The New Holiday Season

Five Seasons

The New Holiday Season  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts now that it's near?

• I like the extra week and I'll be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week, but I'll be hunting
    • I like the extra week, but I won't be hunting
    • I don't like the extra week and I won't be hunting
    • I don't even hunt deer, but I need to answer this poll!

I wonder if guys were in the woods everyday year round , if perhaps they’d see more deer during the season ,as it would be normal to the deer .
Like at my daughters house where I’ve had to get out of the car and shoo them out of her drive way to,pull in .
Here’s a guy running his dog off leash among I believe 8 deer, normal everyday behavior for these deer .
1579623F-7D3C-4243-B608-C5CF6118F907.thumb.jpeg.179a5a62a3fe2f5d626a702a652ccdf9.jpeg
Let's stop wondering and lobby the DEC to allow hunting year round! No better time than the off-season to push for it!!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Zag said:

Who gives a flying crap. Chew on that for awhile.

Now now, don't be like that. You know certain members here just have to argue and pitch a fit about everything. They can't help it, they have nothing better to do that type words all day and night. Those people also like to spout off about "You can do whatever you want it." ,but they fail to add the final part to that which is "As long as you do things my way and think my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.". They're thinking it and want to say it, and we know what they mean. What type of forum would we have if people actually just let others do and think for themselves?

I cast my vote, and I very sincerely, with all my being, don't give two craps in a bucket who likes or doesn't like the added week. If you don't want to hunt that week then don't. Why does everything have to be so damned complicated? This isn't rocket science here. I said this same thing in another thread, no one forces you to hunt the times when you don't feel like it or don't agree with those seasons, so who cares if others do. Just do your own thing and let others do theirs.

I like the last option for the pole, and sure enough the wind chimed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I wonder if guys were in the woods everyday year round , if perhaps they’d see more deer during the season ,as it would be normal to the deer .
Like at my daughters house where I’ve had to get out of the car and shoo them out of her drive way to,pull in .
Here’s a guy running his dog off leash among I believe 8 deer, normal everyday behavior for these deer .
1579623F-7D3C-4243-B608-C5CF6118F907.thumb.jpeg.179a5a62a3fe2f5d626a702a652ccdf9.jpeg

You know you’re pointing out what many of us have said for a while. It’s not that we need more time to thin the herd, it’s access to areas like town parks that don’t allow hunting. The deer aren’t stupid, they know where it’s safe when the guns go off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great for you and many of us. Hell I had 9 weeks of time off this year and still couldn't get out in the woods. Sometimes other things in life are far more important. You have young kids I am guessing, as you get older life will throw you many different hard balls, in which to deal with, and put you in situations where you have to be there, with your kids, your parents, your spouse and your own health.  Some will still choose deer hunting over those responsibilities, maybe an "executive" that goes by Dick who lives in Dickville will do just that, I don't know. You make it work, you choose to make it work, you are able to make it work. Some don't or can't. My only point was that there is no reason to mock those who don't or can't for whatever reason.  It wasn't about what you can do.

At no point was I mocking anyone. Simply agreeing with you that some will prioritize other things over hunting and that is ok.

I’ve been thrown more curveballs than you can imagine, but the woods is my therapy, my meditation and it’s where I go to help process those curveballs.

Please understand I’m not judging you for having 9 weeks of vacation and not able to find time to hunt, but simply trying to point out that we all have different levels of devotion to this sport and anything in life that is worth doing will require sacrifice. What you choose is on you and what someone else thinks or does shouldn’t matter in the least.

• Like 1

Just now, Belo said:

That comment lost me, but I did attend a few of their leadership classes lol

In all seriousness, there are some members here that I truly believe have a ton of hunting knowledge that could be shared with humility that instead tend to take an antagonistic and perceived braggadocious approach which turns folks off and causes discord.  That was the Carnegie comment.  Influencing people is part art form right or wrong.  And most sadly Belo, I went under contract to build a bigger house in Pittsford so we will no longer be neighbors that never met by next season.  Lol. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

went under contract to build a bigger house in Pittsford

Penfield to Pittsford , a normal Eastside progression.

I actually read , How to Win Friends and Influence People , many years ago , perhaps one day I’ll apply the principles put forth in it, naw .

• Haha 1

At no point was I mocking anyone. Simply agreeing with you that some will prioritize other things over hunting and that is ok.

I’ve been thrown more curveballs than you can imagine, but the woods is my therapy, my meditation and it’s where I go to help process those curveballs.

Please understand I’m not judging you for having 9 weeks of vacation and not able to find time to hunt, but simply trying to point out that we all have different levels of devotion to this sport and anything in life that is worth doing will require sacrifice. What you choose is on you and what someone else thinks or does shouldn’t matter in the least.

I’m sorry, I did not mean to sound as if I was coming at you. I am very fortunate to be able to hunt many many days every year, as you and many others are able to do. There was some mean spirited talking-down to those with “poor hunting skills” and “lack of commitment” to finding time to hunt somewhere in this thread and I was only trying to make the point that some just can’t do it or have other things that are more important at the time. I found that to be a poor argument against the new season is all.

There really are hunters who don’t get any time off and this is an opportunity for them to get out maybe. The individual making fun of a guy who maybe couldn’t get out and will now have a chance is just wrong, if he shoots a deer on Dec 28th does it matter? Is it somehow different than shooting that same deer on Nov 3rd?

My situation is irrelevant, I chose not to go out due to many factors and was sick when I was willing to go. Just couldn’t win this year. It’s ok, I had an awesome year last year and am honestly happy not to have the taxidermy bills!

