Thoughts on First Lite Gear

Hey Guys, this year I have been hitting the treestand pretty hard and I'm having a REAL difficult time staying warm. I just purchased First Lite Sanctuary 2.0 Lineup as well as their furnace base layers. I'm really really hoping these do the trick and keep me toasty. 

Do any of you have any experience with First Lite, or even better yet their Sanctuary 2.0/Furnace lineup?

Not to sidetrack, but the only "magic bullet" I've seen on here for cold tree stand itis is heated vests.  I personally like to layer up once I get to the bottom of the stand, as most of my walks in are over half a mile.  So if you can walk to the stand in lighter gear that doesn't sweat you up, then pile on another insulation and wind layer that makes a huge difference for longevity.  I'm not an all day sitter though, 4 or 5 hours tops.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Not to sidetrack, but the only "magic bullet" I've seen on here for cold tree stand itis is heated vests.  I personally like to layer up once I get to the bottom of the stand, as most of my walks in are over half a mile.  So if you can walk to the stand in lighter gear that doesn't sweat you up, then pile on another insulation and wind layer that makes a huge difference for longevity.  I'm not an all day sitter though, 4 or 5 hours tops.

I do plan on walking in light then layering up once I'm where I want to be. I truly do hope you are wrong though and these clothes keep me warm, lol. I took a 1200 dollar gamble so I really hope it pays off -_-

47 minutes ago, heavuser said:

I do plan on walking in light then layering up once I'm where I want to be. I truly do hope you are wrong though and these clothes keep me warm, lol. I took a 1200 dollar gamble so I really hope it pays off -_-

Oh I think you'll be way warmer and be able to sit for longer no doubt.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i think one our resident hunters here is a model for them i believe..... @turkeyfeathers  isnt this your gear?  

No, he uses another company’s gear.   

I have a Sanctuary jacket and it’s just ok.  Two things that really suck on mine (3 years old now?) are the zipper is light duty and difficult to start sometimes.   For god’s sake, FL put a decent zipper on it!   The other is the hand warmer pockets aren’t “sewed down” and when you’d pull your hand out if you had a thin glove on the interior of the pocket would pull out.   Are you kidding me? I had a lady at work sew them in and it’s fine now but for the coin, it’s kind of a joke.   

Other than those two issues, it’s been fine.  I only use it for gun hunting….

PS: that is a .243 in the picture in case you couldn’t tell.   It’s a chicks/kids gun.  

95612A85-17F9-46B6-BA10-B05C420E978D.jpeg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

I got one of their mid weight base layers last year- not sure what it's called.  It's relatively thin and light, fits great, has a hood and thumb holes.  i like it a lot.  I wore it all season and definitely found it to be better than whatever I was using before.

• Like 1

I have not used the first lite clothing , but I’ve had really good luck with midway usa’s brand clothing they sell . I have a few articles of their hunting clothing that I can’t say any thing bad about . Just bought a mid weight insulated shirt with extended sleeves and thumb hole that I used as a base layer and was very happy with the warmth on my Sunday morning MZ hunt . And if your patient they usually have their stuff on sale . Here’s a link https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939155217?pid=604858

Edited by rob-c

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

I have a Sanctuary jacket and it’s just ok.  Two things that really suck on mine (3 years old now?) are the zipper is light duty and difficult to start sometimes.   For god’s sake, FL put a decent zipper on it!   The other is the hand warmer pockets aren’t “sewed down” and when you’d pull your hand out if you had a thin glove on the interior of the pocket would pull out.   Are you kidding me? I had a lady at work sew them in and it’s fine now but for the coin, it’s kind of a joke.   

PS: that is a .243 in the picture in case you couldn’t tell.   It’s a chicks/kids gun.  

thanks Larry.  And that gun in your hands is all man my friend!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Is that a picture taken in a mirror? the bolt on the rifle is on wrong side and both of the bucks' G3's are broken. Lastly, we don't get snow in NY before Jan 1, so where was that pic taken?

I lost 40 pounds last year and needed some new gear. I bought the Furnace top and bottom. I find them unbelievably warm-too warm for temps above 30. They were wonderful when I spent 6 hours plowing with a cab-less tractor after the 40" snow last year.

I bought the Solitude bibs and jacket when they were on sale this year. I have been very happy with them. Not bulky and they have been warm and comfortable for this rifle season-temps between 20 and 40 with a lighter base layer and a quarter zip pullover. I'll see how they do in the late season with the Furnace set underneath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, heavuser said:

How about the warmth factor, besides the short coming your described, does it keep you toasty or just warm enough to deal with the cold?

Oh it's plenty warm with a couple layers underneath.  It's really just for stand hunting IMO.  If I guy or gal was heading out for a long hoof, you'd best tie it and your lunch to a pack frame.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Is that a picture taken in a mirror? the bolt on the rifle is on wrong side and both of the bucks' G3's are broken. Lastly, we don't get snow in NY before Jan 1, so where was that pic taken?

No mirror, the bolt is on the left side for right minded hunters

I didn't break the G3's

There was snow 2018 opening weekend......hence the wry smile.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, onlybrowning said:

Beautiful. I wish I could get one with a detachable magazine. I’d definitely be inclined to order one if I could!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A WHAT??  Blasphemy.    Look up "AR 15", there's your detachable magazine. :)

Heck he doesn't even offer a hinged floor plate.

I have the Solitude bibs and jacket as well as the Kiln. The Kiln follow directions and do not wash it much or it will wear out fast. Otherwise it is fine. I have another brand I go to more.
I have been very happy with the comfort and warmth of the Solitude. I did have some inner stitching come apart in the bibs and they sent me a new pair. One complaint no harness slot in jacket back.

I have a pair of obsidian pants I love and wear a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Lol.  That’s prob the only reason the chicks gun was used. Snow might show the little bit of blood that might be spilled.                     Didn’t our professional explain that good enough on a different thread here lately?