The New Holiday Season

Five Seasons

The New Holiday Season  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts now that it's near?

• I like the extra week and I'll be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week, but I'll be hunting
    • I like the extra week, but I won't be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week and I won't be hunting
    • I don't even hunt deer, but I need to answer this poll!

Well, unlike most years, last season and this season, I have not had much opportunity to get out and hunt. I consider myself a pretty decent hunter, and it hasn’t been a lack of skill, know how or anything like that, just a lack of time. 100% my issue. 

Like I said before, I’ll go out a time or two, as I have some time off for the holidays, but I’d really rather be predator hunting at this time, and I don’t like to do it during open deer seasons, as I feel I’m putting unnecessary pressure on the areas I hunt. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Maybe that problem is their job. Or a family situation. Or who cares? And youre calling being a weekend warrior "self-inflicted" is pretty ignorant. Should we all resign from our jobs?

Please. Everyone I know works 40 plus and are not weekend warriors and fill their freezers just fine. That’s a choice for many. 

26 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Who said anything about needing more time to kill a deer?  Did you read my other post where I stated that this Holiday hunt is giving my family a chance to get together and hunt during the holiday week when we are all off and able to??  Probably not.  This is what this extra week is being given to us for.  You and a few others here only see big antlers in front of your eyes and can't ever imagine that there is more to hunting and the hunting tradition.  Your loss, bub.

More typical BS. The 3 ladies sitting next to that 189lbs buck would tell a different story. In a real state that cared about the deer herd they would not allow people to chase them around for months at a time. Regardless of their hunting fortitude. 

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Well, unlike most years, last season and this season, I have not had much opportunity to get out and hunt. I consider myself a pretty decent hunter, and it hasn’t been a lack of skill, know how or anything like that, just a lack of time. 100% my issue. 

Like I said before, I’ll go out a time or two, as I have some time off for the holidays, but I’d really rather be predator hunting at this time, and I don’t like to do it during open deer seasons, as I feel I’m putting unnecessary pressure on the areas I hunt. 

Great post. Your Issue. Which is for most if they would admit it. If they hunted all the time they had and didn’t get it done they either need lessons or another place to hunt. Period. 

17 minutes ago, heavuser said:

DEC determines if the herd is in great shape, no? My opinion on the matter is mute. If DEC extended the season there is a logical reason for it. Or do I just not know how DEC works?

Sorry but that’s pretty weak. Do you not determine your own hunting?  Say DEC says you need more deer killed in your hunting area and you saw 5 deer all year?  And your all in with that because they say so?             It’s obvious your either not from Ny or your very young. Either way… You will learn. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

More typical BS. The 3 ladies sitting next to that 189lbs buck would tell a different story. In a real state that cared about the deer herd they would not allow people to chase them around for months at a time. Regardless of their hunting fortitude. 

The only one spewing BS here is YOU I'm afraid.  And the BS gets deeper with every post you make.  But hey, we've all seen it from you before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Sorry but that’s pretty weak. Do you not determine your own hunting?  Say DEC says you need more deer killed in your hunting area and you saw 5 deer all year?  And your all in with that because they say so?             It’s obvious your either not from Ny or your very young. Either way… You will learn. 

Just because you see 5 deer all season ,does not mean they are not there .That logic is flawed .

• Like 1

I don't know if i will get out or not but i like the idea of a late season. You guys complaining about the deer heard, not all guys fill all their tags. I can't remember the last time i shot a doe but i have a tag. I filled my either sex tag with my crossbow on a nice buck before rifle. I have been out every weekend since then. I let several small bucks and doe walk. Hunting isn't all about killing deer. Its being in the woods, hunting with family and friends, watching the sun come up, seeing something cool like a bobcat, fox or black squirrel. If i get another day or two doing that, I'll take it. Especially since there isn't any snow for snowmobiling yet....

• Like 4

Wonder how many bucks will be mistaken for Does with horns falling off early? Hopefully not many I know its still early. I don't mind the extra time. My brother and I have 4 in the freezer don't need another one. I would use the time to scout and maybe shoot a bear. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 46rkl said:

I’m looking forward to a bit of time off and letting the deer get back to a more normal routine. That plus some cold and snow would help a lot. Oh, and the corn to my south is finally being cut as I type this. Another plus. 
Good for younger hunters who have that week off. 

