a fair amount of shooting the first hour, but nothing like it used to be on opening day at first light. I have seen one hunter since opening weekend (which don't get me wrong is nice), but there's something to be said having people around and moving deer around. I can't remember that last time I saw a kid/teenager out in the woods in deer season (Even with the age change this year). 

Leasing is killing it for the average guy/lady/kid.

My place had 8 hunting opening morning , 5 successful by 8 am  no one hunted that afternoon and all were on way home by Sunday 9am.  Had 1 hunter for sat Sunday am Thanksgiving weekend , and 2 hunters for sat this past weekend.  No one for Sunday afternoon..   strange year, no doe tags, and other commitments seem to  have removed the drive to hunt.

If leasing killing it then why haven't I seen an uptick on the public lands?

For many deer hunting is a one-two day event. 

Opening of rifle   Whatever floats your boat

I also suspect many of the new weren't mentored in any way got a gun, a license, spent a little time in the woods and found out it's not like TV hunters.  Too bad but with effort comes knowledge and skill that enables you.  And a mentor sure helps.  Not sure TV shows count but I will admit to seeing some good YouTube

something that I also didn't consider (given my proximity to the PA border) is PA moving the start of their season up to a Saturday start vs the traditional Monday after Thanksgiving start....but i wouldn't think that would swing things that heavily. My old man prefers coming to NY to hunt vs PA, but seeing his grandsons for a week might sway that desire pretty heavily. 

I've seen more hunters up here in the northern zone on state land I hunt. Used to be great hunting now just too much pressure and deer head to private where there baited. All my old stomping grounds that nobody ever hunted had trucks. Everytime I drove by. I hunted with @Swamp_bucks southern zone nobody got deep like us I was a 1/2 mile in he was a mile in. Saturday hunters were out come Sunday it was almost like nobody around.

Those who think there is a lot of hunting pressure these days obviously didn't hunt in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  They'd totally flip out if someone brought them back in time.  Today's pressure can't even be compared to what it was then.  You had cars and station wagons packed with 4 or 5 hunters in them parked all over the place.  These days you will see a huge truck with one hunter in it.  No comparison to what it used to be!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Those who think there is a lot of hunting pressure these days obviously didn't hunt in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  They'd totally flip out if someone brought them back in time.  Today's pressure can't even be compared to what it was then.  You had cars and station wagons packed with 4 or 5 hunters in them parked all over the place.  These days you will see a huge truck with one hunter in it.  No comparison to what it used to be!

Nope I was born in 84. But heard from old timers in the northern zone. Hunting doing drives and never pushing a deer. Deer population s have come along way up here. Last year was the first time since 06 I didn't kill a deer. 

Used to be if you didn’t arrive by at least 530 am you couldn’t get a spot on the road near me opening day. This year on opening day 6 cars on the road . It used to be we get out opening day and hunt near the boarder and wait for the parade of deer they kick out. Now you are lucky to see a deer. East otto deer population is in decline big time. I’m not pointing fingers at why but the Amish did move in!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DanD said:

I was down at camp Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. Region 8. Did not another vehicle parked on the side of the road anywhere near where I hunt Saturday or Sunday. Heard 6 shots Sunday. Nothing near me. All from the other side of the lake. But I did deer. Not sure where all the hunters are. I’ll be back down for the weekend Friday morning. 

We had a guy show up with 2 big vans a few years ago. I was eating my lunch at the truck and had seen them pull up. Vans were loaded with  Amish / Mennonite.   I walked up and asked the ring leader what he thought he was doing there . He leased the property in the next valley  and planned to push my woods .. and 2 neighbors property to the top and cross the road on top and into the next valley.  I told him like he'll he was . Called state troopers . Dec and troopers showed up quick . They had not started the drive  but were postioned up the road spaced out  to start . I told the dec guy what he was doing  and that he was trespassing on me and the neighbors .  They wrote tickets to all that were on me  but the rest he gave a warning .  Said there was nothing he could do on the ones that where on neighbors as they weren't present to press charges . The police left and they all loaded up to go . The ring leader had some choice words for me .  I thanked him and reminded him that the 2 black vans with Jersey plates sure stood out and would be a shame of  something were to happen to them all the way up here in NY. He lost his lease that year.

• Like 2