The New Holiday Season

Five Seasons

The New Holiday Season  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts now that it's near?

• I like the extra week and I'll be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week, but I'll be hunting
    • I like the extra week, but I won't be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week and I won't be hunting
    • I don't even hunt deer, but I need to answer this poll!

19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Is 3S being punished and ending today like it always does? I need one more day!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to DEC harvest reports, you personally have more 12/31 kills in 2020 than the entire WNY region has in history.

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

At first I thought it was only my program that was not open for 1/1…according to the program director who spoke to an ECO, 3S is closed tomorrow…government policies are so clear!!!

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html

It always showed 12/31 since the summer

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

nope. always been 10/1 to 12/31, 2 bucks whenever you want. 

No holiday season? Seems strange.lol

If we are not supposed to hunt on the last day listed on the DECs dates , then I may have hunted a lot of days out of season .;)

Edited by ncountry

8 minutes ago, ncountry said:

No holiday season? Seems strange.lol

If we are not supposed to hunt on the last day listed on the DECs dates , then I may have hunted a lot of days out of season .;)

Maybe i'm not following what you mean? Westchester has always been 10/1 to 12/31 for deer/bear. No holiday season but it always ran all of december.

If it is on your dads land did you talk to the hunters??  Were they trespassing or do you know who was out there hunting with a rifle??  If you know them and they are out hunting with a rifle during muzzleloader season I wouldn’t be letting them on my land in the future.  Did you notify the DEC??

I should clarify, the surrounding properties

• Like 1

I like to give ppl benefit of the doubt and feel not every one out there is a poacher or breaking the law with every gun shot i hear. Hard to tell much diff between shotgun and rifle when the shot sound is far away.
Maybe I am naïve 

I give people the benefit too. But to assume hunters are all a bunch of by the book rule followers is naive. All it takes is a minority few.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Maybe i'm not following what you mean? Westchester has always been 10/1 to 12/31 for deer/bear. No holiday season but it always ran all of december.

I may of missed it,  Westchester does not get a holiday season this year? Admittedly I've not paid that much attention. It doesn't effect me up here.  I thought that if they did get the special holiday season they would gain 1 day.

I may of missed it,  Westchester does not get a holiday season this year? Admittedly I've not paid that much attention. It doesn't effect me up here.  I thought that if they did get the special holiday season they would gain 1 day.

Westchester is always 10/1-12/31….we get SCREWED this year as Westchester is not open 1/1/22 like rest of state

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Westchester is always 10/1-12/31….we get SCREWED this year as Westchester is not open 1/1/22 like rest of state

So Westchester is not part of the southern zone ?

From the DEC website...."The Holiday Hunt will occur in all Southern Zone counties this year"

I give people the benefit too. But to assume hunters are all a bunch of by the book rule followers is naive. All it takes is a minority few.

If every shot I heard here was a person shooting at a deer that would be amazing! I hear literally thousands upon thousands of shots a year. All year around and plenty at night. Most are target shooting, lots and lots of duck and goose.
I’m sure some of the night shots aren’t legit but I hope most aren’t.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Well, thanks to downstate the rest of the state's been getting screwed on gun control for decades, so I don't feel sorry for you at all.

Also, how far is LI from Westchester? Can't you hunt there until January 31st?

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

So Westchester is not part of the southern zone ?

From the DEC website...."The Holiday Hunt will occur in all Southern Zone counties this year"

it's always been bow only from 10/1 - 12/31 for 2 bucks and unlimited does. Unlike the rest of the NYS

• Like 1

Pockets of restraint let me enjoy New Year’s Eve  with the local herd.  Perhaps they’ve domesticated me a bit this year. They enjoy my company for the holidays at least that’s what they told me… I think they’re lying.  

Do what you like to do you only get one chance at it 

C23E4FD6-8BAC-4027-B1A2-567DB82AB8F5.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

How did you all like the Holiday ML season ?   

I think the warmer than average conditions slowed daylight deer activity, but I still saw more deer thru that new season than I did thru all of gun season (after opening day) and normal ML season combined.  

I hope we see it continued, for a least a few more years. I like the extra time, when the odds are better for cold, because it makes it easier to handle the meat.  It is also great to be able to hunt on some weekday paid Holidays, and not needing to use vacation days.  

• Like 1

You've had it toooo good for tooo long!  

I know my sarcasm wasn’t lost on you and your jab was welcome and appreciated!!! However, this year I couldn’t even take advantage of 12/30 or 12/31…damn China flu got me exhausted and I just didn’t have the energy or strength to hunt those two days. I have written to Fauci, requesting those days to be made into “floating hunting days days” to be used when ever I want if I promise to double mask and get all the boosters!

• Like 2