weed killer question

Hey everyone.  I'm a bit new to the food plot world.  I did a small plot this past summer and had some growth, but I don't think the soil was the best.  I have another spot that might yield better results.  Its currently an old cow pasture, some apple and walnut trees, currently has a mix of grass and what looks like clover, Ill be doing a soil test this spring.  I'd like to start a new plot in this area.  Are there any other weed control products that you like to use aside from spraying roundup?  I'm just wondering about any granule products that can be layed down with a simple seed spreader/broadcaster.

Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Wasting money with roundup. Tractor supply sells 41% glysophate which is the same product for much less. Tried to copy the link but it didn't work. Make sure everything you want to kill is actively growing. Don't spray to early.

I buy the concentrate and it makes about 3x more than the ready to spray jugs.  
my plan is to ideally spray end of April or early May.

Yeah makes since I do the same. I try and spray a week before planting, if I don't get all the stuff I want dead,  I spray again a week later. And plant that day. Good luck!

For me seeing the amount of deer increase and watch a plan come into place food plots are almost as fun as the actual hunting part.

• Like 2

Before you blame your green thumb read this article on Walnut trees

https://www.groworganic.com/blogs/articles/companion-plants-that-tolerate-black-walnut-tree-toxicity

Walnut husks are toxic to many fish too.  Unless you have timber quality walnut trees or love gray squirrels they are a pain in the butt to have around. 

Just make sure you have sunlight for at least 7hours or more for your ground crops to thrive. This year I made a new 1/2 acre field of oats and white clover that I seeded in mid August.....the deer were in it during daylight hours every day all deer season.

Just keeps planting and see what grows there is always next year (unless you are my age)

Do a soil test and amend accordingly. I also second the 41% glyso from Tractor Supply. Add a surfactant and you'll kill off what you need.

The walnut trees are for certain an issue and I learned that after spending thousands on landscaping that was installed near a black walnut. Most of the shrubs and greenery was stunted and end up dead after just a year. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

Get rid of those black walnut trees asap.. takes 30+ yrs to get anything worth selling out of a walnut grove.

Nope  ,ill take the 1k a tree i get for a 40 year old walnut. 

20220518_052725.thumb.jpg.f76ed14485e915889e73ada2f6e6fb8b.jpg

6 hours ago, corydd7 said:

G-Man don't black walnut ruin soil? Little to no gain for wildlife? You purely keep them for income? If so that cool, just would enjoy your feedback on how they affect wildlife. 

Black walnut  do have juglan which supresses  growth in other plants,  but my grove is full of black raspberry  which deer, fox, squirrels ,turkey, bear, and birds, use heavily.  The nuts are eaten by turkey, bear, squirrel, and people!

The hollow tree lets owls, raccoon, squirrels nest.

Ive sold select trees  for over 1 k apiece and use that $ to improve other parts  of the  property for wildlife..  just because they dont provide deer a boost is no reason  to cut down a grove , they prefer deep fertial soil.  And  are important to many species.  If you truly are a steward of the land  all wildlife and habitat are important. 20220518_052725.thumb.jpg.f76ed14485e915889e73ada2f6e6fb8b.jpg

Part of my small walnut grove...

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, G-Man said:

Nope  ,ill take the 1k a tree i get for a 40 year old walnut. 

Of course if you have a grove that will give you that yield than its a different discussion , OP was talking about starting a food plot, that is next to impossible to grow under black walnut trees.

• Like 1