As I am typing this I am hearing that my 2 year old Granddaughter now has COVID. It’s spreading through the family quickly this week. There will be no Christmas celebrations this year and again…going hunting next week is not a priority for me.

Thanks for not calling me out in the “Dick from Dickville” crack. It was a sad attempt at humor.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Penfield to Pittsford , a normal Eastside progression.

I actually read , How to Win Friends and Influence People , many years ago , perhaps one day I’ll apply the principles put forth in it, naw .

Got tired of being the worst hunter in the Webster area.  I hear there are some really bad hunters in Pittsford.  Needed another 1000sf too.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I’m sorry, I did not mean to sound as if I was coming at you. I am very fortunate to be able to hunt many many days every year, as you and many others are able to do. There was some mean spirited talking-down to those with “poor hunting skills” and “lack of commitment” to finding time to hunt somewhere in this thread and I was only trying to make the point that some just can’t do it or have other things that are more important at the time. I found that to be a poor argument against the new season is all.

There really are hunters who don’t get any time off and this is an opportunity for them to get out maybe. The individual making fun of a guy who maybe couldn’t get out and will now have a chance is just wrong, if he shoots a deer on Dec 28th does it matter? Is it somehow different than shooting that same deer on Nov 3rd?

My situation is irrelevant, I chose not to go out due to many factors and was sick when I was willing to go. Just couldn’t win this year. It’s ok, I had an awesome year last year and am honestly happy not to have the taxidermy bills!

As I am typing this I am hearing that my 2 year old Granddaughter now has COVID. It’s spreading through the family quickly this week. There will be no Christmas celebrations this year and again…going hunting next week is not a priority for me.

Thanks for not calling me out in the “Dick from Dickville” crack. It was a sad attempt at humor.

Praying for the family Don. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

So know it all. Why is it if the woods are empty of hunters and why the extra season?  You say no hunters so the frigging woods should be teaming with deer and every hunters tags would be full. Why are the sending your so called no hunters out in the woods an extra week with the weakest of weapons to kill the so called overpopulation of Whitetails?                         You just earned the idiot post of the thread. 

"Why is it if the woods are empty of hunters and why the extra season?" It's what some call "an aging population".  Older hunters are still getting hunting licenses, some due to "Lifetime License" sales and others to still be in the mix, just in case.  Also, as we all know, the youngsters just aren't coming into the ranks due to many reasons you and all else here understand and know.  Hence, the population of deer grow in many areas.

"You say no hunters so the frigging woods should be teaming with deer and every hunters tags would be full."  They are in many areas......

"Why are the sending your so called no hunters out in the woods an extra week with the weakest of weapons to kill the so called overpopulation of Whitetails?"  I certainly don't look at the modern archery equipment and muzzleloaders as "weak"!  I think it's the DEC trying to add to the harvest in a somewhat low key way, give hunters another crack at filling a tag or two and get the families together.  (just one guys uneducated opinion)

"You just earned the idiot post of the thread."  I will anxiously watch the mail for my (hopefully) suitable for framing certificate.  I will display it in the spot on the wall I had figured I'd put my Dale Carnegie course completion certificate that I never earned. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Nobody cares when you fill anything. Point being you said yourself that you did not hunt. Your choice. The state should not add time to put more pressure on the herd because a guy chooses not to hunt during the regular season. 

Part of making that choice was saving a tag for the holiday hunt, not the other way around. You can see that, right? 
I still don’t see where sneaking into my woods next week puts any more pressure on deer than it does this week. It’s just me on a couple of hundred acres. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

In all seriousness, there are some members here that I truly believe have a ton of hunting knowledge that could be shared with humility that instead tend to take an antagonistic and perceived braggadocious approach which turns folks off and causes discord.  That was the Carnegie comment.  Influencing people is part art form right or wrong.  And most sadly Belo, I went under contract to build a bigger house in Pittsford so we will no longer be neighbors that never met by next season.  Lol. 

Getting closer to being neighbors!  How big is the new basement archery range??? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Getting closer to being neighbors!  How big is the new basement archery range??? 

Going from a ranch to colonial but should still get 20-22yds in.   I looked in Brighton too.   But I think I lucked out on a great lot and solid builder - I hope anyways.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Yeah but your so called deer professors say you have a deer problem. Your like oh so many others that don’t really have a Whitetail herd and can’t fill all the tags you have giving the 3 plus months one can chase them with all kinds of weapons.         And yet some idiots think it’s a good thing to go out harassing the few if any deer they may have in an area because some idiot in a tie that never stepped in the woods say they can.  This is just why this site is loaded with posts of people bitching they only see tiny deer or no deer at all. 

If I was back in the college days in would've loved the extra week during the holidays.  I was lucky to get out a day or two then. Or even after college working two or three jobs. 

I passed on 6-8 does this season I could've shot.  But I had one in the freezer which is my first goal so I was trying for a buck. It's always interesting that the area I hunt they give out 30,000 doe permits every year and have extra on Nov 1. But my spot def doesn't have that big of a population.  3 doe were taken off our spot and I was hesitant to take another.  I've shot far more bucks out of there as they wander in during season. I like to keep a good herd of a few does around for that.  

But I don't hate the extra week as I am always for more opportunities for more people.  Guys that can manage their own property can decide for themselves if they want to pressure their deer or not.  

I actually might be the only one that likes the seasons exactly as they were. Get to use all different implements and can get two bucks. It always seemed like a good setup to me. 

The extra week at this point for me is just more of a novelty. Next year I actually am planning to become a duck hunter after 2nd week of gun season.  We have a lot of options in NY.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Pittsford…booooooooooooo :-)