The New Holiday Season

Five Seasons

The New Holiday Season  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts now that it's near?

• I like the extra week and I'll be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week, but I'll be hunting
    • I like the extra week, but I won't be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week and I won't be hunting
    • I don't even hunt deer, but I need to answer this poll!

8 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Can’t believe people need another week to get meat after the amount of time already allowed.  But their land so do as they see fit I guess.  

I could have taken a doe several times yesterday afternoon. And had multiple chances over the last few days. Was holding out for a buck, but thought I’d save the doe tag for the holiday hunt.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Can’t believe people need another week to get meat after the amount of time already allowed.  But their land so do as they see fit I guess.  

8 hours ago, chrisw said:

My opinion, unnecessary. Season is abundantly long as it is. And yes, I'd still be saying the same if I hadn't killed a deer yet. If you can't make it happen in the 10 weeks that you've had already, better luck next year. We can't keep extending seasons to cater to the minority that can't fill tags In the already generous season.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Guess some of us are not as good of a hunter as you guys. Sure glad we have superior outdoors men as yourself on here . 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Guess some of us are not as good of a hunter as you guys. Sure glad we have superior outdoors men as yourself on here . 
Quit making it a "poor me" conversation. If you can't kill deer in the 10 week season then what is another few days going to do? Should we let the unsuccessful hunters continue hunting until they finally get one? Where does it end? Not all hunters are going to get a deer, you don't get participation trophies in this sport...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Quit making it a "poor me" conversation. If you can't kill deer in the 10 week season then what is another few days going to do? Should we let the unsuccessful hunters continue hunting until they finally get one? Where does it end? Not all hunters are going to get a deer, you don't get participation trophies in this sport...

Oh I’m not making it a poor me conversation , as this is not my first year not tagging a deer. It’s called hunting and not shooting deer season, I had encounters with deer this year but as we all know sometimes the puzzle pieces don’t go together and we can’t make it happen.
(What good will a few more days do ? ) Well some guys do not or cannot not get time to hunt as often as they want. So just because you made it out a bunch of days maybe others have not . 

( Should  we let unsuccessful hunters continue to hunt till they get one ?) Again sometimes things just don’t work out and or some have limited days , so why not ? If you don’t want to utilize the extended season then don’t.

(And as for a participation trophy ) just being  a member on here with some outstanding hunters is enough for me . 

Oh and just fyi , if I had filled my tags I’d still be saying the same thing. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

I didn't think it was a race. I like being out. It's another week of doing so. I never knew this would make me a bad hunter.
10 weeks is hardly a race. I never said anyone is a bad hunter. I merely insinuated that 10 weeks is a generous season already and the unsuccessful hunters are just that. Not everyone is successful, that's life. This is a thread on opinion, and that's mine. You don't have to like it, that's the beauty of opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think people forget that this Holiday hunt is being promoted as a week where family members can get together to hunt.  Kids are off from school and family members typically get together for the holidays so this is a perfect opportunity to go out and hunt a bit if they so choose.  I know for myself my workplace closes for the week between Christmas and New Year and my son is off from school.  My uncle is retired so all three of us are planning to get together for a hunt.  This will be the first time all three of us are hunting together.  Three generations of hunters in the family going out on a hunt so what is wrong with that??

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, chrisw said:

10 weeks is hardly a race. I never said anyone is a bad hunter. I merely insinuated that 10 weeks is a generous season already and the unsuccessful hunters are just that. Not everyone is successful, that's life. This is a thread on opinion, and that's mine. You don't have to like it, that's the beauty of opinion.

I can respect your opinion but I may have done poorly making my point. I wasn’t commenting on being unsuccessful vs successful. I was pointing out that it’s nice to have more opportunities to go be successful or not.
For the whole regular season, I didn’t hunt after opening day as I shot a buck on that Saturday. I’m happy to go spend another week in the woods. The more, the better. I still have the same amount of tags to fill whether I filled them 10 weeks ago or on January 1st, 2022. 

