Waterfowl Duck Hunting Long Island Nassau Suffolk County

longislandbowhunter

As I venture into more duck hunting on long island, I realize how incompetent the state, towns, county, and dec is at giving out the proper information. I have received numerous

fines, tickets, summons, etc. when I was told I was legal and good to go. Can we come together and put a compiled list together as to where NOT to hunt for one reason or another.

Town of Southampton. No hunting where the town owns the "bottom". Can someone elaborate on this?

Town of Huntington. No discharge of firearms anywhere in town of huntington inland, freshwater bodies, creeks, etc. No discharge of firearms in any of the harbors, lloyd harbor, huntington bay, not sure where the line ends if you want to hunt sea ducks in the sound. Maybe someone can chime in.

13 minutes ago, longislandbowhunter said:

As I venture into more duck hunting on long island, I realize how incompetent the state, towns, county, and dec is at giving out the proper information. I have received numerous

fines, tickets, summons, etc. when I was told I was legal and good to go. Can we come together and put a compiled list together as to where NOT to hunt for one reason or another.

Town of Southampton. No hunting where the town owns the "bottom". Can someone elaborate on this?

Town of Huntington. No discharge of firearms anywhere in town of huntington inland, freshwater bodies, creeks, etc. No discharge of firearms in any of the harbors, lloyd harbor, huntington bay, not sure where the line ends if you want to hunt sea ducks in the sound. Maybe someone can chime in.

I used to hunt the south shore , Gilgo and Tobay beaches and marshes. Excellent hunting a long time ago with endless marsh to wander thru along the bays. I hunted an area in South Hampton once but felt like I was always in somebody's backyard, which we basically were, lol

As far as I understand, the Hamptons are mostly locals-only. Not surprising. 
We hunt a lot out of Point Lookout. Loads of brant and some puddle ducks. I also hunt locally on the north shore in eastern Suffolk. As long as we’re below the high tide line and shooting over the water, we’re legal. 

1 hour ago, virgil said:

We hunt a lot out of Point Lookout. Loads of brant and some puddle ducks. I also hunt locally on the north shore in eastern Suffolk. As long as we’re below the high tide line and shooting over the water, we’re legal. 

In theory, yes. I have received tickets hunting out of my boat or kayak in many eastern suffolk harbors and bays. The high water mark does not always apply. Try to hunt floating in the water in huntington bay and see what happens. Same goes for stony brook.

Ok. I’ve never had a problem. I see DEC officers every now and then near my house where I hunt and have always been reassured that we’re legal. Haven’t tried Stony Brook. But, I know that Nissequoge has a lot of restrictions. Maybe you can reach out to the local DEC officer beforehand in whichever area you’re looking to hunt. 

5 minutes ago, longislandbowhunter said:

In theory, yes. I have received tickets hunting out of my boat or kayak in many eastern suffolk harbors and bays. The high water mark does not always apply. Try to hunt floating in the water in huntington bay and see what happens. Same goes for stony brook.

3 hours ago, virgil said:

Ok. I’ve never had a problem. I see DEC officers every now and then near my house where I hunt and have always been reassured that we’re legal. Haven’t tried Stony Brook. But, I know that Nissequoge has a lot of restrictions. Maybe you can reach out to the local DEC officer beforehand in whichever area you’re looking to hunt. 

Where do you live? I know the great south bay is pretty non restricted. I always heard the nissequogue was good to go providing you find a legal place to park and launch? Follow al nys hunting laws and your good. obviously you would be mostly restricted to hunting the salty marsh areas near the mouth.nothing down by landing ave, etc.

11 hours ago, longislandbowhunter said:

Where do you live? I know the great south bay is pretty non restricted. I always heard the nissequogue was good to go providing you find a legal place to park and launch? Follow al nys hunting laws and your good. obviously you would be mostly restricted to hunting the salty marsh areas near the mouth.nothing down by landing ave, etc.

I'm in the Stony Brook area.  My understanding of the Nissequoge is that the Town of Smithtown makes parking and launch access difficult- i think it's residents only.  I could be wrong about that.

To hunt Hampton bays you need to be a resident and apply for a duck blind with the town. You go on a waiting list and when picked you can construct an blind at your location of choice. I believe that is the only legal way to duck hunt out there. I know bellport bay is off limits due to the pattersquash gun club owning the water rights. The lack of information on legal hunting is ridiculous. DEC website is poor and towns don’t make it readily known on their hunting or discharge laws. I have heard about the nissequogue but from my understanding is you need to be a town resident to launch at the boat ramp. Maybe you can launch at the town over and motor in? 

• Like 1

As far as Huntington area goes, it’s closed all the way to the NY/CT line which means you couldn’t even seaduck outside the harbor. DEC, if you get a reasonable officer, only adheres to the State and Federal regulations. For instance, if your hunting Head of the Harbor they will not ticket you since that’s a town ordinance. As far as the Nissy goes, I definitely wouldn’t launch from Stony Brook and drive around. On a typical NW wind there you’re gonna get your ass kicked and if you have wind against tide there good luck with that. Unfortunately since the evolution of FB a lot of these places are shot up now. I gunned the Nissy for over 20 years and now I wouldn’t waste setting my alarm clock for it. Same goes for Port Jeff, conscience bay and that entire area get pounded literally every day