Ordered a new truck .

Nytracker

The new Prime we bought, I put $23.XK down rather than outright buy with cash. ~$54K OTD, with 1.9% @ 66 mos. with the auto deduction opportunity not available. At 72-84 mos., it went up to 2.49% and the interest over life of loan was more noticeable. If I pay off on schedule, interest comes out to less than $1,700. That is super cheap from a financial POV.

I put a larger down payment into the mix to solely have a lower monthly cost - $480 I think, for $30K. Financing more would have been wiser as noted with the potential to let that money bear interest; however, we're considering getting into the home market with considerations around buying a forever home. I'm fighting that lifestyle creep like whoah, however. The car was a legit purchase. If I can just keep the wife from wanting the forever home, lol, we're golden!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, phade said:

The new Prime we bought, I put $23.XK down rather than outright buy with cash. ~$54K OTD, with 1.9% @ 66 mos. with the auto deduction opportunity not available. At 72-84 mos., it went up to 2.49% and the interest over life of loan was more noticeable. If I pay off on schedule, interest comes out to less than $1,700. That is super cheap from a financial POV.

I put a larger down payment into the mix to solely have a lower monthly cost - $480 I think, for $30K. Financing more would have been wiser as noted with the potential to let that money bear interest; however, we're considering getting into the home market with considerations around buying a forever home. I'm fighting that lifestyle creep like whoah, however. The car was a legit purchase. If I can just keep the wife from wanting the forever home, lol, we're golden!

Like I noted above, I figure my interest and what I would be paying over the life of the loan, and I try to negotiate in extras that I would be otherwise paying with cash anywayy.So in my eyes ,essentially I’m paying no money in interest.

Edited by WNYTRPR

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So I have a decision to make in July. I've always been anti-lease and just bought vehicles. However, in July 2019 I leased a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT. Added in nearly all the options, spray-in bedliner, etc. The MSRP was somewhere around $42K ands the buyout is $26K. I pay $129/month. We only did this since it was our first truck and knew I would stay under the miles and then would buy it outright in July 2022 if we liked it (which we do). If I remember right, I was allowed 31,500 miles total. Thanks to the pandemic and not driving 25 miles/day to/from train, I am around 13K miles. All that being said, I'm getting a steal then to buy this truck in the summer right? I'm paying for a truck with 31K miles but will likely only have 15K miles.

Or because pricing has skyrocketed for used vehicles, do I buy it and sell it right away? just to buy a brand new one?

Thanks all. 

You'd probably get a premium selling the lease rights if your lender allows. That said, you also will end up paying a premium for the replacement if you're in the truck space still.

13K is very low mileage so I would think that thing catches a good premium on the market. I know sometimes it's not much of a dial mover according to dealers and guide books, but that thing has seen barely any action.

If you like the vehicle, it might make sense to just keep on keeping on with it and buy. You likely have a long vehicle lifespan ahead with that truck.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, phade said:

That’s a RAV?

Wow, didn’t know they were that much.   

16 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That’s a RAV?

Wow, didn’t know they were that much.   

Yes, Prime is their PHEV model. Different beast than the regular Rav4.

$1K NY rebate plus $7,500 tax credit. Bit of a racket if you ask me about that. CA has huge rebates.

I've seen a few people show how they bought three Primes in 2021 and leveraged $22.5K in tax credits. It's not a refundable tax credit so you need to have that liability to offset. I'm kind of shocked people can do that, but they are. Rules are somewhat ambiguous on time to own after service date, at least from an enforcement POV. One guy laid out his cost - bought two and sold. Made money on each one, plus the $15K tax credit. Bought the third with another $7,500 tax credit and kept that for himself. Net effect after all said and done was having his personal one almost paid off 50% of the way.

Edited by phade

So I have a decision to make in July. I've always been anti-lease and just bought vehicles. However, in July 2019 I leased a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT. Added in nearly all the options, spray-in bedliner, etc. The MSRP was somewhere around $42K ands the buyout is $26K. I pay $129/month. We only did this since it was our first truck and knew I would stay under the miles and then would buy it outright in July 2022 if we liked it (which we do). If I remember right, I was allowed 31,500 miles total. Thanks to the pandemic and not driving 25 miles/day to/from train, I am around 13K miles. All that being said, I'm getting a steal then to buy this truck in the summer right? I'm paying for a truck with 31K miles but will likely only have 15K miles.

Or because pricing has skyrocketed for used vehicles, do I buy it and sell it right away? just to buy a brand new one?

Thanks all. 

If you sold it, you would still have to buy one though right?  Whatever you made selling you'd just be taking in the rear buying new.  My wife is in almost exactly the same spot with her RAV4, right down to the month.  

• Thanks 1

Again, I understand times are different now. But back in the day getting 10-15% off MSRP with free add ons was commonplace. You pit 3 dealers against each other and let them go to work. It was a blast.

They got tons of people Who don’t negotiate. It’s like new tires- if you don’t ask for free tire rotations after buying new tires you won’t get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Costco includes it free

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

1 hour ago, WNYTRPR said:

In years past ,nobody in their right mind would pay for anything at MSRP .Only this past year ,with a low supply of vehicles ,dealers and customers knew there wasn’t much to haggle on .

