Binoculars recomendations

loworange88

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

I will have to check . That may actually be the one I bought as well.

I thought it was crossfire but may have been diamondback. I know I went with 10x. And if you drink coffee like me you need a rest in order to still the shaking..lol. I think for eastern use I would have bought 8 power or under for me.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

A little bit over your price range is the leupold bx2 alpine , they advertise to brighten the image in low light conditions and I can say they definitely do . I think I paid 219 ,worth a look if you can catch a sale with christmas coming up.

I'm pretty sure these were on sale in latest BPS add

Be careful with marketing. Vortex has moved to using or not using the HD designation. 

Highly suggest you look into lenses at that pricepoint that include ED or HD (same designation in most marketing situations). Those will help with hunting conditions.

Vortex has found a way to sell Diamondback and Crossfire with and without the extra-low dispersion (ED). The non ED glass, I would pass on personally for hunting use considering their impact in low light conditions in the field.

Vortex makes a good product and known for replacement policies that are favorable to consumers. Most all manufacturers of the lower price point glass is going to be made in China or have significant exposure to materials from China and be assembled in Philippines, etc. 

One company that you may want to look into is Vanguard. They own their entire production chain - very much unlike alot of the brands we think of first who contract out. If you search hard enough you can find a deal on Endeavor ED or EDII close to your price range. They are solid for the money. I sold my Vortex and run the Endeavor ED glass now and am happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I will have to check . That may actually be the one I bought as well.

I thought it was crossfire but may have been diamondback. I know I went with 10x. And if you drink coffee like me you need a rest in order to still the shaking..lol. I think for eastern use I would have bought 8 power or under for me.

now that you mention it, i'm not sure which model vortex i have haha. They were on sale for like $150 a few years ago. I know there is a nock on vortex because they're made overseas but they have held up under some pretty rough conditions and the clarity is all I need for hunting where I do. If I hunted out west I'd invest a lot more in binos. 

I think he would have a hard time finding one for $150

Your right i was thinking of the Argos. I bought a set of Cronus for my son to fool with and getting mixed up between the two.

I looked though the Argos a bit was surprised at the price they carry. If I was on a short budget that’s what I would consider.

I would be remiss if did advise someone to save up a bit and start looking at glass in the 1k retail range as I think that’s were you see some value for entry level binoculars
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone!  I have some homework to do.
Side note, i found some Redfields marked way down.  Anyone have any experience?  I remember looking through a few of their riflescopes years ago, and they seemed nice.

I think that’s Leopold budget brand or at least it was years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

22 hours ago, phade said:

Be careful with marketing. Vortex has moved to using or not using the HD designation. 

Highly suggest you look into lenses at that pricepoint that include ED or HD (same designation in most marketing situations). Those will help with hunting conditions.

Vortex has found a way to sell Diamondback and Crossfire with and without the extra-low dispersion (ED). The non ED glass, I would pass on personally for hunting use considering their impact in low light conditions in the field.

Vortex makes a good product and known for replacement policies that are favorable to consumers. Most all manufacturers of the lower price point glass is going to be made in China or have significant exposure to materials from China and be assembled in Philippines, etc. 

One company that you may want to look into is Vanguard. They own their entire production chain - very much unlike alot of the brands we think of first who contract out. If you search hard enough you can find a deal on Endeavor ED or EDII close to your price range. They are solid for the money. I sold my Vortex and run the Endeavor ED glass now and am happy with it.

i've been thinking about vanguard ever since they showed up as a fundraiser product source for QDMA/NDA. I've wondered how they are in terms of quality for the money. haven't pulled the trigger as i still use my older nikon monarch 10x42 binos. as my kids get older and start to go out with me more i'll have to pick something else up. probably let them use my nikons.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've been thinking about vanguard ever since they showed up as a fundraiser product source for QDMA/NDA. I've wondered how they are in terms of quality for the money. haven't pulled the trigger as i still use my older nikon monarch 10x42 binos. as my kids get older and start to go out with me more i'll have to pick something else up. probably let them use my nikons.

They're solid for the price point. Optics can escalate quickly in price and value vs performance and everyone has to find their comfort level with dollar spend. I am rough on binos and my partner, well he makes me look like I baby mine. So far the Vanguard have held up to both of us tossing them around. I have their spotter too.

Athlon reminds of Vortex when they were up and coming; Vortex is trying to be more mainstream and big box the past few years. They have expanded model lines now, too, which I think complicates things.