Have we over sanitized ourselves?

Larry

The reason why I’m asking is with everything that’s going on today. With covid and other diseases. We don’t hear about the homeless getting as sick as the rest of us. Are they not reported or is there immune system more robust than the rest of us?

Those of us that are older remember when all we had to clean with was soap and water. Now we have antibacterial soaps and cleaners. Have we made ourselves to clean and in the process weaken our immune system? What do you guy’s think?

I believe it definitely does. 

I've  been told by a couple doctors and several nurses we know that overuse of hand sanitizer and anti bacterial soaps isn't good for you. They dry out essential oils that protect the skin. My wife uses the stuff constantly.  She wakes up in the middle of the night and I hear the top pop on the bottle of sanitizer.  I ask her who in her dreams she came in contact with to need hand sanitizer, lol. Her hands all all dried out and has to use lotion frequently. 

I haven't touched the stuff. Just wash my hands like I normally would before this crap started with plain old soap and water, and no dry skin issues. 

Piggy backing off @mowin..

I've got a 3rd grader at home. He is instructed to use hand sanitizer in school all the time. As a result, his hands have patches where the skin is dry and rough and red and he complains that it burns (from being dried out), so we have to use lotion on his hands all the time to restore the moisture that's stripped away from the over use of the sanitizer. 

I have no idea . I don’t think I’ve used hand sanitizer 10 times in my life and that included idk over 1000 ems calls of all sorts . Irish Spring for me and I’m sure the cheapest spray cleaner Aldis sells for the sinks and countertops.

Ive stopped showering daily ,often skipping a day, that’s mostly out of lazy ness though . 

As for the homeless I’ve dealt with many, there’s not to,many real old ones … most are to drunk or drugged to know or care if they’re sick .

It’s better for your skin . Showering  strips away essential oil, and the “ good “ bacteria. Skip a day here and there especially in the winter , I’d imagine that pittsford has some sort of ordinance prohibiting the practice though . 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Larry said:

The reason why I’m asking is with everything that’s going on today. With covid and other diseases. We don’t hear about the homeless getting as sick as the rest of us. Are they not reported or is there immune system more robust than the rest of us?

Those of us that are older remember when all we had to clean with was soap and water. Now we have antibacterial soaps and cleaners. Have we made ourselves to clean and in the process weaken our immune system? What do you guy’s think?

You also do not hear about them faring better than "the rest of us".  They certainly have higher rates of tuberculosis, hepatitis, and other infectious diseases.  That would be evidence of an immune system not more robust than "the rest of us".  Despite the use of antibacterial soaps and cleaners, we are all exposed to infectious pathogens via our respiratory system and touching objects and then our face/food/mouth.  I do not believe we have weakened our immune systems, but  only reduced sickness by use of antibacterial soaps and cleaners.

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

It’s better for your skin . Showering  strips away essential oil, and the “ good “ bacteria. Skip a day here and there especially in the winter , I’d imagine that pittsford has some sort of ordinance prohibiting the practice though . 

What are we cheese? Let the bacteria grow? I guess that might be where the term "moldy old men" comes from.

48 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I mostly pick my nose but don’t eat my boogers.

I also have a home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I use hand sanitizer in stores. Some booger picker wiping his nose rocks on the last package of cookies. :bad:

Edited by DirtTime
spelling
  • Haha 1

Alot of people  need to master the art of the shower and general hygiene first  before they progress to trying to master hand sanitizers lol. And can someone please tell me why potheads can't  smell themselves? Yes you smoked 2 hrs ago we can still smell it lol

About a week after quitting smoking cigarettes I could smell a smoker from a mile away. And be super jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, DirtTime said:

What are we cheese? Let the bacteria grow? I guess that might be where the term "moldy old men" comes from.

This is why I use hand sanitizer in stores. Some booger picker wiping his nose rocks on the last package of cookies. :bad:

The reason i dont buy grapes or eat at a buffet ever.  Was at the store recently and a couple in sweatpants was basically standing there freegrazing grapes.  Also LAST buffet i ever went to, watched a guy scrape off what he didnt eat back into the pan.....nope.  

