The New Holiday Season

Five Seasons

The New Holiday Season  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts now that it's near?

• I like the extra week and I'll be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week, but I'll be hunting
    • I like the extra week, but I won't be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week and I won't be hunting
    • I don't even hunt deer, but I need to answer this poll!

11 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Your making bull shit exaggerations the deer are being hunted all year round already. With the inference that are adding another season is un impactful.
The truth is you do not know what the impact is. Generally speaking to one would want it error on the side of prudence when you’re dealing with an unknown. But that not way it plays out in NY.
It’s shoot first and figure it out later, well maybe.

even further to the point, total take does not help us understand impact. What does the boots on the ground in september do for the rest of the season? What does taking a doe in september do for your chances of her being in heat and bringing a shooter by your stand. This is what I was driving at when it comes to impact of the early season hunt.

• Like 1

I’m curious, who here is a wildlife biologist?

I have an undergraduate in Wildlife Biology. However I am not a practicing biologist, nor have I been employed as such.

Didn’t take me long to realize that because I was interested in something didn’t make it a good subject to try to earn a living at. Live and learn I guess.
  • Like 1

Shall we discuss antler restrictions, crossbows, vaccines and hunter motivation to deer hunt too?
Personally I would only like this holiday hunt if it was restricted to drives only, targeting button bucks using crossbows by tripled vaxed, masked hunters. Bait (covered by cell cams) and spotlighting allowed on the last day/night only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just my 2 cents. 

It doesn't effect me. Already had 8 weekends plus Thanksgiving week of hunting. Our hunting gang has gotten 10 deer(north and south) so freezers at camp are full and I put a doe in my freezer. I've just had enough. Skiing every weekend now. 

Good luck to all.

3 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

So you think it’s healthy for a Whitetail herd to be harassed for another week for hunter enjoyment?  When does it end?   They say they want more deer takin yet they send….Let’s admit…The less skilled/Successful hunters back into the woods with the least successful weapons and the hardest time of year on the deer to go ahead and give it another shot?  That’s Sad!

Nobody hunted here from Thanksgiving til last Tuesday. I only hunted 5 times since last Tuesday. Please tell me exactly how I’ve been harassing them. I have a valid either sex tag and my wife consigned me her doe tag. Why do you care when I fill my tag?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Nobody hunted here from Thanksgiving til last Tuesday. I only hunted 5 times since last Tuesday. Please tell me exactly how I’ve been harassing them. I have a valid either sex tag and my wife consigned me her doe tag. Why do you care when I fill my tag?

Nobody cares when you fill anything. Point being you said yourself that you did not hunt. Your choice. The state should not add time to put more pressure on the herd because a guy chooses not to hunt during the regular season. 

11 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Nobody cares when you fill anything. Point being you said yourself that you did not hunt. Your choice. The state should not add time to put more pressure on the herd because a guy chooses not to hunt during the regular season. 

Pressure in the herd?  How many hunters do you think will be out there???????

Christ all mighty, during firearms season after opening day the woods are empty.   Harnessing the deer, ha!

Smallgame hunters, predator hunters, snowmobiles, snow shoe hikers etc are non existent to a deer?   They’re “harassing” the deer too…..oh, you call it “pressure”.  Same/same

You just can’t stop can you?

What an antagonistic prick you are, as usual.  Merry Christmas 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

i honesty am about ...meh.... on it.  By the end I am about burnt out.  I might go one day, maybe the 1st just cause ive never hunted 1/1 before.  Def no worries on pressure at my spot as there isnt any deer there.  I am the only one thats hunted it prob 3-4 times in the last 3 + weeks.  Just food sources are gone so then the deer are too.  Will prob go just to walk around and check out some of the deer trails i havent been near in bedding areas and to look at an area for some duck hunting options for next season.  But the weather will have to be good and will have to find some motivation to go.  

53 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Well guess what? It doesn't matter what you think because we have the Holiday season. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Christ all mighty, during firearms season after opening day the woods are empty.   Harnessing the deer, ha!

Smallgame hunters, predator hunters, snowmobiles, snow shoe hikers etc are non existent to a deer?   They’re “harassing” the deer too…..oh, you call it “pressure”.  Same/same

Edited by phade
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

So know it all. Why is it if the woods are empty of hunters and why the extra season?  You say no hunters so the frigging woods should be teaming with deer and every hunters tags would be full. Why are the sending your so called no hunters out in the woods an extra week with the weakest of weapons to kill the so called overpopulation of Whitetails?                         You just earned the idiot post of the thread. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i honesty am about ...meh.... on it.  By the end I am about burnt out.  I might go one day, maybe the 1st just cause ive never hunted 1/1 before.  Def no worries on pressure at my spot as there isnt any deer there.  I am the only one thats hunted it prob 3-4 times in the last 3 + weeks.  Just food sources are gone so then the deer are too.  Will prob go just to walk around and check out some of the deer trails i havent been near in bedding areas and to look at an area for some duck hunting options for next season.  But the weather will have to be good and will have to find some motivation to go.  

