The New Holiday Season

Five Seasons

The New Holiday Season  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts now that it's near?

• I like the extra week and I'll be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week, but I'll be hunting
    • I like the extra week, but I won't be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week and I won't be hunting
    • I don't even hunt deer, but I need to answer this poll!

2 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

I think having so many small game seasons open would be just as hard or harder on the herd.  As small game hunters seem to move around a lot more and cover more ground than deer hunters and the seasons go to the end of February. Seems like hiking, small game hunting along with a lot of other uses of people properties would bump the herd around more than hunting deer for a few more days. These are just my thoughts and I could be viewing it wrongly as a tree stand based hunter with my primary hunting property only being 15 acres and only having myself on it for 8 hunting and 2 none hunting days to put in a small food plot this year. What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

To some extent I agree. I think that most types of intrusion has some type of affect however I think The degrees vary. For example a farmer driving his truck or a tractor around the farm doing farm work is nowhere near the same effect as a Hunter driving his side-by-side into an area and then hunting. Another example you’ll see in some urban settings, watch deer react to people walking on trails hiking trails dog trails bike trails etc. they they have a little reaction yet go hunt deer in Those same areas and see how their reaction and behavior changes

Specifically in regards to small game hunting around my area it’s all but dead .
The amount of small game hunting compared to deer hunting that goes on is minuscule. However I’m sure that varies by the areas, so your location it might be different. For example I have a piece of property it’s not very big it’s only 140 acres and I rarely if ever hunt it anymore. Other than put my cameras out I may go on it five times a year. Almost every year I either get pictures of a Deer Hunter trespassing or I get a report from a friend or neighbor who encountered a trespasser. In all the years I’ve had it I have yet to have any small game hunters trespassing on the property that I know of and yet it has fantastic cover for rabbits Grouse and squirrel. Again reiterating my point I also think that it has a different effect on deer the actually hunting them. Running Rabbits thickets, shooting geese in a field Are going effect way differently than actual deer hunting.

By the way I appreciate the thoughtful response and discussion

The Elk population is getting crushed out west in states like colorado right now. Studies are showing, especially since covid that more and more people are entering the woods for recreation and also shed hunters are bumping the deer that are already stressed from cold and lack of food in late winter/early spring and adding stress to the herds that they can't absorb. Not sure how it affects whitetails. 

26 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I don't know if i will get out or not but i like the idea of a late season. You guys complaining about the deer heard, not all guys fill all their tags. I can't remember the last time i shot a doe but i have a tag. I filled my either sex tag with my crossbow on a nice buck before rifle. I have been out every weekend since then. I let several small bucks and doe walk. Hunting isn't all about killing deer. Its being in the woods, hunting with family and friends, watching the sun come up, seeing something cool like a bobcat, fox or black squirrel. If i get another day or two doing that, I'll take it. Especially since there isn't any snow for snowmobiling yet....

Are Whitetails the only season open for you to enjoy all of the above???

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

that's well said.

I think a better compromise would have been to remove the current mz season then and shift it to this week. Same amount of time in the woods as we've always had (and I agree with the chris that it's super generous as is), but shifts the timing to a week that works better for many.

I would agree.  I also think it would have been better to remove the ML season right after the regular season, but it is what it is.  Maybe they might eliminate it in the future, we'll just have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, ApexerER said:

They are the only thing i hunt besides Turkey in the spring....

One does not need a gun to enjoy all the sights and sounds of the woods. Actually hearing that does get kinda old from some. Oh I do it for the enjoyment of the woods and such yet never see a wood lot for 9 months of the year. 

17 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Ahhh.  The truth takes you once again. You will be fine. If you need meat just holler. 

And Merry Christmas to you FSW!!!   Some of us think that you probably didn't make Santa's "good" list again this year so make sure you chain up those penned deer of yours so that the jolly old man in the red coat doesn't steal one or two from you.  I hear that Rudy, Donner and Blitzen put in for retirement so he may be looking for a few new bucks to pull his sleigh.    LOL

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

I know you're an educated outdoorsman and that you know there is no way to answer that question right now. In fact, the answer to the study might not be for another 5 years or so.

Ill go with and imo,not any worse than the amount of deer that are killed on nuisance tags all summer .Around me ,it’s a lot .Then ,add the roadkills all year too .I see the same deer numbers year after year .Assuming you were talking about deer herd numbers ?

I don’t think people realize how many deer are hunted all summer on nuisance tags .at least in WNY.So for the guys who worry about deer pressure ,you’re forgetting the all summer hunt also .Been there,done it .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I would agree.  I also think it would have been better to remove the ML season right after the regular season, but it is what it is.  Maybe they might eliminate it in the future, we'll just have to wait and see.

the day ny eliminates a season that isn't bear or trapping will be when unicorns come back and fart rainbows that cure cancer

22 minutes ago, steve863 said:

And Merry Christmas to you FSW!!!   Some of us think that you probably didn't make Santa's "good" list again this year so make sure you chain up those penned deer of yours so that the jolly old man in the red coat doesn't steal one or two from you.  I hear that Rudy, Donner and Blitzen put in for retirement so he may be looking for a few new bucks to pull his sleigh.    LOL

Easy now. I do more for the common folk then anyone else I know. And Santa better have deep pockets. That size will bring a cool 6-7 grand easy.    But I would give him a package discount. 

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

i'd push back on this a little. I love squirrel and rabbit hunting. But I would never go out there next week and small game hunt and risk pushing deer to others. 