The reason i dont buy grapes or eat at a buffet ever.  Was at the store recently and a couple in sweatpants was basically standing there freegrazing grapes.  Also LAST buffet i ever went to, watched a guy scrape off what he didnt eat back into the pan.....nope.  

Buffets gross me out. I’d rather starve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

No doubt what doesn't kill you can make you stronger. The sterile environment argument has some real merit IMHO. All that sanitizing crap kills the good, commensal bacteria along with the bad. But my biggest fear isn't something that we can perceive...it's the truck you don't see that leaves you like road-kill. I think that modern society relies heavily on manufactured goods that often involve chemicals nature never intended. Exposure to these things has the potential to impact the way our genome interacts with the environment, and these effects can persist for generations to come. 

For example, I've developed an alcohol allergy as I've gotten older. Two drinks and I'm suffering a hangover before I'm even drunk. Crazy thing is, I have four friends now that have the same thing. The NIH has now made studying how we acquire emerging age-dependent allergies a focus - some of the stuff we've done to ourselves in the name of progress is horrifying (like having an alcohol allergy lol).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Follow the science .Myself I skip a day or two a week, I smell and feel just fine . I showered after dinner last night, fresh as a daisy right now , I may wait till tomorrow morning . But I manscape  ,and wear loose boxers , it’s a system . I almost never shower prior to hunting , my freezers full .

https://experiencelife.lifetime.life/article/a-shower-a-day-washes-good-bacteria-away/

56 minutes ago, knehrke said:

No doubt what doesn't kill you can make you stronger. The sterile environment argument has some real merit IMHO. All that sanitizing crap kills the good, commensal bacteria along with the bad. But my biggest fear isn't something that we can perceive...it's the truck you don't see that leaves you like road-kill. I think that modern society relies heavily on manufactured goods that often involve chemicals nature never intended. Exposure to these things has the potential to impact the way our genome interacts with the environment, and these effects can persist for generations to come. 

For example, I've developed an alcohol allergy as I've gotten older. Two drinks and I'm suffering a hangover before I'm even drunk. Crazy thing is, I have four friends now that have the same thing. The NIH has now made studying how we acquire emerging age-dependent allergies a focus - some of the stuff we've done to ourselves in the name of progress is horrifying (like having an alcohol allergy lol).

Always felt this way about the rise in peanut allergies over the last 10 years.  

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

Follow the science .Myself I skip a day or two a week, I smell and feel just fine . I showered after dinner last night, fresh as a daisy right now , I may wait till tomorrow morning . But I manscape  ,and wear loose boxers , it’s a system . I almost never shower prior to hunting , my freezers full .

https://experiencelife.lifetime.life/article/a-shower-a-day-washes-good-bacteria-away/

I know all about "the science". If I'm camping I don't usually shower every day, and some places there is no shower or water source where I camp. But I do clean the no no areas at minimum with water before bed. I'm still not going to be an ingredient in wing dipping sauce when I'm at home. I just use plain old soap and water, not antibacterial stuff.

I will use hand sanitizer when I go to certain stores. But never like some crazy lunatic and going through a bottle a day like some people I know. That stuffs more important to me as an accelerant to make fire in the rain then to waste it all on my hands.

20 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I know all about "the science". If I'm camping I don't usually shower every day, and some places there is no shower or water source where I camp. But I do clean the no no areas at minimum with water before bed. I'm still not going to be an ingredient in wing dipping sauce when I'm at home. I just use plain old soap and water, not antibacterial stuff.

I will use hand sanitizer when I go to certain stores. But never like some crazy lunatic and going through a bottle a day like some people I know. That stuffs more important to me as an accelerant to make fire in the rain then to waste it all on my hands.

I’ll think of you next time I take a long shower …..

• Haha 2