Treestand Hunter Rescued

fasteddie

A friend sent this to me .........

Town of Lysander
Onondaga County
Wilderness Rescue:
 On Dec. 10 at 1:35 p.m., Forest Ranger Chappell was patrolling the Three Rivers Wildlife Management Area when he heard a radio call from Onondaga County for a hunter from Baldwinsville suspended in a tree after his tree stand fell out from underneath him. Within five minutes, Ranger Chappell had located the hunter, who was having a hard time breathing due to the pressure of the harness. With the help of Baldwinsville Police and Fire, the Ranger freed the hunter from the harness. Greater Baldwinsville Community Ambulance took the hunter to a hospital where he was examined and released.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I have to graduate to a harness. With all my hunting gear I'm getting close to 300lb and after having a tree stand accident a few yrs ago, I don’t seem to enjoy sitting in a stand very often since. I don’t like heights either so u can see my dilemma.

7 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Well the point I was asking is if it was a climber 

Sorry, I shouldn't have phrased it like that.

Lets just say it was since the story says "his tree stand fell out from underneath him".  Regardless any stand can fail and fall out from underneath you.  Thank goodness he had a harness on.  We'd all like to know the details but I highly doubt we'll get them.

• Like 1

PSA: The harness is only step one.  The harness protects from fall injury.  However, there is another injury called suspension trauma which comes from being suspended too long in a harness.  This has the potential to also be crippling or fatal.    You need to also have a plan/method to get yourself out of being suspended.  Tom Miranda did a bit on this on part of one of his shows.

• Like 3

I have a whistle on my daughters harness . I’ve also “ practiced “ hanging from a harness. First it’s going to ride up a lot, so have it adjusted properly, second you may not be able to reach a phone, particularly if it’s in a pants pocket , third my stands are all marked on a screen shot of the land and my wife knows which stand I’m in . Also two nearby guys ( landowner, and another Hunter )  have that pic as well , as she’ll be calling them . Suspension strap is a must , although a screw in step is a good choice too .

If I owned a camp I’d have a ladder there staged just for this , as your friends and fellow hunters won’t have ropes, webbing , carabiners and a braking system to do a pick off . 

located 5 minutes from dispatch is almost unbelievable, I’d like to know time to rescue and method used .

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Suspension  strap is a must . Need to have it and learn to deploy it . If he wasn't found for a few hours he  could very well have died . Or died from blood clots on the way to hospital . I carry 2 in my vest just incase I drop one .

This was driving me nuts last night i couldn't think of the name.I wonder how many guys toss them on the side or think what's this for? I have to admit it's been awhile since i've tested mine,i'm going to do it now after seeing this, I keep on forgetting to pick up a life line,but I really don't hunt tree stand much anymore.

Great ending to this story as it sounds like not only was the guy smart enough to wear a harness but he also seemed to have thought about what happens if he falls.

My suspension strap is attached to the harness in such a way that I will always be able to get to it in case of a fall and my cell phone is always in the top pocket of my shirt because I know if I do fall getting into my pants pocket is going to be really hard. In my head the first step after a fall is getting the suspension strap set and in use then grab the phone to make the rescue call. Good thing is I'm generally never hunting alone and the sound of me falling and pooping my pants will probably be enough for someone to come rescue me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3