Crossbow Questions for Novices

Chris-Jordan

Hello, everyone. For Christmas, my prospective sister-in-law wants to get my brother a crossbow. She requested for my assistance in choosing one, but I have no expertise with or knowledge of crossbows. Is there anyone here who can offer their knowledge, suggestions, or useful links with me so that I may conduct some research? I'm also checking the subreddit here, and I'll make sure to add any useful links I come across. Thank you in advance, and good luck with your quest.

NYS DEC regulations on crossbows are below.

Just be aware many manufacturers list the width (both cocked and un-cocked) of a crossbow by measuring axle to axle.  The regs are total width of limbs, so some models may slide in as being legal even if the "width" measurement is under 17 inches.   

Crossbow Specifications

• A legal crossbow consists of a bow and string, either compound or recurve, that launches a minimum 14-inch bolt or arrow, not including point, mounted upon a stock with a trigger that holds the string and limbs under tension until released.
  • The trigger unit of such crossbow must have a working safety.
  • Minimum limb width: 17 inches (outer tip of limbs, excluding wheels and cams, uncocked)
    • Minimum peak draw weight: 100 pounds
    • Maximum peak draw weight: 200 pounds.
  • Minimum overall length: 24 inches from butt-stock to front of limbs.