Hunting with muzzleloader in wet condition

Chuck B

What type of ML? Most inlines you have very little to worry about. As previously mentioned, a piece of tape over the muzzle is a good idea. When I had an inline I also would put a piece of duct tape over the breach.

If it is a traditional side hammer, different story. In a light mist, percussion caps usually are ok. Otherwise you need a "Cows Knee". Google them. It is a leather or treated cloth drape that goes over the lock and is held in place by quickly released strings. In the old days, if it rained, you stayed inside.

Thanks guys,I should have been more specific,cva wolf,50 cal.i like the tape/ condom suggestion.I have the claw sling with tubes for powder primer, bullet on the sling itself,any experience with those as far as wet weather conditions,thanks again really appreciate the input

It rained almost every day they the early ML season up north last year and about half the days this year.  My T/C Omega is stainless, so I didn’t worry much about rust.  

I did use black electric rape over the end of the muzzle, which did not seem to affect the point of impact when i shot a doe thru it from about 40 yards away.

I didn’t have a roll of tape with me when it started raining again later in the week when I was out for a bear or a buck.  I cut the end off one of the fingers of my field dressing gloves and used they over the muzzle.

316BC15C-5E6D-43A0-BA13-937DE83FAB37.jpeg

FB0E9B63-B522-4136-8B29-21E912520F7D.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

36 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

Thanks guys,I should have been more specific,cva wolf,50 cal.i like the tape/ condom suggestion.I have the claw sling with tubes for powder primer, bullet on the sling itself,any experience with those as far as wet weather conditions,thanks again really appreciate the input

Never used that sling ,I have a couple of those deals that hold the 3 tubes and primers I just jeep in my coat pocket ,reloading is a breeze.

Here's my solution, after years of experimenting. This is still a work in progress, but it has worked well so far. 

I use 3M Tegaderm Film from the pharmacy. It is a adhesive (one side) plastic film that is is somewhat stretchy. I put a piece over the muzzle, and trim the excess. Waterproof and stays on well. When shot through, usually blows the piece off although occasionally it just punches a hole through. Can not see that it changes the point-of-impact.

Instead of balloons or condoms, I used to use Walmart Finger covers (also called finger cots. Look like miniature prophylactics.