• Like 4

I can respect your opinion but I may have done poorly making my point. I wasn’t commenting on being unsuccessful vs successful. I was pointing out that it’s nice to have more opportunities to go be successful or not.
For the whole regular season, I didn’t hunt after opening day as I shot a buck on that Saturday. I’m happy to go spend another week in the woods. The more, the better. I still have the same amount of tags to fill whether I filled them 10 weeks ago or on January 1st, 2022. 
If it works out to benefit you then by all means utilize it. I'm not begrudging anyone from wanting to hunt it. I guess I'm looking at it from more of a "I don't like that we just keep adding more and more implements and season lengths" side of things. I'm concerned where it ends. I'm concerned when is "enough"? Im concerned that as sportsmen we are losing sight of the end goal of a healthy herd for the sake of filling as many tags as we can for as long as we can, with little regard of what's best for the deer.

• Like 1

Another poor management decision the NYDEC. After a 4 week gun season in the southern zone, that has a week long muzzleloader gun season following ....hey lets add another week and give them a much needed four day break. That should help us climb out of having the worst fawn recruitment rate in the northeast and about half of what it is mid west.
The thing is the DEC can get away with it because they can count on the Ignorance and greed of lot NY state hunters. Unfortunately as bad as The NYs Dec deer management is it pales in comparison to NY states hunting culture.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Another poor management decision the NYDEC. After a 4 week gun season in the southern zone, that has week muzzleloader gun season following ....hey lets add another week. With four day break. That should help us climb out of having the worst fawn recruitment rate in the northeast and about half of what it is mid west.
The thing is the DEC can away with it because they can count on Ignorance and greed of lot NY state hunters. Unfortunately as bad as The NYs Dec deer management is it pales in comparison to NY states hunting culture.

I think having so many small game seasons open would be just as hard or harder on the herd.  As small game hunters seem to move around a lot more and cover more ground than deer hunters and the seasons go to the end of February. Seems like hiking, small game hunting along with a lot of other uses of people properties would bump the herd around more than hunting deer for a few more days. These are just my thoughts and I could be viewing it wrongly as a tree stand based hunter with my primary hunting property only being 15 acres and only having myself on it for 8 hunting and 2 none hunting days to put in a small food plot this year. What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

The DEC doesn’t care if it takes someone 20 weeks to kill a deer,they want to give every chance for more harvest.We’re doing their job .

They say things can change in a second ,well I hope this season does for as many as possible.

maybe it comes down to guys worried about someone shooting their antlerless trophy buck thinking it was a doe ?

Either way ,their tags .Who cares if they fill it 10 weeks ago or next week .

The DEC doesn’t care if it takes someone 20 weeks to kill a deer,they want to give every chance for more harvest.We’re doing their job .
They say things can change in a second ,well I hope this season does for as many as possible.
maybe it comes down to guys worried about someone shooting their antlerless trophy buck thinking it was a doe ?
Either way ,their tags .Who cares if they fill it 10 weeks ago or next week .

By your logic than they shouldn’t be any season at all. Give the nimrods the tags and tell them they have all year to fill them.
  • Like 1

I think having so many small game seasons open would be just as hard or harder on the herd.  As small game hunters seem to move around a lot more and cover more ground than deer hunters and the seasons go to the end of February. Seems like hiking, small game hunting along with a lot of other uses of people properties would bump the herd around more than hunting deer for a few more days. These are just my thoughts and I could be viewing it wrongly as a tree stand based hunter with my primary hunting property only being 15 acres and only having myself on it for 8 hunting and 2 none hunting days to put in a small food plot this year. What are your thoughts?

