The New Holiday Season

Five Seasons

The New Holiday Season  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts now that it's near?

• I like the extra week and I'll be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week, but I'll be hunting
    • I like the extra week, but I won't be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week and I won't be hunting
    • I don't even hunt deer, but I need to answer this poll!

Good informational poll! Be interesting to see what others think about the "Holiday Hunt"!

I like it myself. And would love to get out there! But due to a medical issue, I barely got through the regular season. I'm following the doc's orders now, and taking it easy.

I kind of think there is a better way of thinning the deer heard  rather than adding another week to hunt . 

Full inclusion for crossbows . 

A progressive season ...

2 weeks of bow  then its 2 weeks of crossbow.  Then a 2 week muzzloader... since everyone knows crossbows are crossguns  you can use a crossbow through the muzzleloader  season .. as you have to purchase a muzzloader tag to hunt  with a crossbow . Then 2 weeks rifle. Then a true primitive season long bow no sights..  Flint napped broadbheads  cedar  arrows musket patched round ball.

• Like 1

I like it.  I am off from work that week and my son is off from school so it gives us a chance to go out weather permitting.  However, I do think it would have been better if they eliminated the 9 day ML season right after the regular season.  These modern day inline ML's are quite capable and I don't know if it's a good idea to have another 7 days of ML season added to the original 9. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I'm off so I'll give it a go at least 2-3 times and really shooting for a sit in 1/1/22.....kinda cool to say you hunted deer the first day of the new year....and even cooler to kill one.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Same, and with the kids off of school they can tag along as well. My 1/1/22 hunt might have to be a evening hunt. We will have guests over for new years eve and I suspect a very late night and a hungover morning. 

I don’t like that it’s pushing my ability to night hunt with rifles in some of my spots until after New Years. 

im planning to get out in the woods for the holiday hunt a time or two though. It would be great if I could actually put a deer on the ground for the first time in a couple of seasons. 

• Like 5

I’m looking forward to a bit of time off and letting the deer get back to a more normal routine. That plus some cold and snow would help a lot. Oh, and the corn to my south is finally being cut as I type this. Another plus. 
Good for younger hunters who have that week off. 

I am really looking forward to it.  I probably wouldn’t be, if I hadn’t finally broken a long slump with my in-line ML, during the early ML season up north this year.   Also, I still have a buck tag.  Antlerless  deer get pretty sparse in my two local spots after October 1.  

I am planning on hitting it pretty hard, because I have 5 of those 7  days off of work and I only had to use one vacation day.  I don’t know if I will do an all day sit, but there is a good chance that I could make 10 morning and evening hunts.  

The January 1st hunt(s) excite me the most.  This is a great excuse to take it easy at this years New Years party (unless by some miracle I can punch all 4 of my remaining tags prior to that).

I would be very thankful for just one more deer.  We have enough meat in the freezers for about a year and a half now, but I have some extended family members and friends who I would like to give some more to. 

My grandpa’s old grinder kicked az, on the one deer that I put thru it after replacing the knife and screen with new ones this year.  I’d rather not wait 10 months to use it again.

9BA3B144-2C42-4046-9E99-DC179F336386.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Freeze is full, so any additional will be a bonus, but I am sitting on my either sex bow/muzzle tag, as well as a DMP.

I've hunted muzzle loader season the past 10+ years.   This year I only got out 2 times, so the extra 2 weekends (well, actually 1 day of each weekend) will be nice.   

I do have to work during the week, so I'll be limited to hunting only a few hours at the beginning or end of the day Mon-Thurs if I burn some leave time from work.   

I think it’s great in any areas not hit by EHD as the deer populations in most areas can surely support it.
Two concerns. Bucks getting taken that shed already but it is what it is.
And in a year of deep and heavy snow it would add a lot of stress. This year that is of no concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

I will be out because if season is open, and time available,  why not.

I can not answer if I like it or not. As of now, not sure how I feel about it.

Can’t believe people need another week to get meat after the amount of time already allowed.  But their land so do as they see fit I guess.  

• Like 2

My opinion, unnecessary. Season is abundantly long as it is. And yes, I'd still be saying the same if I hadn't killed a deer yet. If you can't make it happen in the 10 weeks that you've had already, better luck next year. We can't keep extending seasons to cater to the minority that can't fill tags In the already generous season.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Can’t believe people need another week to get meat after the amount of time already allowed.  But their land so do as they see fit I guess.  

Yep, I clearly suck as a hunter as from October 1st to now I’ve only been able to get one deer for meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

If it was all about getting meat, or antlers I would just use a spotlight around 11 pm in the nearby fields. 

For me it will be a little more.  More time scouting for next year, more time with my father who may not be around for many more seasons, more time passing on the process of hunting with future generations. More stories to tell and hear, again.

And mabe a new tradition of hunting after Christmas,  guess we will see how I feel about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

People have many reasons of why they may not have filled a tag yet .Could be work,a death ,who knows really .I’m happy for anyone with a tag that goes out and scores during that time .
Some people also don’t have the best hunting spots that have high volumes of deer movement such as farms with food plots scattered throughout.

I left a tag specifically in hopes this hunt would happen .It’s something different.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

My opinion, unnecessary. Season is abundantly long as it is. And yes, I'd still be saying the same if I hadn't killed a deer yet. If you can't make it happen in the 10 weeks that you've had already, better luck next year. We can't keep extending seasons to cater to the minority that can't fill tags In the already generous season.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Exactly. Cant tell me there is an over abundance of deer in all the areas that have been open now for months on end.        And if there is an over abundance of deer what is that saying about the hunters that have already had months on end to get what they need?  Catch 22 maybe.  

• Like 2

Honestly I could go either way on this.usually by the time regular season ends I've had enough.i usually sneak out for a few red squirrel-crow-fox hunts after deer season newho just to get some woods time.being that it's an option I still may sneak out with the bow to give it a go.have 2 buck tags and a doe tag left,can't hurt