Poachers!

dirt_a_KISS

Today i was out doing some pre-season turkey scouting when the weather was actually nice. As i walking to the truck with my dad i seen 2-3 shotgun shells and thought to myself this guy either got realy lucky or isnt the best shot. As we were driving down the road i screamed stop and said "dead deer". When we approached the carcass we noticed 2 other deer(3 in total). Each one look to be a buck and they were just left there to rot because some poacher4 wanted the antlers or like the joy of killing them. The point is i felt mad, a resentment towards this, why can't people just harvest deer in season.

Did anyone read the recent article in I believe Outdoor Life about shed theft. This stuff is BIG BUSINESS. Granted these deer may have had their horns a month ago but hit them off with a hammer after they are dead and you are rolling in dough.

Edited by RangerClay

some people simply cant read sign.

pile of deer hides near a spot I trap and hunt and it was called into the warden as a poaching, I looked at the pile and saw the ears had all been split where a tag had hung, the hides had all been rolled up and frozen at one time, most likely it was a fella cleaning out his freezer, who meant to use the hides or was going to sell them, and didnt, now they got dumped . pretty simple, not even remotely a poaching.

there are three spots in ny that I find dumped deer all the time and one in vt where I am sure if we took a ride once a month we'd find recent dumped deer, these are spots the rangers or wardens or local town crews dump road kills, some counties pile dirt on them, others dont, a check of the bones around the ribs and legs usually shows you they are badly damaged or there are big patches down tot he leather where fur was sheared off by sliding across pavement.

the hulls left behind would have told the OP what the game was, shot size, reloads, factory, skeet loads, crow loads, etc, but as I say, most people cant read sign and some cant read it at all.

maybe a predator hunter is piling carcasses for a bait station, maybe a panfisherman is using them to harvest maggots, and maybe someone is shooting deer to add ot their collection of april racks...???...what I dont know is how long the hulls were there, how long were the deer there, were they even connected, how many people were shooting, how many dumped the deer, what vehicles were involved if any?

poor sign reading tells a poor story

Dirt_A_KISS, can understand your frustration. and I am not one to quick judge you. DEC needs everyones help to control this big problem. Is worth a phone call just to file a report, so they have a heads up and a report on file. Then their is a better chance to catch these criminals and reduce their numbers.

I'm having a problem understanding why so many are in such a hurry to accuse the original poster of lying. I saw nothing in his post that indicated that these were fresh kills. So I don't really see anything unusual about finding dead deer with antlers in April. I have found them myself.

I do agree that any such finds should be reported to the DEC. That's a responsibility that we all really have. Whether it's truly an incidence of poaching or not is really up to the DEC to determine. I do hope the incident was reported and who knows ..... maybe it was.

some people simply cant read sign.

pile of deer hides near a spot I trap and hunt and it was called into the warden as a poaching, I looked at the pile and saw the ears had all been split where a tag had hung, the hides had all been rolled up and frozen at one time, most likely it was a fella cleaning out his freezer, who meant to use the hides or was going to sell them, and didnt, now they got dumped . pretty simple, not even remotely a poaching.

there are three spots in ny that I find dumped deer all the time and one in vt where I am sure if we took a ride once a month we'd find recent dumped deer, these are spots the rangers or wardens or local town crews dump road kills, some counties pile dirt on them, others dont, a check of the bones around the ribs and legs usually shows you they are badly damaged or there are big patches down tot he leather where fur was sheared off by sliding across pavement.

the hulls left behind would have told the OP what the game was, shot size, reloads, factory, skeet loads, crow loads, etc, but as I say, most people cant read sign and some cant read it at all.

maybe a predator hunter is piling carcasses for a bait station, maybe a panfisherman is using them to harvest maggots, and maybe someone is shooting deer to add ot their collection of april racks...???...what I dont know is how long the hulls were there, how long were the deer there, were they even connected, how many people were shooting, how many dumped the deer, what vehicles were involved if any?

poor sign reading tells a poor story

Disposing of animal remains is illegal as well... they must be buried... actually most guys don't do it, but when you gut a deer you are suppose to bury the entrails.

I dont think thats 100% true Joe. Predator bait piles consisting of animal remains are 100% legal, and the DEC itself dumps deer and other dead animals in open pits, etc all the time.

Doc, I dont think anyone is saying he is lying about anything, what I am reading (and saying) is that maybe he is getting the wrong idea from the situation. Many people automatically assume that dead deer must be casualties to poachers. A bit more specific info on the situation would probably help clear things up.

Doc, I dont think anyone is saying he is lying about anything, what I am reading (and saying) is that maybe he is getting the wrong idea from the situation. Many people automatically assume that dead deer must be casualties to poachers. A bit more specific info on the situation would probably help clear things up.

Actually, if you go back and read some of the replies there were a couple that basically were calling the post a lie. To quote one of them: "I'm skeptical of your story". Another: "Story is a little thin............". Frankly, I didn't see anything much to be skeptical of. Yes there may be more than one interpretation of what he found, but his interpretation is certainly one of the possibilities. It's not like poaching never happens.

It's quite likely that replies like those are the reason he backed out of the thread and maybe out of forum participation.

I agree Doc, we should all try to take everything with a grain of salt... And try not to degrade some one's oppinion on somthing we have not witnessed in person. Remember Perspective!!! And yes he is probably on another web site by now. Remember as Moderators you should have a impartial view at least at first. Next time request pictures and a more clear picture might be presented... Then the argument of how old, poaching and or a DEC dump pile can be discussed with all seeing the same picture. Otherwise it is a matter of opinion with out facts...

Actually, if you go back and read some of the replies there were a couple that basically were calling the post a lie. To quote one of them: "I'm skeptical of your story". Another: "Story is a little thin............". Frankly, I didn't see anything much to be skeptical of. Yes there may be more than one interpretation of what he found, but his interpretation is certainly one of the possibilities. It's not like poaching never happens.

It's quite likely that replies like those are the reason he backed out of the thread and maybe out of forum participation.

I read those as saying "there isnt enough info to say it was poaching". Just my opionion though.

No, I'm just saying that every so often there seems to be a feeding frenzy mentality that develops where for no particular reason that I can determine, a rather innocent post receives a strange out-of-scale negative or hostile reaction. We can certainly ask for more details and perhaps even offer alternative opinions of what may be going on there without declaring skepticism about the whole story, or declaring the story to be a little thin, etc.

I don't know, I just think that it is not a great way to promote participation. It's not a big deal, but it just struck me a bit odd the way the whole reaction to the post went.

• Like 1

As far as his "backing out" of the thread, go look at his history, hes not someone that posts often or consistantly. He may not have been on much since then to read or reply.

Maybe he was just posting his feelings, you know, like his own personal blog? Who knows.......??

Doc i am not looking for an argument here, but dont things like "the story is a little thin" or saying that one is skeptical about something usually implicate that they are looking for more input from the person that made the original statement?

Just sayin, i dont think anyone has gotten out of line here. If all it takes to offend you is someone saying they are skeptical about a semi-vague story you posted, you may want to rethink posting on the internet to begin with lol.