I would have been ok if they kept and added this as a youth/new hunter week or even moved the youth hunt to this, although I know that wouldn't happen.

Would be great that if you could hunt this weekend if you were under 18 or the first 3 years post education class regardless of age. 

I could get behind that.

• Like 3

Just now, Belo said:

I would have been ok if they kept and added this as a youth/new hunter week or even moved the youth hunt to this, although I know that wouldn't happen.

Would be great that if you could hunt this weekend if you were under 18 or the first 3 years post education class regardless of age. 

I could get behind that.

That would have been a nice way to do it. 

• Like 1

This place is a perfect example of New York’s greedy ignorant hunting culture. For the most part all you read is me, me, me …it’s good for me.

What you don’t hear often enough is hunters advocating for the Deer and long term health of the herd. What you don’t hear is hunters actually thinking about the repercussions of their actions. If it’s legal it’s then it’s okay in their book. There are deer hunters that wouldn’t think twice if they shot the last deer in the forest if they were given a tag for it.
It’s pretty sad.

• Like 2

Between gun & bow and a total of 66 outings I personally have had enough of deer hunting but will probably be out during the late season weather permitting and I am in the mood.

Since I don't own a muzzleloader or x-bow I will be using my compound if I get out. I had a number of opportunities to "kill" a deer that I passed on or didn't feel comfortable taking the shot.

It wouldn't break my heart if there wasn't a "holiday late season" and I would be content with the small one I did harvest but if I can get another, I would be happy taking it would be considered a bonus.

The deer population in this area has not been hurt and could still use some thinning.

Like others I would rather be doing other hunting or maybe some trapping which I can still do. It is nice to have the option to deer hunt, but it wouldn't make a big difference to me if it wasn't open.

Deer hunting is not the limit of my enjoyment in the outdoors.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Lot of guys cant wait for the end of deer season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

you know... there's some truth to this. It's a long grind. Yes I realize that many say "just don't hunt it". But some of us hardcore guys can't control ourselves if the season is open we will hunt it. Self control is a bitch haha

3 hours ago, steve863 said:

I think people forget that this Holiday hunt is being promoted as a week where family members can get together to hunt.  Kids are off from school and family members typically get together for the holidays so this is a perfect opportunity to go out and hunt a bit if they so choose.  I know for myself my workplace closes for the week between Christmas and New Year and my son is off from school.  My uncle is retired so all three of us are planning to get together for a hunt.  This will be the first time all three of us are hunting together.  Three generations of hunters in the family going out on a hunt so what is wrong with that??

that's well said.

I think a better compromise would have been to remove the current mz season then and shift it to this week. Same amount of time in the woods as we've always had (and I agree with the chris that it's super generous as is), but shifts the timing to a week that works better for many.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisw said:

If it works out to benefit you then by all means utilize it. I'm not begrudging anyone from wanting to hunt it. I guess I'm looking at it from more of a "I don't like that we just keep adding more and more implements and season lengths" side of things. I'm concerned where it ends. I'm concerned when is "enough"? Im concerned that as sportsmen we are losing sight of the end goal of a healthy herd for the sake of filling as many tags as we can for as long as we can, with little regard of what's best for the deer.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

some people forget that they added a week of f'n gun in september to many WMU's this year too. GUN IN SEPTEMBER!!!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Just because you see 5 deer all season ,does not mean they are not there .That logic is flawed .

There you have it. So a hunter does not get it done because they don’t have what it takes to see them so let’s throw a few more weeks at them and pressure the whole system even more. With the flawed logic of sending poor hunters out with a couple of the weakest weapons we hunt with with the thinking from the DEC that they want more deer killed.  That my friend is what’s flawed. 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

that's well said.

I think a better compromise would have been to remove the current mz season then and shift it to this week. Same amount of time in the woods as we've always had (and I agree with the chris that it's super generous as is), but shifts the timing to a week that works better for many.

Your right to a point. Some use family as his want to hunt.  Well every other season is open besides Whitetails.