The New Holiday Season

Five Seasons

The New Holiday Season  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts now that it's near?

• I like the extra week and I'll be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week, but I'll be hunting
    • I like the extra week, but I won't be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week and I won't be hunting
    • I don't even hunt deer, but I need to answer this poll!

41 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Going from a ranch to colonial but should still get 20-22yds in.   I looked in Brighton too.   But I think I lucked out on a great lot and solid builder - I hope anyways.  

Now you can shoot from your roof ! 

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

"Why is it if the woods are empty of hunters and why the extra season?" It's what some call "an aging population".  Older hunters are still getting hunting licenses, some due to "Lifetime License" sales and others to still be in the mix, just in case.  Also, as we all know, the youngsters just aren't coming into the ranks due to many reasons you and all else here understand and know.  Hence, the population of deer grow in many areas.

"You say no hunters so the frigging woods should be teaming with deer and every hunters tags would be full."  They are in many areas......

"Why are the sending your so called no hunters out in the woods an extra week with the weakest of weapons to kill the so called overpopulation of Whitetails?"  I certainly don't look at the modern archery equipment and muzzleloaders as "weak"!  I think it's the DEC trying to add to the harvest in a somewhat low key way, give hunters another crack at filling a tag or two and get the families together.  (just one guys uneducated opinion)

"You just earned the idiot post of the thread."  I will anxiously watch the mail for my (hopefully) suitable for framing certificate.  I will display it in the spot on the wall I had figured I'd put my Dale Carnegie course completion certificate that I never earned. 

Yet we just had record numbers of new hunters get their hunting license online for this past fall.                                                          You say there are so many deer in some areas…which we know there are in local no hunting areas and 1000 acre lots like mine that are loaded with deer because of smart management…yet so many that post in here complain of no deer sighting?               I really hope you don’t think those white shirts were thinking of your good time with family as the reason to make that extra season?   And when there would be many faster ways to control the so called over population.                                                       For a state not to include Xbow into the archery season when they say there is a deer population problem yet add a season late into the year after the deer are pressed to the max and maybe even started to yard up is just stupidity but that’s not a shocker for this state that’s for sure. 

19 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Yet we just had record numbers of new hunters get their hunting license online for this past fall.                                                          You say there are so many deer in some areas…which we know there are in local no hunting areas and 1000 acre lots like mine that are loaded with deer because of smart management…yet so many that post in here complain of no deer sighting?               I really hope you don’t think those white shirts were thinking of your good time with family as the reason to make that extra season?   And when there would be many faster ways to control the so called over population.                                                       For a state not to include Xbow into the archery season when they say there is a deer population problem yet add a season late into the year after the deer are pressed to the max and maybe even started to yard up is just stupidity but that’s not a shocker for this state that’s for sure. 

Oh come on man, you know the only reason for the increased license sales is the Covid 19.  As soon as this covid speed bump gets taken care of those license holders will be gone, back to their tree hugging ways. 

Sadly I'll have to jump over some of the rest of your post as it's a bit incoherent but I'd like to hear how you propose that the DEC do this; "and when there would be many faster ways to control the so called over population".  Please expound on that if you could.....(bear in mind tight state budgets of course).

Global warming tells us that the deer won't be "yarding up" for a few weeks longer  or possibly not at all each winter with rising temperatures.

Edited by Lawdwaz

37 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Oh come on man, you know the only reason for the increased license sales is the Covid 19.  As soon as this covid speed bump gets taken care of those license holders will be gone, back to their tree hugging ways. 

Sadly I'll have to jump over some of the rest of your post as it's a bit incoherent but I'd like to hear how you propose that the DEC do this; "and when there would be many faster ways to control the so called over population".  Please expound on that if you could.....(bear in mind tight state budgets of course).

Global warming tells us that the deer won't be "yarding up" for a few weeks longer  or possibly not at all each winter with rising temperatures.

Not so sure you have the Covid statement right as I know a few wives and kids of other fellas that jumped on the easy route and some of them actually hunted. And again some got the tags just so the husbands could have more to fill… Another reason the state is clueless as to real population.   If they wanted numbers down their smarter move would have been Xbow in full archery. There would have been double the deer take then then there will be in a late season muzzy/archery season.   Hell they could just issue twice as many to the farmer for the so called damage they do.     And weather or not in this neck of the woods the deer are already grouping up for the winter adjustment. But of course we have already had some winter up here. 

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

For a state not to include Xbow into the archery season when they say there is a deer population problem yet add a season late into the year after the deer are pressed to the max and maybe even started to yard up is just stupidity but that’s not a shocker for this state that’s for sure. 

This is a very good point 

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

If I was back in the college days in would've loved the extra week during the holidays.  I was lucky to get out a day or two then. Or even after college working two or three jobs. 

I passed on 6-8 does this season I could've shot.  But I had one in the freezer which is my first goal so I was trying for a buck. It's always interesting that the area I hunt they give out 30,000 doe permits every year and have extra on Nov 1. But my spot def doesn't have that big of a population.  3 doe were taken off our spot and I was hesitant to take another.  I've shot far more bucks out of there as they wander in during season. I like to keep a good herd of a few does around for that.  

But I don't hate the extra week as I am always for more opportunities for more people.  Guys that can manage their own property can decide for themselves if they want to pressure their deer or not.  

I actually might be the only one that likes the seasons exactly as they were. Get to use all different implements and can get two bucks. It always seemed like a good setup to me. 

The extra week at this point for me is just more of a novelty. Next year I actually am planning to become a duck hunter after 2nd week of gun season.  We have a lot of options in NY.  

You will love duck hunting. We have those Canadian blacks and Mallards swamp our place. Nice creek runs thru about 800 acres of bean and corn fields. The sky just turns black with them some years.  

