Favorite bullet to hate

I personally  can't stand a remington corelock in any caliber. Damn things seem to grenade no matter where I hit them . I'm partial  to the nosler partitions.. and federal fusions.  The fusions work well out of my 270,30/06, 243,and 308 . Although  I like the performance of the nosler bullets  ... they do tend to be expensive. 

I personally  can't stand a remington corelock in any caliber. Damn things seem to grenade no matter where I hit them . I'm partial  to the nosler partitions.. and federal fusions.  The fusions work well out of my 270,30/06, 243,and 308 . Although  I like the performance of the nosler bullets  ... they do tend to be expensive. 

Agreed on the corelocks… I’m sure there is a box or two somewhere in my stash but I won’t fire them at game anymore.

Mostly Hornady superformance.

Or federal fusions depending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

1 minute ago, stubborn1VT said:

I had good luck with Coreloks back in the day, but they changed.  Between one season and the next they wouldn't shoot out of rifle.  Been shooting Federals ever since.  

Interesting.  I have never had any performance issue with Rem Corelocks (180 gr RN) in my 30-06. However, it is factory old stock ammo (sale price stickers on box is $9.99).  Handloading the Nosler 180gr  Partition have not been good for me.  Pencil hole pass throughs; probably better for larger than whitetail game like bear/elk/moose.  Have switched to handloaded Nosler 165 gr Accubond and could not be happier.  Shot deer have been DRT with large exit wounds and wound channels.

I honestly belive  remington  changed the mix of lead a while back. Thinned down the jacket . Back when they first came out they were great . I used the alot when I hunted PA. First new box I bought when they opened rifles to my area didn't group well and the meat damage was ridiculous.  And yes I know enough to stay off the shoulder.

• Like 1

I shot them for years and shot great groups.  One year in the early 2000s I bought a new box of my usual 150 grains and couldn't get them to group.  I was mad and a little worried.  I ran to Walmart and grabbed a box of 150 grain Federals and put the first 3 or 4 rounds in a 1.5" orange sticker at 100ish yards.  I have shot blue box Federals since then.

It simply could have been a bad box of Coreloks, but then I have heard about numerous primer problems with Remington ammo.  My local gun shop also had complaints about their newer guns so...

15 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Dont know what they go for now but I have paid as little as $18 and up to $ 23 per box . But I  bought a small surplus  over the last few years . Last time they were on the shelf they were  34  . Has been over  3 years since I bought a box .

Everything is expensive now. Haven't seen anything on the shelves in the caliber's I have in over a year. 

1 minute ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I expected a core lokt bash before I clicked the link. I like them a lot more than the old Winchester power point. 

I will take the heat off ...

Wife shot her doe with federal fusion 243 ... entered  behind shoulder at a steep angle forward  crossed the neck hitting far leg  in the femur  shattering the leg  into alot of pieces . DRT. Opposite  leg appears  to have been extended pretty far . Took alot of probing to find the bullet track im still amazed at the damage  

Remington core-lokt is my favorite factory ammo. Close to 100% of the deer I've shot with my 300win mag with 150grain remingtons fall over on the spot. I've tried harder constructed bullets and they all ran. Not far but they ran.lol

I'm reloading 130 grain Barnes this year.  I like a fast bullet . We will see how they work.

Never did any real testing just what I have seen in the deer killed with them . When we as a group first got into inlines that was the hot bullet.  Quite a few of us killed with them  but the first couple years we kept bumping the powder charge up to get results . My remington 54 caliber liked them at 117 grains of pyrodex.  Started at 85 grains and they penciled through.

Power belts are very hard . Have to push them hard to get them to do anything in a deer .  Pencil  through for the most part.
Just the opposite in all my testing I've done on them. 
Nytracker.....pencil through?

Stuff.....what has your testing found?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Interesting....I haven't shot much of anything with  centerfire rifle ammo since the mid 1970's...At that time I shot perhaps 4 or 5 deer with Rem Corelocts in a 7 x 57 and a  25-06... ...  They worked fine..... I haven,t shot a game animal with factory loads in about 50 years...Several of my rifles have never had a factory load fired through them...

The game I shot with the Rem factory loads expired promptly,  but that was years ago...

For many years my go to bullet was the Nosler Ballistic tip, mostly in the .280 Rem...Nosler partitions performed well also but didn't group quite as good as the BT's...

A few years back I tried some Barnes X bullets,  on recommendation of some online friends....They were very accurate in my rifles and performed well on game...They are all I have used in my .280 and my 7MM 08 for the last 20 years or so...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

Have had great luck with cor locks in several rifles  . My mini 30 is a tack driver with them

My most hated bullets are power belts used for muzzleloaders. About the only thing they would be good for is dental fillings !!!!

Absolutely can't stand powerbelts. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Nytracker.....pencil through?

Stuff.....what has your testing found?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

The faster you push them the more they fragment, the slower you push them more mushroom. 

I have only killed (3) deer with center fire rifles and all were DRT  (1 mule deer with 165 gr Hornady light magnum 30/06, and two white tails with 150 gr Federal classic 30/06.  I don’t have a reason to hate either of those.  

My least favorite foster type shotgun slug would be the Remington slugger.  Group size was always about double what I got with Winchesters, from my Ithaca 37 16 gauge.  

I only use them because they are all that I have left in sufficient quantity.  They have always got the job done for me on deer, but I have to keep the shots under about 75 yards.  

This one didn't quite make it all the way thru this 3.5 year old 9 pointer’s rib cage, from 50 yards away, two weeks ago.  It stayed relatively intact though, so we shouldn’t have to worry about much lead in our burger.

D98C46AB-E1FD-4361-B067-E6314C17383F.jpeg

65570382-625D-4CBD-B4C6-98442501E4A0.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Absolutely can't stand powerbelts. 
Agreed. I guess I really don't HATE any particular bullet for whitetails except for powerbelts. My father uses them and hardly ever gets exits, even at close range. They aren't great for accuracy either. That being said, I've never lost a deer with a rifle, pretty much all rifle rounds work just fine on deer, they're easy to kill for the most part. I will shoot whatever shoots best in my rifles, not too worried about composition, people way overthink bullets for deer.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1