Yeah but your so called deer professors say you have a deer problem. Your like oh so many others that don’t really have a Whitetail herd and can’t fill all the tags you have giving the 3 plus months one can chase them with all kinds of weapons.         And yet some idiots think it’s a good thing to go out harassing the few if any deer they may have in an area because some idiot in a tie that never stepped in the woods say they can.  This is just why this site is loaded with posts of people bitching they only see tiny deer or no deer at all. 

I wonder if guys were in the woods everyday year round , if perhaps they’d see more deer during the season ,as it would be normal to the deer .

Like at my daughters house where I’ve had to get out of the car and shoo them out of her drive way to,pull in .

Here’s a guy running his dog off leash among I believe 8 deer, normal everyday behavior for these deer .

1579623F-7D3C-4243-B608-C5CF6118F907.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I have 3 kids, all in sports. I coach baseball and I'm on the board for the football league. I'm an executive for a fortune 500 company and I make it out to the woods. As much as I used to? Hell no, but I get out and I punch tags... some nice ones at that.

I don't say this for any other reason than to say that I prioritize hunting. I go to bed early on a weekend without booze so I can get up and hunt. I take vacation in the fall instead of the summer. I may work late on some days so that I can take a half day on others. But yes I've missed mornings because of games. I missed just about all of muzzleloader for a work trip. It happens.

No 2 situations are alike, but if you have your priorities in order, there is no reason you can't get time in the woods excluding health or family issues. If you prioritize a few beers, a night out to eat with the wife, going to church sunday morning or staying up late to watch a game that is perfectly fine, but that is your choice where you place hunting on the list. 

technically it is the off season lol

That's great for you and many of us. Hell I had 9 weeks of time off this year and still couldn't get out in the woods. Sometimes other things in life are far more important. You have young kids I am guessing, as you get older life will throw you many different hard balls, in which to deal with, and put you in situations where you have to be there, with your kids, your parents, your spouse and your own health.  Some will still choose deer hunting over those responsibilities, maybe an "executive" that goes by Dick who lives in Dickville will do just that, I don't know. You make it work, you choose to make it work, you are able to make it work. Some don't or can't. My only point was that there is no reason to mock those who don't or can't for whatever reason.  It wasn't about what you can do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Don_C said:

That's great for you and many of us. Hell I had 9 weeks of time off this year and still couldn't get out in the woods. Sometimes other things in life are far more important. You have young kids I am guessing, as you get older life will throw you many different hard balls, in which to deal with, and put you in situations where you have to be there, with your kids, your parents, your spouse and your own health.  Some will still choose deer hunting over those responsibilities, maybe an "executive" that goes by Dick who lives in Dickville will do just that, I don't know. You make it work, you choose to make it work, you are able to make it work. Some don't or can't. My only point was that there is no reason to mock those who don't or can't for whatever reason.  It wasn't about what you can do.

Perfect post. All fact. But fact still is it was your and his choices. That does not mean we need months long deer season to cater to those that choose a different path. Some fools say there are no hunters in the woods. Then the hunters in the woods are saying…and showing they can’t fill their tags and then you have a state saying to many deer yet let’s give the hunters…… which some say there are none…more time in the same woods to kill the overpopulation…That’s not there… With the weakest weapons in the arsenal that they could choose from. Perfect!!!

• Like 2

Here is way I see it , the hunters that have been successful  will also be the ones out hunting this late season.   Fortunately the weather has been very mild and the herd isn't stressed. 10%  of hunters are kill 90% of game.  If they continue to do so one limited acreage yes this will impact herds.   

Unfortunately the dec doenst look at small properties they look  at wmu..  9f is over populated why?? Lack of access, wiĺ this hunt give more access nope.. so it will continue to be over populated.    If instead they made a requirement to  kill  2 or 3 doe to get a buck tag for these areas you would see the desired reduction of the herd in these areas.. the early muzzleloader had little effect in these areas as well as access is limited.  

Herd  population is the goal that's it.  If you take 12 doe off your property this year you probably won't have that many next year..  then we ca n hear the complaints of dec sucks ar managing deer .  Just be abuse you have tags doenst mean you need to fill everyone. 

There are many write ups / articles on the stages of a Hunter, not ever hunter makes it to different stages.  So  are simply stuck in filling every tag they can get their hands on.   

Personally I had much going on thru bow and some of gun , freezer was full , took  a buck in gun.  Filled it again. Will I hunt the holiday hunt ? Absolutely  but I will be doing it with friends and family enjoying the time afield with them.as some were deployed overseas and are home for the holiday. My traditional grouse hunt on the 1st may now be a deer hunt.  

It comes down to this manage your own hunting spot as best you can weather it is private or a public land, you  don't need to fill every tag and you may need  to move to or have alternative spots to go if you still need meat in your freezer, if the local herd population is down already, fortunately there are millions of acres available  to move to on state and a new piece may simply be a knock on a door and a polite conversation away

• Like 5