New panfish and perch limits..

G-Man

Was glad to see the dec reduce perch and panf8sh limits on some lakes, although I feel it's about 5 years late..  

It's not the issue of 25 / 50 fish a day that was the issue but in my own opinion it was the individuals that took  that limit every day for weeks... it great you have time to fish every day and you enjoy fishing but keep enough for a meal and put rest back..  due to this exorbitant take ( yes I  know you give them away)  that these new limits affect  everyone's legal take. So now that guy / girl that get out once or 2x a season are now greater restricted in their allowable  take.....  

Please think about this when your hard water fishing... unlike hunting  you can put the fish back....

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Was glad to see the dec reduce perch and panf8sh limits on some lakes, although I feel it's about 5 years late..  

It's not the issue of 25 / 50 fish a day that was the issue but in my own opinion it was the individuals that took  that limit every day for weeks... it great you have time to fish every day and you enjoy fishing but keep enough for a meal and put rest back..  due to this exorbitant take ( yes I  know you give them away)  that these new limits affect  everyone's legal take. So now that guy / girl that get out once or 2x a season are now greater restricted in their allowable  take.....  

Please think about this when your hard water fishing... unlike hunting  you can put the fish back....

Oh so many around these parts would collect the old welfare check and sell 3-4 five gallon buckets full every day.                 Glad to see the limits. 

• Like 1

I bitch about this every year. Fish and catch to your hearts content. Keep some fish for eating. Even give a batch or two to friends and family. But dang!!!!, you don't have to catch and keep a limit day after day just to post it on social media.

It is pretty sad when you have to be careful who you take to your fishing spots because they will come back and take fish over and over. I fish relatively small lakes, and there is a limit to the nice fish you can keep. 

Unfortunately, these new limits only apply to one lake that I usually fish a couple times a year. I just never can understand the greed, and the need to post pictures all the time. I usually post a few pictures during the winter of the kids getting a big pickeral on a tip up, or catching some nice perch or crappies, with big ol smiles on their faces. To me, that is a lot more exciting to see than a 50+ year old man with a bunch of limits of fish.

There are guys on the Oneida lake sites this fall that were banging out 50 every day.  2 guys in a boat 100 perch. They were just tearing them up. 

Used to have a buddy from high school that would ice fish the whole winter break. Fill his freezer and sell a bunch to boot and make a couple hundred bucks.

Dunno if you saw though that they also passed a no limit for indian tribe members. Been a bit controversial here as some are worried they will take it as commercial fishing. 

The state is leaning towards increasing the walleye limit on Oneida to 5 this year. I would prefer they leave it and change the whole state to 3 , except for Erie.  What other walleye lake in NY is good enough to take the 5 in the general regulations?  Only Erie for sure. 

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Gman was there a link for that?  Would like to check it out thanks. 

I thought the proposal was just for sunfish and not perch. A lot of fellas around here won't be happy.  25 perch is more than plenty for me though. 

i dont think it changed anything for perch 25 sunfish/bluegill statewide then some special regs for sunfish/gills on certain bodies of water Crappie i think goes to ten inches , ,,,,Also  huntandfish pretty sure that has only to do with indian owned land and really thats been the norm as long as i can re-call native land has always been off limits to encon etc....not 100% sure but thats what i understood

Edited by land 1

11 minutes ago, land 1 said:

i dont think it changed anything for perch 25 sunfish/bluegill statewide then some special regs for sunfish/gills on certain bodies of water Crappie i think goes to ten inches , ,,,,Also  huntandfish pretty sure that has only to do with indian owned land and really thats been the norm as long as i can re-call native land has always been off limits to encon etc....not 100% sure but thats what i understood

The new proposed legislation is for non tribal lands..... https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.uticaod.com/amp/8907577002

7 minutes ago, JJBat150 said:

Link to the new management plan 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7977.html

12 minutes ago, land 1 said:

That's what I thought too. People on Oneida would be screaming if it was for perch.  

