Treestand Hunter Rescued

fasteddie

13 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

PSA: The harness is only step one.  The harness protects from fall injury.  However, there is another injury called suspension trauma which comes from being suspended too long in a harness.  This has the potential to also be crippling or fatal.    You need to also have a plan/method to get yourself out of being suspended.  Tom Miranda did a bit on this on part of one of his shows.

Exactly why you need a descender system.

No matter the harness, your still hanging in a tree.

Treestand wingman

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 9:49 PM, Nytracker said:

Suspension  strap is a must . Need to have it and learn to deploy it . If he wasn't found for a few hours he  could very well have died . Or died from blood clots on the way to hospital . I carry 2 in my vest just incase I drop one .

You carry two blood clots?

I typically hunt alone so it is very important to have a fall plan in place. Always wear a harness (two good friends who don’t even though we have had two friends die from falls), always have a suspension strap and practice using it. Always have  the phone in a top pocket that will be free from being trapped by harness straps. Always let wife or neighbor what stand I’m heading to and let them know if I change my mind. I have had a climber base fall from under me while climbing down and it was before cell phones were a thing. Luckily, I had a radio and left one with my neighbor. Had to call him to bring a ladder out to get me down. Not fun.

If you don’t think a safety vest is for you, think about those whom depend on/love you. It’s a no brained.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:48 PM, heavuser said:

Treestand Wingman!! I own one, spent an entire day jumping out of trees and it 100% plain ol works over and over again. Will never ever go up a tree without it.

I did the same thing, but the first time I had my brother there, just in case !

After I tried it, my brother had to try it and we were like two kids with a new toy.

Cool thing about it, besides it working, is that you can reuse it, unlike the other descender systems and it's weight adjustable.

My highest stand is 30' and I had strap to spare.

It's upstate , or I'd measure it. 

Besides testing, I've never had to use it, but I know it works and is a lot more reliable than a cell phone or radio.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

I did the same thing, but the first time I had my brother there, just in case !

After I tried it, my brother had to try it and we were like two kids with a new toy.

Cool thing about it, besides it working, is that you can reuse it, unlike the other descender systems and it's weight adjustable.

My highest stand is 30' and I had strap to spare.

It's upstate , or I'd measure it. 

Besides testing, I've never had to use it, but I know it works and is a lot more reliable than a cell phone or radio.

Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed using it lol. Honestly, anyone who uses a tree stand should own one. A harness is great for buying you time, hang long enough though and it's lights out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It is not really that difficult to kill deer from ground level or certainly a lot closer to the ground than many folks seem to prefer.  

True, bit if you are comfortable there is often an advantage especially during archery. During bow season I probably spend 90% of my time in a stand. During firearm season I spend maybe 33% of my time in a stand.

Depending on the area , it's nice to be quickly mobile, and there is not an to advantage being  in the air.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ncountry said:

True, bit if you are comfortable there is often an advantage especially during archery. During bow season I probably spend 90% of my time in a stand. During firearm season I spend maybe 33% of my time in a stand.

Depending on the area , it's nice to be quickly mobile, and there is not an to advantage being  in the air.

When youre on watch, I believe being in the air is advantageous, but I agree with the mobility factor, too.  I like to get down from time to time and do a little still hunting during midday, then climb back up for second watch in the pm.

• Like 1

My property is so stem dense you can't see 20 yards in any direction.  The property was clearcut 30 years ago .  I have hunted this property 25 plus years . All our stands are on logging roads . If it weren't  for tree stands I think our success  rate would be down to 10 percent of what it is .

I spend a majority  of my time clearing roads and brush removal.

On 12/15/2021 at 8:02 PM, Shoots100 said:

Exactly why you need a descender system.

No matter the harness, your still hanging in a tree.

Treestand wingman

That looks like a great system but I wonder if it was used by someone like me that uses a climber a lot how would you get the climber out of the tree? I can envision falling out, descending to the ground, and unable to get the climber back down unless I am missing something.