Ice Fishing

GreeneHunter

I was fortunate that my immediate area didn't get much snow. I am reading horror stories of slush on a lot of lakes, making machines tough to use to get on and off the lakes.

The lake I fished this weekend, I just walk out on and pull my shanty on a sled. Just three inches of hard snow and a little slush at the bottom. nothing at all to worry about. It was windy at times, but manageable in the shanty. The fish were way more cooperative than they have been. I brought home 10 perch and 10 crappies to fillet up for a few dinners.

• Like 2

Whose looking to sell me a fish finder? We watched this old timer slay slab Crappy 20 yards away using a Marcum Showdown 5.6..simple clean looking machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you want a flasher? If my portable Garmin has a flasher mode you can borrow it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

In my opinion there's 2 types of fisherman now, those who will never again fish without a sonar flasher and those who haven't tried one yet...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Couldn’t agree more. Early ice this year I drove 2hrs only to realize I forgot the battery for my fish finder on the charger. I never unloaded my stuff and drove home.

• Like 1

I sense your fear of being even more out fished if I have one

Nah. It's not a competition for me. I get excited for all fish caught not only those I land. I just like being out on the ice with buds. However I would recommend a true flasher and I am sure many of our other resident ice fishermen would probably agree.

I’ve probably been out 40 times this year so far and heading back out again tomorrow to lake George. I’m baffled by the amount of people out this year! Weekend have always been busy but even weekdays are crowded this year.

The good thing is fishing has been fantastic everywhere I’ve been!

I’ve probably been out 40 times this year so far and heading back out again tomorrow to lake George. I’m baffled by the amount of people out this year! Weekend have always been busy but even weekdays are crowded this year.

The good thing is fishing has been fantastic everywhere I’ve been!

How thick is the ice on LF? Someone i know posted a video of a helicopter landing on it this past weekend

How thick is the ice on LF? Someone i know posted a video of a helicopter landing on it this past weekend

It depends on where you go. This morning I was on 5-6” up towards the north end with 12” of snow on top yesterday on the souther end there was 9” of good ice and another 6” of slush ice on top of that.

• Like 1