Baiting Coyotes

Does anyone hunt coyotes over bait? I'm thinking of trying it this winter. Would be able to see the bait site from my house. (I have trail cam pics of coyotes in my yard pretty frequently.) Planning on starting the site with scraps from my buck and making a baitsicle once temps allow. Just ordered a red headlamp and a red light for a scope mount. Any tips or suggestions?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Buddy of mine does this. He has a cell cam set up at the bait. Gets a notification and shoots from the house. 

I have a friend that does this. He uses some sort of motion sensor that sets off an alarm..Annoys the crap out of his wife when he pops out of bed ,opens the window and shoots a coyote..lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I have a friend that does this. He uses some sort of motion sensor that sets off an alarm..Annoys the crap out of his wife when he pops out of bed ,opens the window and shoots a coyote..lol

Someone from here uses a sensor, he did well with it 

I'm planning on doing something similar with a cell cam for notification. So, it must be fairly effective? Need to do whatever I can to thin a few out. Don't have much success calling for some reason. Still brushing up on those skills! Would like to learn to trap them next year.

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

He has 3 kids age 12 to 3. He said they don't even know he shot. Lol.

• Like 1

I have a friend that collects road kills in the winter and stakes them down at his sites. In the past he has set up cams on them and checked the cards every few days but he has gotten into cell cams this year so that will probably help him out some. He switched to all thermal a couple years ago and he says that has made a big difference also.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, E J said:

He switched to all thermal a couple years ago and he says that has made a big difference also.

I plan to use a cell cam also. I would love to have a thermal scope, but just can't justify spending the $ on one. Maybe if I could find a used cheapo scope. I'll use the red lights to start with to see how it goes first.

I do behind my house where its convenient for me. On properties i hunt/call I do not. I dont like adding extra scents to the area. and putting a camera over bait piles may keep coyotes from coming to them. They dont like the flash or the red glow of the IR lights. Unless you can hide it very well or up high. But coyotes are smart and have almost zero forgiveness, especially the older ones.

That being said i use bait from deer carcasses set out in the back field. Typically they are gone within days. They would be more used to a different scent around houses or what not, vs my hunting locations where housing is slim to none. Also, pound a stake of some sort through everything to make them work hard for that bait pile. It buys you time while theyre occupied and it will usually mean they have to keep coming back more, rather than them just running off with the big chunks.. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I plan to use a cell cam also. I would love to have a thermal scope, but just can't justify spending the $ on one. Maybe if I could find a used cheapo scope. I'll use the red lights to start with to see how it goes first.

Coyote running around your yard is all you need to justify buying a thermal scope.

Once you buy and use it, you'll find many ways of justifying the need to buy a thermal monocular too !

Don't shy away from wanting to become the top predator in your area, embrace it.

give-in-to-the-dark-side.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 12/13/2021 at 8:21 AM, LET EM GROW said:

I do behind my house where its convenient for me. On properties i hunt/call I do not. I dont like adding extra scents to the area. and putting a camera over bait piles may keep coyotes from coming to them. They dont like the flash or the red glow of the IR lights. Unless you can hide it very well or up high. But coyotes are smart and have almost zero forgiveness, especially the older ones.

That being said i use bait from deer carcasses set out in the back field. Typically they are gone within days. They would be more used to a different scent around houses or what not, vs my hunting locations where housing is slim to none. Also, pound a stake of some sort through everything to make them work hard for that bait pile. It buys you time while theyre occupied and it will usually mean they have to keep coming back more, rather than them just running off with the big chunks.. 

I’ve never had issues with cams over bait piles keeping yotes away. Black flash and IR have always worked well. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, ncountry said:

Oh man, by this time of the year my wife is annoyed enough with my hunting I couldn't imagine doing this to her. LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

They pick mine out instantly and wont return until the cams are gone.. "Blackflash" cams not so much.. 

Interesting. I have never done anything special with mine, though 90% of the time I’ve used black flash cams on bait piles. I’ve had them on trees down low, up high and on Tposts near the piles.