@Pygmy and handsome Howie might not be liking this.  

26 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The new proposed legislation is for non tribal lands..... https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.uticaod.com/amp/8907577002

ok i went over it and im confused it says, i think, game laws can be enforced off native land as long as it reasonable  necessary conservation measures but as long as it dosnt discriminant against native americans .... WTF does that mean ugh .... seems like lots of loop holes at the minimum ,,, thanks for posting

1 minute ago, land 1 said:

ok i went over it and im confused it says, i think, game laws can be enforced off native land as long as it reasonable  necessary conservation measures but as long as it dosnt discriminant against native americans .... WTF does that mean ugh .... seems like lots of loop holes at the minimum ,,, thanks for posting

Yeah definitely. Seems like something they want to pass then DEC.will be left to sort it out.  Something else they won't have time to track or enforce. 

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah definitely. Seems like something they want to pass then DEC.will be left to sort it out.  Something else they won't have time to track or enforce. 

agree read the bill like 4 times and there is sub section 3 of the new law and it does address off indian owned land that they can be ticketed but  still seems vague and not black and white at least to me. Also lots of Indian land borders oneida lake thats for sure, so if they are  on there land on shore catching eyes by the bucket in april out of the canal then what? ugh

I agree fully with G man. Greed is the problem, not limits. It's the same as hunting, some people will kill everything they can without regard to sustainability. People can't just take what they need and leave a few for the next guy. I agree with Rob too, these guys that post pictures of limits of perch EVERY single day for a week straight are not sportsman to me. There's no way they are eating 300 jack perch, they simply want the public image of being an above average fisherman. I really hate the guys that sell them, is it even legal? I would be all for a 5 walleye limit on Oneida if you could trust people's respect for the resource. Otherwise it's the same issue, guys fishing for a month straight stockpiling more walleyes than they can possibly consume simply because it's legal, while depleting the population for everyone else. I would like to see a slot limit on the walleyes if they go to a 5 fish limit at the very least, but I doubt they will...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Unfortunately daily limits are pretty much the only enforceable limits, possession limits tend to fall by the wayside. High fish limits just like high game limit fosters a perception of artificial abundance. While in a fact a animal or fish maybe abundant, it doesn’t mean that populations aren’t affected by harvests. Another thing that high limits do is devalue fish and wild life. This is very common, as mentality is don’t worry there is more where that came from.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, chrisw said:

I agree fully with G man. Greed is the problem, not limits. It's the same as hunting, some people will kill everything they can without regard to sustainability. People can't just take what they need and leave a few for the next guy. I agree with Rob too, these guys that post pictures of limits of perch EVERY single day for a week straight are not sportsman to me. There's no way they are eating 300 jack perch, they simply want the public image of being an above average fisherman. I really hate the guys that sell them, is it even legal? I would be all for a 5 walleye limit on Oneida if you could trust people's respect for the resource. Otherwise it's the same issue, guys fishing for a month straight stockpiling more walleyes than they can possibly consume simply because it's legal, while depleting the population for everyone else. I would like to see a slot limit on the walleyes if they go to a 5 fish limit at the very least, but I doubt they will...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

At this point it is legal to sell perch, sunfish, rockbass.  It's not legal to sell any "gamefish" such as bass, walleye or crappie.  In Jefferson County there is no limit on perch, and selling them is a thing there, especially during ice fishing season.  There are places up there that buy whole perch, and sell fillets.  You would have to be a much better fisherman than I am to want to do that.  To me they are "gold" and nothing beats a surf and turf dinner of fried perch fillets with grilled backstrap.  On the fishing websites there is an annual debate about whether selling fish should be outlawed.  It certainly can be detrimental to inland waters, I'm not sure about Jefferson County/Lake Ontario waters.

I dont think it hurts ontario at all as far as perch populations the vast majority of the lake is untouched for perch fishing and as far as ice that is limited to as the majority of ontario never sees ice, and its a huge body of water, inland lakes def can be over fished