Ive went so far as dealing with 3 local dealers and multiple out of state dealers to see what the best price I could come up with .Same with my Tractor ,4wheeler ,even concrete work .In the past 2 years I’ve probably saved 15-20k haggling prices . .Currently,we’re in different times .We’ll see what the future holds.I did pay MSRP on my latest truck .I got way more than what I paid for the one prior ,so I was ok with that .Also had 1.9% interest on 60 months .Along with that I got thrown in an extra set of tires and upgraded running boards .(needed something to cancel out the interest )

I recently bought 4 off road "toys" all cash and none of the dealers would haggle because they were dealers who had something in stock and by the time I was done they already had multiple cash offers for the same thing at sticker. I had to go to 3 different dealers just to piece it together. Today's market for wheeling and dealing sucks balls. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I recently bought 4 off road "toys" all cash and none of the dealers would haggle because they were dealers who had something in stock and by the time I was done they already had multiple cash offers for the same thing at sticker. I had to go to 3 different dealers just to piece it together. Today's market for wheeling and dealing sucks balls. 

I ran into the same when looking at UTVs. Ended up going to county auction and picking up a Kubota for 25% of what I had mentally prepared myself to pay for a new Mule or Ranger. We don't put on alot of hours, and this one has the normal beauty marks, so I was ecstatic. Auctions were something I had not considered before and it was on a whim.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

Maybe you mentioned it previously, what machines did you buy? I recall you mentioning atv’s for the boys I think.

If you don’t want to divulge it, no problem.  Just curious.  

Thanks all. 

yes buying out a lease on a below turn-in mileage truck is a good move right now.

Some things to consider off the top of my head.

• When does the warranty end? By buying it and not leasing a new truck you're going to run out on that at some point and it's good piece of mind for many.
  • Are there any even minor issues that you'd like to be rid of?
  • Is it missing any tech you wish you had?
  • Is the newer version of what you want even available? Mine runs out in the fall and I'm worried my next truck wont even be there for me to pick up.

And finally, what kind of financing can you get on the buy-out? If you can't get a good rate, the extra equity might be chewed up in interest on the loan. Final, final thought. I know some guys buying their leases out, flipping them and then buying or getting a new lease if you can deal with the gap and paperwork. 

25 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

If you sold it, you would still have to buy one though right?  Whatever you made selling you'd just be taking in the rear buying new.  My wife is in almost exactly the same spot with her RAV4, right down to the month.  

not necessarily. Some used trucks are going for more than new right now.

8 minutes ago, phade said:

I ran into the same when looking at UTVs. Ended up going to county auction and picking up a Kubota for 25% of what I had mentally prepared myself to pay for a new Mule or Ranger. We don't put on alot of hours, and this one has the normal beauty marks, so I was ecstatic. Auctions were something I had not considered before and it was on a whim.

man i never would have thought there were even auctions for UTVs haha. That's a great find on your end. 

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

man i never would have thought there were even auctions for UTVs haha. That's a great find on your end. 

Monroe County - it was one of the town/village public works UTVs. They had several JD UTVs too although the Kubota was the only one in size I wanted. Two of the JDs went for less than I thought they would. The third was one of those giant loaded models in a 2019 model year. Wide as a small car practically. That went for some coin.

40 minutes ago, Belo said:

yes buying out a lease on a below turn-in mileage truck is a good move right now.

Some things to consider off the top of my head.

• When does the warranty end? By buying it and not leasing a new truck you're going to run out on that at some point and it's good piece of mind for many.
  • Are there any even minor issues that you'd like to be rid of?
  • Is it missing any tech you wish you had?
  • Is the newer version of what you want even available? Mine runs out in the fall and I'm worried my next truck wont even be there for me to pick up.

And finally, what kind of financing can you get on the buy-out? If you can't get a good rate, the extra equity might be chewed up in interest on the loan. Final, final thought. I know some guys buying their leases out, flipping them and then buying or getting a new lease if you can deal with the gap and paperwork. 

so when I got the truck I got every single option I wanted. Had to wait a few weeks but got it all. You raise a good point though, what's the difference between a 2022 and 2019 ranger? I'm not sure. I should look into it. But I guess everyone agrees, I'm best off just buying it since we like it. Whether we pay all cash or finance it would depend on the term rate choices.

16 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

so when I got the truck I got every single option I wanted. Had to wait a few weeks but got it all. You raise a good point though, what's the difference between a 2022 and 2019 ranger? I'm not sure. I should look into it. But I guess everyone agrees, I'm best off just buying it since we like it. Whether we pay all cash or finance it would depend on the term rate choices.

You may have options on the 19 that won't be available on 22s do to the chip shortage.  Some manufacturers eliminated options that were available on previous models in an attempt to keep up with production. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, farmer 52 said:

Seriously thinking about ordering a new super duty,has anyone ordered or talked to dealers about price,are we paying sticker or is there any kind of discount.

The best deal going right now is the absurdly high trade in values. Incentives aren't in play right now.

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

The best deal going right now is the absurdly high trade in values. Incentives aren't in play right now.

I have checked trade values on my 19,there about 4-5 thousand more than i paid for it.I could probably live with sticker,its actually not much more than I paid for the 19