New reloader checking in

CarlosB

Just returned from Frank's. They only had a few boxes of CCI small, large, and magnum pistol primers. All around $99.99 or so.
I would like to take you up on your offer. Of course I will pay. If you have some time in the next few days maybe we can talk about it.
99.99 for how many primers?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, CarlosB said:

Appreciate the offer. Just picked up a small kit. Hope to set it up an run it this weekend.

51qnya9h6kL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Excellent kit.  After cleaning and straining the media from the cases, be sure to check each case that there is no media stuck in the case, flash hole, or primer pocket as you remove them and place in your reloading block/tray.

• Like 1

For the extra $33 may as well bite the bullet if you are in need of them. 1000 will last you quite some time, if you are a normal shooter/hunter. They won't really make that much difference in accuracy than CCI or most any other primer. They will just be a touch hotter. 

• Like 1

Carlos I picked up one of those Frankford Arsenal case cleaners a few years ago and it does a real good job. One thing you have to check before seating your primers is the flash hole in the primer pocket, after cleaning I found about one in ten cases had a piece of tumbling media stuck in the flash hole, to prevent any ignition problems I used a correctly sized punch to push it out. 

Al

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

1st rounds of reloading. Barnes Ttsx 130gr and BLC(2)

Had some issues with the higher grain weights and seating depth using the Lee classic loader. Initially planned on loading the full range of 50.7 to 56.4, in 0.5 increments. Started at a mid point of 53.9 to check seating depth, could not get to the 2.735 coal recommend, or at least didn't feel comfortable hammering that hard to get there. Got to 2.800 coal comfortably and set them all to that. At that setting on the Lee classic loader CBTO was at 2.175. overall CBTO and coal were pretty consistent.

Used an electric toothbrush along the cases to settle the powder better after the 1st round

Obviously plan on shooting the lowest grains 1st and working up checking cases and primers for any tell-tales of over pressure.

Screenshot_20220201-172358~2.jpg

IMG_20220201_144442.jpg

IMG_20220201_144532.jpg

Edited by CarlosB
Additional information
  • Like 3

This thread has me wanting to do some reloading again myself.. In the past my fil and i did a fair amount of reloading for our guns. We had worked up a load for my old FN 98 mauser action in .308.

While maybe not  everybody's cup of tee. . I really liked the .308 with 48gr IMR4064 with 125 gr sierra Spitzer bullets. -1"moa. It anchored an awful lot of deer..;) 

Edited by ncountry

23 minutes ago, ncountry said:

This thread has me wanting to do some reloading again myself.. In the past my fil and i did a fair amount of reloading for our guns. We had worked up a load for my old FN 98 mauser action in .308.

While maybe not  everybody's cup of tee. . I really liked the .308 with 48gr IMR4064 with 125 gr sierra Spitzer bullets. -1"moa. It anchored an awful lot of deer..;) 

I think once I run through the BLC2 I'll try Benchmark with the 130 gr ttsx. Based on the Barnes load data it shouldn't be a compressed load from min to max load. Also will try to find a cheaper bullet that closely matches the Barnes bullet for plinking/practice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, airedale said:

It is a good upgrade Carlos, I have one of those Lee presses, I use it mostly for depriming cases but it will work well for all loading operations and will load ammo that is as accurate as presses costing much more.  

Al

Initially with the lee classic loader I could not seat bullets to the desired depth. It seems I couldn't hammer hard enough or the crimp was not tight enough to hold the bullet with the powder level in the case. 

With the new press they all were easily set to desired depth and stayed there. Already happy with the purchase

On 1/7/2022 at 9:01 AM, DoubleDose said:

Excellent kit.  After cleaning and straining the media from the cases, be sure to check each case that there is no media stuck in the case, flash hole, or primer pocket as you remove them and place in your reloading block/tray.

I clear any media from the flash hole with a paper clip . Then I use a Primer Pocket Cleaner . 

For ease of seating bullets , I like the boat tails . 

I hate reloading 44 mags . Out of 50 , I might screw up 3 by not seating them straight .Arthritic fingers .

22 hours ago, CarlosB said:

Small upgrade from the hammer and classic. IMG_20220309_171348.thumb.jpg.dd9aaa939fe07adb38a1ba80288a07ea.jpg

Very Nice!! As airdale stated you are good to go now. Very precise and consistent.

Let us know how you do at the range! So much fun testing different recipes.

Great to see you coming along so well Carlos.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Very Nice!! As airdale stated you are good to go now. Very precise and consistent.

Let us know how you do at the range! So much fun testing different recipes.

Great to see you coming along so well Carlos.

Thanks. Your assistance and generosity have helped me along. Hope to get out within the next two weeks