Cast Iron Skillet Recommendations?

Lawdwaz

• 2 weeks later...
The fry pan handle says 12. I can make out USA on bottom. 
IMG_20220208_194816688_HDR.thumb.jpg.5cf48b55ac16b9c3f77ff1918e624e58.jpg
IMG_20220208_194822223.thumb.jpg.97f997e9293a424389e483c913467970.jpg
Those will come clean. What I did when I had a rusty one was first try to wash with steel wool. Then I dried it obviously and then threw in my oven on the self clean setting to burn off any of the current scuz and seasoning. Then washed and dried again with steel wool and then soap and water to get it as clean as possible and remove any remaining rust (I only had light surface rust). Once dried nicely I started my seasoning process all over again and came out fantastic!

[mention=3682]The Jerkman[/mention]I broke my stove or it broke last night working on the cast iron.
Lol my friggin luck. So now I have to get another one. Who knows how old this one is, it came with the house
So yay new stove for me!  Haha
Yikes. Well new stove day will be fun!

On 2/9/2022 at 11:55 AM, Paula said:

Thank you,  I have a gas stove so not sure if it has self clean. Not sure I even want to keep them. I'm going to start work on them tonight

Another way to get everything off is to coat the pan completely with oven cleaner and then let it sit overnight in a sealed garbage bag. Rinse the next day and begin seasoning.

Edited by left field

2 hours ago, left field said:

Another way to get everything off is to coat the pan completely with oven cleaner and then let it sit overnight in a sealed garbage bag. Rinse the next day and begin seasoning.

Thanks for posting that, I think I will pass on that process. I will finish the process after I get my stove, should be here Thursday. 

@Biz-R-OWorld it's cast iron, they are great pans but it just takes time working them to get it right. I doubt there would be any seepage in the pan that would affect the food or you. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paula said:

Thanks for posting that, I think I will pass on that process. I will finish the process after I get my stove, should be here Thursday. 

@Biz-R-OWorld it's cast iron, they are great pans but it just takes time working them to get it right. I doubt there would be any seepage in the pan that would affect the food or you. 

Iron is good for you and you don’t get much of that from cooking your food  in copper or Teflon.  

• Like 1

Another old school method to remove rust is to cut a potato in half, and use it to sand the pan down with kosher salt.  Thats the method i was taught, and how my family used it on the farm years, and years ago. 
Also a great way to clean the pans. Little hot water bunch of salt and a potato instead of a sponge and really helps scrape off any burnt on food. Then rinse hot water and dry off. Finally a thin coat of oil to store and you're golden. And just gets better and better each time you cook with it
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:
18 hours ago, Bionic said:
Another old school method to remove rust is to cut a potato in half, and use it to sand the pan down with kosher salt.  Thats the method i was taught, and how my family used it on the farm years, and years ago. 

Also a great way to clean the pans. Little hot water bunch of salt and a potato instead of a sponge and really helps scrape off any burnt on food. Then rinse hot water and dry off. Finally a thin coat of oil to store and you're golden. And just gets better and better each time you cook with it

I get new stove Thursday and have next week off, so I'll be able to work on it then

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bionic said:

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I use mine as a drain pan when I do oil changes , im all about saving time these days.

Potato , salt , and oil .   Between the two of you , it sounds like the perfect recipe for home fries LOL

• Like 2