True That.  But to use deer as the only excuse to get out and get whatever one needs out of woods experience is weak at best. 

• Like 1

Ill go with and imo,not any worse than the amount of deer that are killed on nuisance tags all summer .Around me ,it’s a lot .Then ,add the roadkills all year too .I see the same deer numbers year after year .Assuming you were talking about deer herd numbers ?
I don’t think people realize how many deer are hunted all summer on nuisance tags .at least in WNY.So for the guys who worry about deer pressure ,you’re forgetting the all summer hunt also .Been there,done it .

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/2020deerrpt.pdf

Actually those numbers are printed every single year and they’re published for public consumption.
Go to page 18. maybe after reading it you could stop exaggerating

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Ask yourself this question… How has your last 6-8-10 weeks of hunting went?  Do you need more time?  If so why?   If your herd is there in great shape and management done what’s the problem of not filling your tags in the huge amount of time already handed out?  

You're making a lot of assumptions. Many don't have private property or private herds to manage for that matter. For many of us this year has been a never ending wave of more work and more business to deal with – with reduced resources. For me, keeping up with work and ongoing family issues has cause me to miss all but a couple of days in the woods this year. For those with young families it can be a real challenge getting out on a weekend, a friend of mine has three kids all in sports and everything else you can imagine and he is lucky to get out for a morning hunt every other weekend.

Maybe I'll go out next week, maybe not, but if I do, its not going to add one bit of additional stress on the herd, as was mentioned earlier, than if I went out to shoot squirrels or ride the ATV around for an hour, maybe on other properties it is different, I don't know.  I think the new season is a good thing though, if one doesn't want to take advantage of it, then don't. Let the deer rest if they need it where you hunt, but there is no reason to belittle those who don't place killing a deer above all of life's other pastimes, passions or responsibilities, or mock those who aren't as fortunate when it comes to land access, herd quality, free time, hunting skill or anything else for that matter. 

Edited by Don_C
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Actually those numbers are printed every single year and they’re published for public consumption.

What’s your point ,over all ,deer numbers and harvest are up .1800 deer taken on nuisance tags in region 9 ,that’s a good number .More deer now then in the 80s and 90s with less hunters .I Dont think a week of early gun season is detrimental to the herd.I’m looking at the same data the Biologist are looking at .So tell me how I’m exaggerating anything ?

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

One does not need a gun to enjoy all the sights and sounds of the woods. Actually hearing that does get kinda old from some. Oh I do it for the enjoyment of the woods and such yet never see a wood lot for 9 months of the year. 

You are correct. I don't go sit in a treestand without a weapon. Doesn't mean i don't enjoy the woods. Who hunts and doesn't enjoy the woods? 

What’s your point ,over all ,deer numbers and harvest are up .1800 deer taken on nuisance tags in region 9 ,that’s a good number .More deer now then in the 80s and 90s with less hunters .I Dont think a week of early gun season is detrimental to the herd.I’m looking at the same data the Biologist are looking at .So tell me how I’m exaggerating anything ?

Your making bull shit exaggerations the deer are being hunted all year round already. With the inference that are adding another season is un impactful.
The truth is you do not know what the impact is. Generally speaking to one would want it error on the side of prudence when you’re dealing with an unknown. But that not way it plays out in NY.
It’s shoot first and figure it out later, well maybe.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

haha that's crazy. 108k does killed via dmp and just under 5k killed by dmap's. Yeah 4%, that's significant lol

24 minutes ago, Don_C said:

You're making a lot of assumptions. Many don't have private property or private herds to manage for that matter. For many of us this year has been a never ending wave of more work and more business to deal with – with reduced resources. For me, keeping up with work and ongoing family issues has cause me to miss all but a couple of days in the woods this year. For those with young families it can be a real challenge getting out on a weekend, a friend of mine has three kids all in sports and everything else you can imagine and he is lucky to get out for a morning hunt every other weekend.

Maybe I'll go out next week, maybe not, but if I do, its not going to add one bit of additional stress on the herd, as was mentioned earlier, than if I went out to shoot squirrels or ride the ATV around for an hour, maybe on other properties it is different, I don't know.  I think the new season is a good thing though, if one doesn't want to take advantage of it, then don't. Let the deer rest if they need it where you hunt, but there is no reason to belittle those who don't place killing a deer above all of life's other pastimes, passions or responsibilities, or mock those who aren't as fortunate when it comes to land access, herd quality, free time, hunting skill or anything else for that matter. 

I have 3 kids, all in sports. I coach baseball and I'm on the board for the football league. I'm an executive for a fortune 500 company and I make it out to the woods. As much as I used to? Hell no, but I get out and I punch tags... some nice ones at that.

I don't say this for any other reason than to say that I prioritize hunting. I go to bed early on a weekend without booze so I can get up and hunt. I take vacation in the fall instead of the summer. I may work late on some days so that I can take a half day on others. But yes I've missed mornings because of games. I missed just about all of muzzleloader for a work trip. It happens.

No 2 situations are alike, but if you have your priorities in order, there is no reason you can't get time in the woods excluding health or family issues. If you prioritize a few beers, a night out to eat with the wife, going to church sunday morning or staying up late to watch a game that is perfectly fine, but that is your choice where you place hunting on the list. 

11 minutes ago, phade said:

You guys are already in off-season forum form!

Congrats! I think.

technically it is the off season lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’m curious, who here is a wildlife biologist?

I slept at a holiday inn, does that count?

And as an expert, I don't care much about this extra week one way or the other.  I doubt it will have much of an impact on overall populations.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1