Duck it!

Robhuntandfish

Rob if you like to spend money on hunting necessities like we all do, here are some items you will want to add. 1. Waterfowl choke for your shotgun  2. Duck calls and lanyard for calls. 3. Blind bag. 4. Neoprene decoy gloves  5. Lanyard to carry ducks if you score lol  6. Floating shotgun case  7. Face paint or face mask. 8. The Finisher duck tool. 9. Waterproof camo clothing. And all of this is assuming you are walking in and retrieving your kills. If you get into a boat and dog you can easily end up in the poor house! Good luck.    valoroutdoors.com

hunting-1.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CharlieNY said:

Rob if you like to spend money on hunting necessities like we all do, here are some items you will want to add. 1. Waterfowl choke for your shotgun  2. Duck calls and lanyard for calls. 3. Blind bag. 4. Neoprene decoy gloves  5. Lanyard to carry ducks if you score lol  6. Floating shotgun case  7. Face paint or face mask. 8. The Finisher duck tool. 9. Waterproof camo clothing. And all of this is assuming you are walking in and retrieving your kills. If you get into a boat and dog you can easily end up in the poor house! Good luck.    valoroutdoors.com

hunting-1.jpg

ive avoided adding in this hobby for this very reason!  lol 

14 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

You can usually plant stuff on edges of ponds in mid summer that will really bring.em in later. I like millet. Grows and plants easy.

Already got a lonnnng list of chores for deer season with cutting and some food plots.  Just gonna keep it as simple as I can.  We def have waterfowl there, no shortage as long as the ponds aren't froze up. This year would've been perfect. 

17 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Already got a lonnnng list of chores for deer season with cutting and some food plots.  Just gonna keep it as simple as I can.  We def have waterfowl there, no shortage as long as the ponds aren't froze up. This year would've been perfect. 

I hear that. Once you start dumping them with your buddies it takes over. Youll be watching tony vandermore and habitat flats. Lol It takes me 1 afternoon with a mini tiller and I hand cast the seed preferably before a rain. I have birds to hunt every time I give it a 3 or 4 day rest. Basically every weekend. Don't be surprised if it turns into the same feeling as deet hunting!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I hear that. Once you start dumping them with your buddies it takes over. Youll be watching tony vandermore and habitat flats. Lol It takes me 1 afternoon with a mini tiller and I hand cast the seed preferably before a rain. I have birds to hunt every time I give it a 3 or 4 day rest. Basically every weekend. Don't be surprised if it turns into the same feeling as deet hunting!

I am really looking forward to it. I'm expecting a lot of misses and a lot of laughing at ourselves. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

quizzing myself on ducks now everyday so i know which is which.  At least on the basic ones. I also did a chart with bag limits since who the hell can remember all that?  lol total of 6 - 2 mallards (one hen), 1 pintail, 2 black, 2 redheads, 3 wood, 2 canvasbacks, 1 scaup, (hey im remebering this pretty well!) and a partridge in a pear tree.  Not that i think i will have to worry about limits and am most likely to kill one duck at a time if im lucky.... but good to know. Also downloaded a duck ID app.  and have @Otto @The_Real_TCIII and @Lomax on retainer to help with ID and  "should I have shot this duck?" questions......   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

also this will be my deep water duck retrieval system! On a med/heavy spinning rig with Braid. Sold Price: HEDDON ZARA-SPOOK LURE GAME, HUNTING, FISHING, ADVERTISING,  VINTAGE, TAXIDERMY, ANTIQUE - September 6, 0121 10:00 AM CDT

It works but sometimes it's laughable how much effort it takes to hook them. We have been bringing a little boat. Lol

also this will be my deep water duck retrieval system! On a med/heavy spinning rig with Braid. Sold Price: HEDDON ZARA-SPOOK LURE GAME, HUNTING, FISHING, ADVERTISING,  VINTAGE, TAXIDERMY, ANTIQUE - September 6, 0121 10:00 AM CDT

We have had to use this system in the past. Put some larger treble hooks on the plug and some split shot on the line in front of the plug and it will work better. We have retrieved large Canada Geese doing this. This year my son and I will be using the new system you see in the photo below and I'm looking forward to it.    valoroutdoors.com

20220523_192610.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

It works but sometimes it's laughable how much effort it takes to hook them. We have been bringing a little boat. Lol

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We tried that in Lake Ontario, did not go well lol

but i have mad casting skilz!  lol 

we are also looking for a super cheap boat.  

https://advocatesnairobi.com/كيف-اشتري-اسهم-امريكية/
https://angosiam.com/بيتكوين-مقابل-الدينار-الجزائري/
https://myfemalefunda.com/افضل-سهم-للشراء-اليوم/
https://advocatesnairobi.com/هوامير-مفتوحه/
https://angosiam.com/مناقصات-شركة-السكر-والصناعات-التكامل/

Rob, we would sometimes bring a kayak, or if we were going to Happy Valley WMA, we would have our canoe.
034e6dae03119c2ac83135e0e0a1ddeb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

We are looking for a real cheap boat before season. There used to be an old rowboat out there. Gonna try to find it and see if it's sea worthy now that the water has gone down.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 8:16 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

We are looking for a real cheap boat before season. There used to be an old rowboat out there. Gonna try to find it and see if it's sea worthy now that the water has gone down.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

we checked on the boat this weekend now that the water has gone down.  But the boat is gone.  Was there from duck hunters that used it years ago but they no longer hunt there and mustve taken it with them.  So for now are limited to using a casting pole or wading if they go in the pond. 

We are planning to try using a treestand skirt that Corey bought and make a duck blind out of it.  Gonna try it this weekend see how it goes. 

trying not to invest any more into this until we see how it goes there. Ponds mght be froze over by then and not even worth hunting. We will def not duck hunt til 2nd season which starts Dec 3rd.   Real disapointed they took away those two goose days that overlapped with the late duck season.    

• 2 months later...

So about calling.......  My plan is to put out decoys get behind a blind and hope for the best. Or even jump shoot a day or two without anything other than the shotgun.  Is calling all that important?  Esp bad calling.  lol I dont want to call and sound like Gilbert Godfried or something that scare them off more than attracts them.  Ive practiced a little and to me i sound like a duck.   

• Like 1

I remember when the limit on blue bills was 5 but when you hunted lake Ontario or the bays you had 2 bonus blue bills. We would go up to Dexter NY and hunt Black River Bay. We had this spot we called blue bill point we would put out 12dz blue bill decoys. One time 4 of us shot are 7 bird limit both days one weekend that was 56 birds in 2 days. Best shoot we ever had. Use to love shooting divers. Those were the days.

• Like 1

So about calling.......  My plan is to put out decoys get behind a blind and hope for the best. Or even jump shoot a day or two without anything other than the shotgun.  Is calling all that important?  Esp bad calling.  lol I dont want to call and sound like Gilbert Godfried or something that scare them off more than attracts them.  Ive practiced a little and to me i sound like a duck.   

I don't think calling is important at all, at least not in the small waters ( rivers and local ponds/swamps)  where I have done most of my hunting...A lot of times, if you watch the birds and learned the areas they prefer to land, you won't even need decoys...  However  , it is cool to see the birds work into the decoys, and provides some good shot opportunities when they lower the landing gear and start to pitch in...In most places, 6-8 decoys in the right place will do the trick...

Don't worry about the call...Carry it and tryit if you like, but don't expect any dramatic success with it..

• Like 1

I found a nice spot on a wildlife management area it’s a walk in. so I use my deer hauler to bring my stuff in. I shot my limit. on my way out I met a conservation officer. He told I was his first person he ever checked for duck hunting there.