E0FE9402-CBCD-488E-8DF7-0B10DE81D87A.png

1DF79A2C-E554-4D41-A4E5-2AA9FF321254.png

4D77FA66-523A-499E-8B57-4E116C5A0067.png

01AFD2E6-3622-41A4-A0BE-9F988C18B9B6.png

E280A3B9-8EAD-45A2-910F-F2D691AC1770.png

• Like 5

In all seriousness, there are some members here that I truly believe have a ton of hunting knowledge that could be shared with humility that instead tend to take an antagonistic and perceived braggadocious approach which turns folks off and causes discord.  That was the Carnegie comment.  Influencing people is part art form right or wrong.  And most sadly Belo, I went under contract to build a bigger house in Pittsford so we will no longer be neighbors that never met by next season.  Lol. 

Traitor! We should do some predator hunting before you leave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I am typing this I am hearing that my 2 year old Granddaughter now has COVID. It’s spreading through the family quickly this week. There will be no Christmas celebrations this year and again…going hunting next week is not a priority for me.

Thanks for not calling me out in the “Dick from Dickville” crack. It was a sad attempt at humor.

I mean, I’m a dick so I can’t really argue back.

I’m sorry to hear about your granddaughter and I hope the family beats it.

Some people will never be happy no matter what the state does. Don't like the new season, don't hunt.  To spout off that it going to stress out the heard that's already at the breaking point is absurd. Make it sound like were suddenly going to see dead deer that died from stress all over the place because of this season.  

Dec 26 was dads birthday. I'm looking forward to shooting a doe or two on dads day. He loved to hunt.  I watched more deer pass my stands this yr as I love to hunt deer and didn't want all my tags filled to early. 

• Like 3

Interesting thread!!! I guess I'll hunt. I enjoy it, there's a season open, I'll have time between the holidays and I have a tag-actually I have a anterless tag and could get 2 DMP tags signed over to me if I wanted them. I don't like to post pictures and numbers, but I am sure I've killed my share of deer for some one my age-I am sure there those who have killed more, some less, some have killed larger deer, and maybe some that haven't ever killed 2.5 year or older buck.

I not an expert on the deer herd, except for area I hunt-not sure I'm an expert about that, but I don't think I'll stress them too much with a few sits in a stand. My brother may get out once or twice, and there my be 1 or 2 others that may go hunting in the 800-1,000 acre block I'm familiar with (We hunt 155 acres of it.)

I won't shoot a buck-because I don't have a tag and  I would rather see the smaller ones grow up at this point. If I hadn't shot a buck this year I may feel different about whether or not I'd shoot one next week.  May shoot a doe, may even shoot a fawn if I can be sure it isn't a button buck, or I may shoot nothing, even if I see some antlerless deer. My freezer is full, but I do know people that would welcome a gift of venison.

I have my preferences-I wish for full inclusion, would like to see rifle season open up 2 weeks before Pennsylvania so I have more time to hunt in NY, have the Holiday MZ season take the place of the traditional one, not have blaze orange requirements, and maybe a few others-heck, when I retire soon I may want the Monday opener back-but the Saturday opener has been very valuable to me as a fully employed person.  I don't expect policy and game management to revolve around my preferences, however. 

• Like 2

News Report:

'Holiday Deer Hunt' starts Dec. 26; offers extra week of hunting - WENY News

Despite the extra week now added to the hunting season, the NYSDEC is not expecting a substantial deer harvest during this period. The late bow and muzzle loader season only accounts for 8 percent of the total deer harvest numbers each year.

• Like 2

Today is a day off from work. I am waiting for showers to pass before I head in a few miles to pull a couple cams I set out back in early October and sneak around to see what I can see. I would normally be out scouting and moving stands this weekend anyways, but being able to carry my bow sure makes it interesting. It's a nice wet morning to sneak.

Interesting thread for sure. Glad Moog asked as I don’t think there is one practicing wildlife biologist on here but sure a lot of experts lol. I do get a kick that one of the one most concerned about deer being over stressed is the one who cages up wild animals for a living. But neither here nor there I do agree the season is too long. I am not against the holiday hunt. I think the regular season should end 7-12 days sooner for a longer break before it and make the Holiday hunt like 3 days.

The issue here that some of you are arguing with the others on is moot. The state manages deer on a quantity and overall hunter satisfaction basis not a trophy and more even buck to doe ratio basis. You all need to group up and pull in politicians and figure out ways to get the DEC to change its current goals.

I am at least happy the state has been giving in a bit to hunters with the lower age, rifle use and so on.

Happy New Year to you all however you choose to hunt or hunt with.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Belo said:

Last night the neighbor shot around 4:45. I’m hoping it was a doe.

More discouraging is my dads land where there have been several occasions of multiple shots that were clearly rifles. People suck.

If it is on your dads land did you talk to the hunters??  Were they trespassing or do you know who was out there hunting with a rifle??  If you know them and they are out hunting with a rifle during muzzleloader season I wouldn’t be letting them on my land in the future.  Did you notify the DEC??

7 minutes ago, boo711 said:

If it is on your dads land did you talk to the hunters??  Were they trespassing or do you know who was out there hunting with a rifle??  If you know them and they are out hunting with a rifle during muzzleloader season I wouldn’t be letting them on my land in the future.  Did you notify the DEC??

Predator..squirrel or pheasant  hunting ??

2 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

Squirrel and pheasant with a rifle?

I like to give ppl benefit of the doubt and feel not every one out there is a poacher or breaking the law with every gun shot i hear. Hard to tell much diff between shotgun and rifle when the shot sound is far away.

Maybe I am naïve 

Edited by suburbanfarmer