Got a guy out of state interested in buying my truck ?

luberhill

Dont do it !  Interest in buying the truck has nothing to do with if you have a loan on it or not . The only time that would matter at all is if he wants to pay cash for the truck . Even then it doesn't matter because the bank just mails him the titles in a couple days .  Sounds like he just wants to see your name and address info .  Too many scams out there.

Do you have the truck listed for sale somewhere ?   

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

Dont do it !  Interest in buying the truck has nothing to do with if you have a loan on it or not . The only time that would matter at all is if he wants to pay cash for the truck . Even then it doesn't matter because the bank just mails him the titles in a couple days .  Sounds like he just wants to see your name and address info .  Too many scams out there.

Do you have the truck listed for sale somewhere ?   

^^^ This ^^^ why would he need the title info before buying when you would sign it over . 

6 hours ago, luberhill said:

He asked me for a couple pics and copy of window sticker

Now he asked me if I had clear title or if there was a payoff 

Told him title is clear, no liens 

He asked me to text a copy of the title front and back 

I think the guy is legit but ..,,

If you think he’s legit, go for it.  

I have bought and sold cars with out of state parties.  Always went smooth.  Makes sense asking if title is clean and for VIN to do carfax.   Not sure why a photo is needed but then again, there isn’t much info on a title that isn’t something you will provide anyways.   Without looking, name, address and VIN.  

47 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have bought and sold cars with out of state parties.  Always went smooth.  Makes sense asking if title is clean and for VIN to do carfax.   Not sure why a photo is needed but then again, there isn’t much info on a title that isn’t something you will provide anyways.   Without looking, name, address and VIN.  

A guy I know that does cars said , just put a pc of paper over your address and write “ copy” on it ?

he said the vin and any other info isn’t any biggie ??

he said the guy for sure would want to know if there are any liens

2 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

absolutely no matter what, I would never sell a vehicle for anything but green cash in hand in person. 

I sold a motor home once to a guy in Idaho

My banker set up a brand new account , gave the guy that number

he wired funds into it, my banker transferred the funds to my actual account .

everything went smooth

the guy flew here and drove it home

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

A guy I know that does cars said , just put a pc of paper over your address and write “ copy” on it ?

he said the vin and any other info isn’t any biggie ??

he said the guy for sure would want to know if there are any liens

This^^^^^

Block out your name and address. He'll be able to see the lien area is clear.

The guy is a auto broker in Texas , I spoke to him a few times , he is going to wire the funds and when they clear he will arrange for his carrier to pick the truck up ..

Sounds legit and if I have the title AND the truck and his cashiers check I don’t see a problem

And I hold the check until funds have cleared 

I once sold a corvette to a guy in Tennessee at westchester county airport in 2008. He kept hitting me up through autotrader ad, and I thought he was a farce. Finally i agreed to meet him. he flew in and drove it home with Tenn dealer platers lol. Paid cash.

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I once sold a corvette to a guy in Tennessee at westchester county airport in 2008. He kept hitting me up through autotrader ad, and I thought he was a farce. Finally i agreed to meet him. he flew in and drove it home with Tenn dealer platers lol. Paid cash.

Yea this guy seems legit , I googled and spoke to him .

He’s willing to send me the funds and wait till they clear ..

Seems like he has more to loose than me ..

Its over 50k so I would rely on my bank to tell me when it was safe .

Im sure they could send a copy of the check to the bank in Texas to verify ??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Well now a local dealer wants it for 52k

So I’ll probably do that .. but then I want another truck , so I’ll try and find something for like 30k used that I can use hunting and not worry about scratches etc

Remember,  you don't pay taxes on the value of your trade in unlike a cash deal.

I hadn't realized this until my last deal. I sold my truck to a friend for what the dealer offered for a trade in. It cost me the tax on that more than it would jave it I had traded it in. 

Edited by ncountry