2021 - 2022 HuntingNY Predator Hunting Kills Thread

Finally made it out of the political thread and into the woods to hunt coyote.

Got this one with the newest XG50 Thermion on the Savage Impulse predator.

Hiked around awhile and saw nothing, but on the way back, I spotted a pair around a pond next to where I parked the van.

That faint vertical line in the video, is the vans antenna.

Lucky I didn't shoot it.

I also hit the tripod leg with my boot as I took the shot, lost but found my call during another stalk and had 6 other small coyote go right past me, while I was searching for the call, as my rifle was resting in the tripod 50 yards away.

https://youtu.be/Xm1u04Ecloo

EZVZ0132.JPG.a0fcf94bbae0b193f34f3069d6dd3e56.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a medium sized female yote Sunday, just after sundown.

It was snowing/hailing and the cover was thick.

By far the worst hunting conditions I've hunted in this year.

The Thermion XG50 and FP X24 call both get a thumbs up.

The coyote have been harassed by deer hunters and were sticking to heavy cover, even at night.

I managed to call two or three in and connected with one of them.

Saw some targets in the far background after the shot, but couldn't tell what they were, so I didn't pull the trigger.

https://youtu.be/dX66z8oNGD8

IMG_1346.thumb.JPG.f2f18fd466aa65fa74650ba3c1279b6e.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Post up pics of your 2021 - 2022 Predator kills here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got out for our Annual Christmas Night hunt... Lots of action but only managed to walk away with a pair of fox from the first set, and a Nice Male Dog from the second set. A pair came in and despite some miscommunication and a dying IR Light.. only one dog was taken. Heard a bunch of coyotes from every set though.. Still enjoy just running the call/scanning for other hunters.. 

Wife became ill and lost my grandfather right before Christmas, so that kept us from getting back out over my 2 week vacation

I live for this night every year..   

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7102.JPG

• Like 11

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couldn't get a bead on these two that were visiting the bait piles at all different hours of the evening and early morning.

We saw them off in the distance a couple of times, but always heading the opposite way.

Last night we headed in right after sunset, the moon was blocked by clouds, the wind was swirling and it was drizzling.

Perfect conditions for not seeing a coyote, but I've never seen one while sitting inside my house either, so there we were.

We split up and I headed to a lower field and my buddy headed to the top field overlooking the bait pile.

Not 5 minutes later, I hear a shot and see a coyote bolting down the field a hundred yards away.

As I watched it going over the crest of the field with my thermal spotter, I was thinking that dog is gone for good, when a few seconds later, it comes running back over the hill !

At first I thought it was one of the deer that were feeding on the other side of the hill, but it was definitely a dog on the move.

I set my rifle on the tripod and was going to try and stop it with a bark, but it suddenly turned into the woods, heading up to my buddy, trying to find his buddy.

10 seconds later a shot rang out and I see that yote crest the hill and pile up.

Wooo Hoooo !

Two big males down for the count.

We were on a dry spell at this spot and this was exactly what we needed to boost our moral and take this pair of cow harassers out for the farmer.

In the background, you can see the yote he shot on 3/6.

1926427625_Coyote320.thumb.jpg.5bde8f4056eb8647dbc710567e70ddbd.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Two down Oct 1st.

First was a female that was harassing a neighbors horses.

The second was a larger male that was harassing a small herd of deer in a hay field.

A good start to the fall predator season with the Halo X50 and Custom Savage Impulse Predator.

IMG_1551.thumb.JPG.3ea0471ac376f12d3069480a2129e58f.JPG

IMG_1558.thumb.JPG.225892626c4379eab356d01b74abf504.JPG

• Like 14

10/8 Pm I dropped this 39lb female @ 279 yards, my furthest kill so far in a long time.

Called a pair in, but they wouldn't come any closer.

Scope battery cap was on loose, so the scope shut down upon recoil and compromised the video and also didn't let me take a shot at the other coyote.

My buddy said it dropped like a rock.

The Halo X50 and Customized Savage Impulse Predator .243 are getting the job done.

Gotta have confidence in your gear, but also make sure your battery cap is tight !

329857820_108Dog.thumb.jpg.70bdc3d73ac734eb7303cc907904f92c.jpg

• Like 7

Another one fell Friday night. Should have been a simultaneous double. Little story since i love getting new hunters involved.  

I brought my boy out and his fairly green horn buddy Charlie. Who has yet to harvest anything, missed a few deer last year and one this year. But hes trying..

Saw what i thought was a coyote as we approached the field. I set the call out and Hit some rodent squeaks as i walked back to them. By the time i got bakc to them, made sure Charloe was ready, I scanned and theres a pair of yotes, 60 yards. It went picture perfect, standing side by side. But Charlie could not find the coyotes in the scope (first night ever night hunting) and Cole my boy had them in his crosshairs ready to fire.. I very quickly with minimal movement tried getting Charlie on them but they caught movement and started to get out. I told them whoever gets on them, when I bark and they stop, shoot. I'm not a fan of educating them lol. Charlie still couldnt find them in his scope so Cole took one and dropped it where it stood with his 22-250. Ended up calling the other back in 5 minutes later but just as the cross hairs were on the coyote she got out of there probably from seeing us scrambling for a shot. And they were right on top of a knoll in the field so after 75 yards it was out of sight.. Felt Bad Charlie couldnt get a shot but it happened so damn fast, they went from 300 to 60 yards in a minute.. Caught us by surprise..

Called one in on set #2 but it wouldn't come closer than 300.. 

Set 3  was a dud.. Got to hear some really cool Owl vocals with several going wild across the countryside.. Kids wanted to go to be now at 2am to get up at 5am for a morning bowhunt. 

IMG_1641.jpg

• Like 2