To some extent I agree. I think that most types of intrusion has some type of affect however I think The degrees vary. For example a farmer driving his truck or a tractor around the farm doing farm work is nowhere near the same effect as a Hunter driving his side-by-side into an area and then hunting. Another example you’ll see in some urban settings, watch deer react to people walking on trails hiking trails dog trails bike trails etc. they they have a little reaction yet go hunt deer in Those same areas and see how their reaction and behavior changes

Specifically in regards to small game hunting around my area it’s all but dead .
The amount of small game hunting compared to deer hunting that goes on is minuscule. However I’m sure that varies by the areas, so your location it might be different. For example I have a piece of property it’s not very big it’s only 140 acres and I rarely if ever hunt it anymore. Other than put my cameras out I may go on it five times a year. Almost every year I either get pictures of a Deer Hunter trespassing or I get a report from a friend or neighbor who encountered a trespasser. In all the years I’ve had it I have yet to have any small game hunters trespassing on the property that I know of and yet it has fantastic cover for rabbits Grouse and squirrel. Again reiterating my point I also think that it has a different effect on deer the actually hunting them. Running Rabbits thickets, shooting geese in a field Are going effect way differently than actual deer hunting.

By the way I appreciate the thoughtful response and discussion

3 hours ago, steve863 said:

You got that right!  They are legends in their own minds!!  LOL

Sorry bub but if you or anyone really really need 3 months to get a family supply of venison in Ny state you really should hook up with someone a little better for some pointers. Don’t cry about weekend warriors either. That’s a choice. 

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

So you think it’s healthy for a Whitetail herd to be harassed for another week for hunter enjoyment?  When does it end?   They say they want more deer takin yet they send….Let’s admit…The less skilled/Successful hunters back into the woods with the least successful weapons and the hardest time of year on the deer to go ahead and give it another shot?  That’s Sad!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisw said:

My opinion, unnecessary. Season is abundantly long as it is. And yes, I'd still be saying the same if I hadn't killed a deer yet. If you can't make it happen in the 10 weeks that you've had already, better luck next year. We can't keep extending seasons to cater to the minority that can't fill tags In the already generous season.

Forgive me because I am new to this so maybe I will sound ignorant on the matter. I thought the whole reason for the longer season is to reduce the number of deer even further than normal as there is an abundance. From what I was reading, DEC does a pretty good job at heard management and a lot of time/research goes into determining the length of a season. 

If this is truly then case then why am I seeing so many others who are against this?

Edited by heavuser

Sorry bub but if you or anyone really really need 3 months to get a family supply of venison in Ny state you really should hook up with someone a little better for some pointers. Don’t cry about weekend warriors either. That’s a choice. 

Its not the Bering Sea with a crab quota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, heavuser said:

Forgive me because I am new to this so maybe I will sound ignorant on the matter. I thought the whole reason for the longer season is to reduce the number of deer even further than normal as there is an abundance. From what I was reading, DEC does a pretty good job at heard management and a lot of time/research goes into getting the determining the length of a season. 

If this is truly then case then why am I seeing so many others who are against this?

Ask yourself this question… How has your last 6-8-10 weeks of hunting went?  Do you need more time?  If so why?   If your herd is there in great shape and management done what’s the problem of not filling your tags in the huge amount of time already handed out?  

7 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Whatever that’s supposed to mean. Fact is if a person really needs more time in this so called deer rich state then there’s a problem in the equation somewhere. 

Maybe that problem is their job. Or a family situation. Or who cares? And youre calling being a weekend warrior "self-inflicted" is pretty ignorant. Should we all resign from our jobs?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Who said anything about needing more time to kill a deer?  Did you read my other post where I stated that this Holiday hunt is giving my family a chance to get together and hunt during the holiday week when we are all off and able to??  Probably not.  This is what this extra week is being given to us for.  You and a few others here only see big antlers in front of your eyes and can't ever imagine that there is more to hunting and the hunting tradition.  Your loss, bub.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Ask yourself this question… How has your last 6-8-10 weeks of hunting went?  Do you need more time?  If so why?   If your herd is there in great shape and management done what’s the problem of not filling your tags in the huge amount of time already handed out?  

DEC determines if the herd is in great shape, no? My opinion on the matter is mute. If DEC extended the season there is a logical reason for it. Or do I just not know how DEC works?

• Haha 1