Southern Zone State Land. Ain't what it used to be.

LOL

59 minutes ago, boo711 said:

I’ve have not hunted much state land, mainly 3 rivers if I do since it is right around the corner from me, but the gates are closed year round. There is no driving “into” the state land. Pull off the main road into the parking area and that is it. I don’t think motorized vehicles should have access to state land. Close the gates and leave them closed year round. That way the roads that are there don’t get torn up

if you polled the audience, 90% of members would say the biggest issue facing hunters today is access. Simply put, there isn't a whole lot of private land you can hunt without shelling out money. Restricting access to large chunks of land just inhibits this more.

When I hunted public land down south they had roads all throughout the national forest. Without it there would be 10's of thousands of acres that would be virtually impossible to hunt, let alone retrieve game from. Those roads were decently maintained, but some of the off shoots required a 4 wheel drive in the rainy season and none were so good that you dared push it above 30, even in a truck. 

To be honest, we have a cabin in the daks and the road is very well maintained, but it's dirt. We like the occasional pothole and washboarding as it slows people down with all the kids and people it's not a bad thing so long as it's not ridiculous, everyone should know that a dirt road is going to not be suited for a sports car, yet any car with a little bit of ground clearance should be able to slowly make it up and down the roads, while not turning it into a rally track.

Just my .02 having quite a bit of experience with various dirt roads. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Belo said:

if you polled the audience, 90% of members would say the biggest issue facing hunters today is access. Simply put, there isn't a whole lot of private land you can hunt without shelling out money. Restricting access to large chunks of land just inhibits this more.

When I hunted public land down south they had roads all throughout the national forest. Without it there would be 10's of thousands of acres that would be virtually impossible to hunt, let alone retrieve game from. Those roads were decently maintained, but some of the off shoots required a 4 wheel drive in the rainy season and none were so good that you dared push it above 30, even in a truck. 

To be honest, we have a cabin in the daks and the road is very well maintained, but it's dirt. We like the occasional pothole and washboarding as it slows people down with all the kids and people it's not a bad thing so long as it's not ridiculous, everyone should know that a dirt road is going to not be suited for a sports car, yet any car with a little bit of ground clearance should be able to slowly make it up and down the roads, while not turning it into a rally track.

Just my .02 having quite a bit of experience with various dirt roads. 

Like I said I have not hunted a lot of state land so I do not have a lot of experience with it.  just referring to what I have hunted right around the corner from me.  And there is no driving cars, 4 wheelers, etc on the state land. I actually didnt think you were aloud to use motorized vehicles like 4 wheelers on state land. I know 3 rivers has signs all around saying no motorized vehicles allowed so I thought that was the norm. Never thought about the big tracts of state land like you mentioned. 

1 hour ago, boo711 said:

Like I said I have not hunted a lot of state land so I do not have a lot of experience with it.  just referring to what I have hunted right around the corner from me.  And there is no driving cars, 4 wheelers, etc on the state land. I actually didnt think you were aloud to use motorized vehicles like 4 wheelers on state land. I know 3 rivers has signs all around saying no motorized vehicles allowed so I thought that was the norm. Never thought about the big tracts of state land like you mentioned. 

yeah i guess my point was actual roads that intersect the land, not that you could just baja through the wilderness. On that, you and I agree. 

On 12/21/2021 at 6:40 AM, DirtTime said:

I'm not saying it was/is Bill, I'm saying he got pretty upset at what he feels was some of us "chased off a new member". Said new member isn't new, been a member since 2020, changed UN after two posts, and is probably a trolling account. There was another member who blasted the forum like that recently, I just don't remember exactly who it was.

EDIT: I just remembered, it was that Bodhi dude after a few of us stuck up for Bill.

I'm going to react the same way towards anyone who feels a need to blame all the public land woes on deer hunters. Like I said, that pisses me off. If everyone is using those roads then why point a finger at one group? Maybe it was the hikers driving back in, or those ATV riders, or those pesky small game hunters who walk around on public land spraying and praying at small game chasing all the deer away for us bow deer hunters.

Not me dawg.